Poll: How often do you restring?
Poll Options
View poll results: How often do you restring?
~ 1 month
15 21%
~ 2 months
16 22%
~ 3 months
10 14%
~ 4 months
6 8%
~ 5 months
3 4%
~ 6 months
4 6%
6 + months
18 25%
Voters: 72.
I just restrung my guitar after having the same ones for probably 4months and i have no idea what stopped me from restringing for so long. Everything feels and sounds so much better now.

So how often do you restring your guitar?
Are there any others like me who can't stand restringing (and generally i clean my guitar too in the process) and postpone it for as long as they possibly can?
Quote by demondown666
they say once a month, but i wait till a break or till the strings dont feel right

This
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
after about 3 weeks to a month my strings begin to quickly turn black and basically disintegrate and when ever i play i end up with black stuff on my fingers, so i have to change them alot.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Changing strings is the biggest scam ever. Old strings missing top sparkle? Just eq it up with the 2-5khz range. No one will tell the difference, it will sound the same through amp.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
I change when my strings feel bad. Well, actually about three motnhs after they start to feel bad.

THREE MONTHS? You play half an hour per day? Seriously....
I play about 3 to 5 hours a day and I feel the need for new strings after 6-7 weeks.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I play maybe 3/4 hour a day so after 2 weeks it feels like I should change them but I usualy wait till 5/6 or maybe 7 months. My hands sweat ALOT when I play so thats an additional factor.
Usually about 1 a month, that includes 2-3hr long shows, and 4-5 2hr long practices with some diddlin in between.

i absolutely hate restringing though, hate it, i need a roadie
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
personally, when i have the monehz and the strings feel/sound dud. My guitar tutor on the other hand changes them before ever gig, which is most days O_O
I restring my electric guitars once a year, both on the same day.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
when i used daddario and ernie ball strings, i felt the need to restring like every 2-3 weeks, cuz the strings just started to feel pretty bad.

Now i use elixirs and i change those like every 2 months (that's pretty much how long it takes to me to snap them). Haven't really got to a point when they start feeling awkward
Until they break, which is a few years. 3 and a half years is my record.

And tears were shed by the UG elitist community as soon as they read this post.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
Until they break, which is a few years. 3 and a half years is my record.

And tears were shed by the UG elitist community as soon as they read this post.

I love you. That is exactly what I did in the first few years of owning a guitar
Quote by nandnor
Changing strings is the biggest scam ever. Old strings missing top sparkle? Just eq it up with the 2-5khz range. No one will tell the difference, it will sound the same through amp.

excuse the ignorance, what do you mean by eq'ing it "up with the 2-5khz range"?
The R8 gets restrung maybe twice per year.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i restring every two weeks to a month, can't go wrong with a brand new set of strings!
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
around 2 months or until they get too gnarly to play with. i use a pretty thick gague and i don't think i've ever had a string pop since i started using not even slinkys so i just swap when they're too scummy feeling to use.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I use either D'addario or Ernie ball strings and usually 10-52's.

I restring quite oftening now since the band practise's weekly and each practise session is 3 hours long. so that and then I also record song demos for the guys when I've written full songs structures out on Guitar pro, as well as restringing for gigs where necessary..

so erm yeeaaah I think you could say I've got the restringing shiz down to a tee now lol!

Mikeyprs
I have an acoustic i got from my aunt that i barely ever use. the strings on it are 20+ years old...
But my electrics are used til they snap, which is a couple of weeks usually
Gear:

Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Shecter Hellraiser Crimson Burst
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line6 Spider IV
Dunlop CryBaby Original:
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i don't even...

everyone is different man. Just hang out in GGnA for awhile and you'll see we have TONs of guitar string threads

too many imo

+1
Pointless thread.