Alright so yesterday I was looking at craigslist for fun and I saw somebody needed somebody to put things up on Ebay for them, and they'd pay them. However, it turns out this is not a 70 year old women is just illiterate, but somebody who flips things to sell on Ebay. The guy claims he can pay like $5 commission on $100 jerseys that he's selling.

I never see the actual product he is selling, but the majority of my concern just is that I'm unsure if I could be screwed over by this into actually losing money, when he ships stuff the payment goes to my account and I send him the money - commission.

He's selling kinda strange things but they do seem like things that could sell in a month

Anybody done this before/heard about it?
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Where's the link, you dirty slut?

It must be on his profile! The horror!
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
I can't see how you'd lose money if you take it first and keep the commission. The only concern is that if the stuff doesn't get shipped, or there's something wrong with it, you'd be liable, seeing as it's your account.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
The seller isn't a guy; it's actually a hot woman who eventually marries Steve Carrell.

This.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
as everything else on the internet, it is a scam and a lie and the most despicable horrible thing you can ever imagine.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
so when you receive payment and send the commission on, and the product turns out to be fake or non-existant, who loses out?

or they get a friend to buy something, they send a payment, you send commission and the payment doesn't clear.

At best, you're dealing with an idiot, much more likely you're involved in a scam.

You may or may not be the victim but you're still part of screwing someone out of their money.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
so when you receive payment and send the commission on, and the product turns out to be fake or non-existant, who loses out?

or they get a friend to buy something, they send a payment, you send commission and the payment doesn't clear.

At best, you're dealing with an idiot, much more likely you're involved in a scam.

You may or may not be the victim but you're still part of screwing someone out of their money.

I wasn't going to send him money until I got feedback, that way I have the money until they get it and find out it actually is.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

This + 1,000,000.

A general rule of life: If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

This guy is offering you the chance to earn money for doing essentially nothing. There's no chance in hell you aren't going to end up being screwed over.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
"
Looking for eBay sellers who are looking to make an extra part time income. Serious inquires only please, most of the work will involve just listing up items and answering emails. I can discuss much more if you email me. I usually like to deal with reputable sellers only but email me your user ID name so I can check your reputation if you are interested. I have dealt with people interested but they only check their emails every two or three days which is not good enough. I need someone who checks their emails daily even if its a few minutes here and there. Thanks "
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Looking for eBay sellers who are looking to make an extra part time income. Serious inquires only please, most of the work will involve just listing up items and answering emails. I can discuss much more if you email me. I usually like to deal with reputable sellers only but email me your user ID name so I can check your reputation if you are interested. I have dealt with people interested but they only check their emails every two or three days which is not good enough. I need someone who checks their emails daily even if its a few minutes here and there. Thanks "

He needs reputable sellers so they have good feedback ratings - most of the con artists on ebay are easily spotted because they have zero feedback, by using a reputable seller the buyer doesn't realise it's a con until it's too late.

Like I said, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
haha you ended the quote before you even started it
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
I think I'm just gonna be cautious, a small income would not go amiss. If I find out anybody I sell to gets something fake/broken/etc. I can refund them their money before sending it to the guy
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

Quote by hriday_hazarika
The seller isn't a guy; it's actually a hot meh woman who eventually marries Steve Carrell.

fixed, her daughter was hot >_>
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I don't see any legitimate reason why the guy can't sell the things on Ebay on his own.

I'd be very cautious.
Basically the stuff is stolen.

EDIT: This is like a thread of massive, colourful signatures.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Aug 31, 2011,
What they're doing is making sure the liability sticks onto the person who is selling the item on their behalf but they themselves not being held liable as the seller as the only one who has actually agreed to anything is the scammee when they sign up to ebay.

What'll happen is the paypal transaction will go through your account which is the one that is held to buyer protection so the seller can demand a refund if they don't recieve the item within 45 days of the sale.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by King_Arthur
I think I'm just gonna be cautious, a small income would not go amiss. If I find out anybody I sell to gets something fake/broken/etc. I can refund them their money before sending it to the guy

OK, so you list something for the guy.
Someone buys it (an accomplice of the guy you listed it for).
They pay via foreign money transfer which appears to clear into your account.
You receive confirmation that they've received it.
You send this guy the payment minus your commission.
Some time later, the original payment fails and the money disappears from your account leaving you out of pocket.

Even though it appeared to clear into your account, this is only because your account knows the payment hasn't failed within a set time period. Some foreign payment transfers take significantly longer and the transfer will not be declined until some time later. At this point your account recognises that the money was never received and is deducted from your balance.

The additional delay with foreign bank transfers is what makes this scam possible.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by King_Arthur
I can refund them their money before sending it to the guy

You would still get stung for the listing fees and ebay's own commission...so you'd have to wait until the seller actually recieves the item for you to know which could be never, the fact that he didn't ship the item would still be your fault.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Primus2112
fixed, her daughter was hot >_>

Eh, her daughter was too goth/scene/whatever.

This may just be my "older woman bias" speaking here.