C4C C4C C4C C4C

Hey music fans if you could head over to this youtube link and give our latest song

"The Journey Has Only Just Begun"

(currently unreleased) a gander and tell us what you think we will probably give you a chicken sandy or a handy. Post your C4C link in your comment!!
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Love the acoustic intro loads! You could probably do with a bass in the mix, drums are also nice at the beginning. Reminds me of Opeth somewhat.
I think the vocals should stand out a bit more, right now I think they sound too distant right now, on the other hand the scream/growls were very nice. Also the lead guitar fit nicely in the mix, but don't overdo it, the second time it comes in sounds like Metallica.

Overall, very impressive. Thanks for the crit earlier.
Shit dude, that was super epic. Huge sound. I agree with the EddieOwen though, I'm not a big fan of screaming but that's just my opinion. Sweet drumming, really tight and well recorded. Is that a professional studio job or what?
I loved the clean bits, the latest stuff I've been writing has way more clean stuff (ala Opeth and/or Russian Circles style), it makes a song heaps more tasteful I reckon.
I wasn't huge on the guitar tone of the guitar going hard left, it was a little bit shrill for my liking; that being said, it was heaps defined so I guess that's a pretty good payoff.
Basically man, wow. Really awesome. If I ever get a band up and running and you for some reason find yourself in Adelaide, let me know, we should totally jam together or something. Heaps impressive stuff.
Also checked out Oceanic, really liked the almost psych jazz bit around 1:20ish, reminded me a bit of Phish's earlier compositions. All over the place, but really together.
Member of the Laney Cult
Thanks for the comments!

We recorded the whole EP ourselves with one Shure SM57 mic and a M-Audio USB Interface. The drums are all programmed by our drummer in Addictive Drummer. Our other guitarist wrote most of this one and is super influenced by Opeth... If you have any other questions let me know!
Open Wide, The Sky

Last edited by Vinnie5 at Sep 1, 2011,
Really well done. Love how easily it transitions into clean and distortion parts. Overall great quality, great musicianship.
Wow man, that's really impressive considering what you had to work with. The sounds on Addictive drummer sound awesome, really tight.
Member of the Laney Cult
thanks for the crit i agree bout the blast beats they get real annoying.
real nice voice, for both growls and cleans and the cleans kind of surprised me. only thing is i think you should level out the volumes of the clean/distorted guitars, the clean parts overwhelm the distortion parts too much. other than that don't change the song up, it's great dude!
So you just commented on "Don't Be Irritated.. It's Whale!". It's funny that you gave me this song to crit, because I've already heard it. In fact, I already know of your band, I'm from DE, and I'm pretty good friends with Rob.

That being said, I love all of your guys' stuff. And you guys need shows with a little band called Last Nail Driven. Like them on facebook or send me an add. Name's Evan Hastings.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
hahaha holy shit dude I gotta send you a friend request.
Open Wide, The Sky

Bravo. One of the best songs I've heard on UG thus far! At some parts it really didn't sound very balanced, and my ears were crying out for something on the right side of my head :P Distorted guitars, as mentioned earlier, should be slightly louder.

But really good tones, and great musicianship. I'll be there when your EP comes out.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Really good man, the intro was sick and the drums were thunderous. I didnt care too much for the vocals but that could be up to taste. The lead work is done professionally and the rhythm is tight, dont see how you could improve it :P good job!
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
The recording was very well done, everything was well balanced and audible.

I liked the song structure, but I'm not a big fan of guitar solos. It was a tad long, but it managed to stay interesting and not get repetitive.
Really dig the singing, it adds a really spacey element to it that reminds me a lot of Mastodon's Oblivion, though it does get a little off-key at the end.

Overall the song's got a really cool feel to it, but it's a bit too drawn out IMO, you could've achieved the same feel with a song that took the best parts from this one and mashed them together, and created a better song, with less fillers. Like, I know what you're tying to achieve with the whole length of the song, it's supposed to have an "epic" feel to it, but at a certain point, the song just starts to sound the same, and not much new, exciting things are added into it.

As far as production goes, you need to work on the overall levels of things. At a few points, one side of the guitars would be very loud, while the other was barely audible. The drums were buried in quite a few places, but then at other times, there were cymbal hits that were WAY too loud. Overall though, it's on the right track, you just need to work on getting everything sounding clear and not like you're trying to distract the listener to one side, when it's clear that you don't want that to happen at that point.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 3, 2011,
Dude, seriously... well played. Well written, interesting song. I really enjoyed the mellower bits. Gotta say though, at times the cymbals drowned out the other instruments. Also at times, the clean vocals sounded a bit out of key. Overall, I thought the song itself was solid (obvious Opeth influences. I f#cking love Opeth), and the production sounded pretty good too.

Which DAW did you guys use?
Care to have a listen to mine: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477410
^We used Cubase 5, Thanks for the crit!!
Open Wide, The Sky

The clean guitars on the intro could use some more reverb and treble to get a rounder sound, not to mention that the guitar on the right was getting some clipping. Also the drums are buried a little too much in the background and the bass drum could use some more kick. I don't know, but it sounds like the sound could use some more definition. I'm not digging the heavy reverb on the vocals. Also, bring them forward a bit more in the distorted sections because they get overpowered by the guitars. May i suggest lowering the level of reverb while the vocalist is singing and then raise it to mainly get the trail at the end of each phrase during the clean section halfway through the song? I think it might give it that spacey sound without having the singer's voice mush against itself.

Overall it was an interesting song and i only wanted to point things that weren't mentioned before. The songwriting was amazing; some of the best i've heard in ug.

c4c?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Thanks GuitarHack, as you can see above we used Cubase 5 to record it. I see you used Mixcraft on yours, which it a great program but has alot of limitations. If you could get your hands on a profressional DAW like Cubase, Logic, or Pro Tools it would probably help out alot. Just fair warning they all have relatively steep learning curves.
Open Wide, The Sky

Quote by Vinnie5
Thanks GuitarHack, as you can see above we used Cubase 5 to record it. I see you used Mixcraft on yours, which it a great program but has alot of limitations. If you could get your hands on a profressional DAW like Cubase, Logic, or Pro Tools it would probably help out alot. Just fair warning they all have relatively steep learning curves.

Or just download Reaper for free
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Or just download Reaper for free

+1
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.