Page 1 of 2
Because they're all stopping to produce them (in Europe) tomorrow:

The once ubiquitous 60W light bulb is about to plop off the production line for the last time across Europe. But while its light may be dimming, it is still illuminating many of our homes.

It is at once a thing of delicate beauty and robust science.

Encased in its own glass world, a miniature laboratory keeps a tiny thread of tungsten burning brightly. There is even a touch of romance in its soft flare, as it casts a painterly glow over the room and the faces of its occupants.

The 60W has long been the bulb of choice for the modestly-sized rooms in the typical British home. But this very domestic species will be put on the endangered list on Thursday 1 September, when an EU-wide ban on the manufacturing and importing of 60W incandescent clear light bulbs comes into force.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14715301

It's the end of an era. I'll always remember 60W bulbs. Might even buy a few just for old time's sake.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
loleurope
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Right, what the actual fuck? 60w bulbs are the only ones I use, for I care not about this bullshittery called 'Eco-Friendliness'.

To stop producing these bulbs is fucking stupid.

PaulyEDIT: Energy-saving lamps are FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

Surely that CAN'T be the reason that they're forcing people to use them!!

PaulyEDIT2: You know what? I'm going to find somewhere that I can buy magnesium strips from, and I'm going to buy like, a ton of them, press them all together and set fire to them. Fuck the dimly-lit homes of the future. Fuck the stupid expensive lightbulbs that can save you "On average £2.50 a year"

WOO FUCKITY DOO.

Last edited by PaulyVengeance at Aug 31, 2011,
I knew this was coming so i stocked up, i got a closet full of 100w and 60w bulbs and probably a few others.
the hell. thats what i have in my room right now
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by jetfuel495
inb4 hipsters only illuminating their vinyl listening parties with 60w bulbs

parties? too mainstream.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by jetfuel495
inb4 hipsters only illuminating their vinyl listening parties with 60w bulbs

i use halogen actually
Lol. They're gone in the US as well. 100W bulbs first.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Good.

Also 100w was pretty much always overkill.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
andnotasingle****wasgiventhatday.gif
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
NOOOOOO

WHY GOD WHY

WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO ANGER YOOOOUUUU!?!?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I'm not a fan of those squiggly 120-watt flourescents they're trying to get us to use. I feel like I'm in a hospital in my room.
Last edited by thewho65 at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by LordBishek
That's pretty cool. I'm glad to see us being a little more ecologically conscious.

We should go back to whale oil.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I assume that means the alternative is the really ****ing dim energy saving bulbs that are everywhere in the UK now.

...if not then I think the next step will be living in darkness, these bulbs are shit.

I remember when the Republic of Ireland first moved to energy saving bulbs (before the UK did) someone I know over there used to drive up to the North and stock up on bulbs...
You know shit's bad when you're illegally smuggling lightbulbs.
Quote by LordBishek
That's pretty cool. I'm glad to see us being a little more ecologically conscious.

You changed.

Your avatar that is. Neato!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
You know shit's bad when you're illegally smuggling lightbulbs.

I know right, what a twat.
Quote by severed-metal
You changed.

Your avatar that is. Neato!

In honour of my new favourite game

Quote by Jackal58
We should go back to whale oil.

Hold fast, Ahab, not all of us want to go cruising for a big Dick >_>
Wait...why are the 60w becoming banned? I'm confused on that point. I genuinely hope it isn't because some other wattage is more "eco-friendly". That'd be bullshit.
i'm not surprised, 60 watts is okay for gigging, but way too bright for bedroom use.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
What? That's bullshit. Those energy saving bulbs suck arse.

yeah they do. so stock up while you can.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
ESP: H-1001
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Digitech DT Whammy
Ibanez Sweeping Demon
Earthquake Bit Commander
Tone Mob Model 001 Fuzz Generator
DOD Bone Shaker
Stomp Under Foot Sonic Warfare
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Quote by JDizzle787
We're going to start transitioning to LED based lighting soon, provided there's a way to do it cheaply. I read about it in WIRED, and it pretty much explains everything that ya'll should learn about.

LEDs aren't great for lighting rooms - I've got 4 in my room, all facing different ways and my room ranges from bright white to really dim. They make good torches, but they're to directional for room lighting. Unless the ones I have just suck...
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
To be fair they're probably responsible for a hell of a lot of environmental damage. They're made to be nasty and disposable; they're outdated and harmful tech which I don't think we should mourn too much. I certainly won't miss them.
Quote by lyonk55
LEDs aren't great for lighting rooms - I've got 4 in my room, all facing different ways and my room ranges from bright white to really dim. They make good torches, but they're to directional for room lighting. Unless the ones I have just suck...

Nah, my mother recently installed some in our kitchen for some unknown reason. They really are shit for lighting anything other than 4 foot strips along the wall.
I hate the stupid eco bulbs too.
I have one in my room, and it starts off really dim for about 10 minutes, then it's a good level for another 10, then it's just bright white dentist light which makes my eyes hurt.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Nah, my mother recently installed some in our kitchen for some unknown reason. They really are shit for lighting anything other than 4 foot strips along the wall.
I hate the stupid eco bulbs too.
I have one in my room, and it starts off really dim for about 10 minutes, then it's a good level for another 10, then it's just bright white dentist light which makes my eyes hurt.

You must be buying the wrong ones. Ours work perfectly. Phillips also have some which look like the more warm, old bulbs.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Kumanji
To be fair they're probably responsible for a hell of a lot of environmental damage. They're made to be nasty and disposable; they're outdated and harmful tech which I don't think we should mourn too much. I certainly won't miss them.

Say hello to increased amounts of free mercury in the environment.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Kumanji

I'll buy twice as much of them just for you.
Jesus, talk about a first world problem. "Waa, the energy efficient lightbulbs produce a colour of light that is not my preferred hue".
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 2