I watched a You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqXyWbwUHk) video of Brad Paisley demonstrating his Z Wreck amp. It was just him, his tele and the amp, and he was storming.

How the hell do people like him do things like that? When I play music on my own, it just isn’t interesting or musical. I hit a chord and improvise a lick, but it sounds dead, boring, uninteresting, amateurish, whatever. You could record Paisley’s solo demo piece and put it on an album, and he’s just messing around!

What am I missing, what is he doing to sustain the musicality of the piece? I don’t know any other way of phrasing it. It’s probably just talent!
I wish I could play like that guy...he just has years and years of experience, try not to let it put you off.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
he just has years and years of experience, try not to let it put you off.

^

If anyone could just "do it", he would be out of work, wouldn't he?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I guess it's because he's been playing for so long, he personally knows what to play what feels good to him, and it shows.

I feel the same as you at times, but I'll noodle about or come up with a riff and sometimes I'll hit something that sounds awesome to me, and then I'll remember it. He's just piecing together all his favourite little tid-bits. Again, this is just my guess on it.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
practice with rhythm. Last xmas my mother bought my son a little $30 electric drum machine. Its very customizable and has about 60 back tracks, many are GREAT to practice to. Im new and know EXACTLY what your saying. Everything I would play would sound thin and weak. The drums really help. Even if your just practicing chords.
he of tranquil mind
Don't lose hope buddy!

Most of the time when you listen to someone who is improving or demonstrating a new piece of equipment is piecing together what they're playing from little licks they came up with in advance. It's all just pieced together and the real improv is tying the transitions correctly.

I have my days where everything I play sounds like total audio-crap. Then I have other days where I get angry that I didn't have the record button going when everything I play sounds awesome. As long as you don't corner yourself into continuously performing the exact same material over and over, you naturally develop a "unique" element to your playing. This isn't to say repetitive practice is bad- not at all. It's a very good thing. What I'm referring to is always playing the same patterns when trying to make up new material. It's like broth. Mix it up on purpose. Go from one scale to another. If it sounds terrible, try another.
A good thing to do is practice and trying to make your lines groove without a backing. If you can get that that's a huge step forward for lead playing and for unaccompanied stuff.
It's not exactly the same thing but Dave Weiner did a lesson on playing acapella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSMCSd6dbs
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think it's a combination of him being a technically good player and having good tone. With that in mind, it's naturally going to sound good.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by deano_l
I watched a You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxqXyWbwUHk) video of Brad Paisley demonstrating his Z Wreck amp. It was just him, his tele and the amp, and he was storming.

How the hell do people like him do things like that? When I play music on my own, it just isn’t interesting or musical. I hit a chord and improvise a lick, but it sounds dead, boring, uninteresting, amateurish, whatever. You could record Paisley’s solo demo piece and put it on an album, and he’s just messing around!

What am I missing, what is he doing to sustain the musicality of the piece? I don’t know any other way of phrasing it. It’s probably just talent!

I don't really think his playing sounds so great, but maybe that's partly because I don't care much for the style.
When you're playing solo, you've really got to make sure everything comes together. A huge difference between a player that sounds "amateurish" and one that sounds good comes from things like accenting and phrasing; it's not what you're playing, it's how you play it. You also can't rely on other instruments to drown out your mistakes or to help you keep time, slow practise with a metronome really helps these aspects. It boils down to this: a good player will sound good regardless of whether he's on his own or playing with a band.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.