I feel bass isn't appreciated metal as much as it should.
I infact love a heavy bass section like Korn and cannibal corpse. ( personal fav bassists)

What are your thoughts on the roles and Benefits of heavy bass in metal/ post hard core/ Thrash/ metalcore/ deathmetal/ Nu metal/ Hard rock/ Classic metal/ power metal...etc

Favorite bassists in metal? bands who don't really use bass ( or turn it down the mix)

DISCUSS!
Cliff Burton, David Ellefson, Steve Harris, Ed Breckenridge.
Last edited by micromountain37 at Aug 31, 2011,
Lol.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Well, I really enjoy the bass player from Chiodos. Don't know his name but he;s got some pretty cool bass lines. Also, the bass player from Story of The Year, oh and from Thrice.
I'm FAT!
Without the bass the metals sounds thin and shitty. It's not audible as an instrument but without it it just sounds wrong.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Metal guitars especially like extreme metal guitars sound very thin and weak without the bass backing them. The bass is important but if you want to get noticed you play lead guitar or sing.

Or become epic at drumming like Frost.
Quote by micromountain37
Cliff Burton, David Ellefson, Steve Harris, Ed Breckenridge.

Needs moar Frank Bello (Skeleton in the Closet, 'nuff said). Steve Digiorgio too though I don't know him that well :/
Professional lurker since 2009.
Too many metal studio tracks either bury the bass in the mix or have it shadow the guitar. The bass comes alive in metal on live recordings and performances. You'd think producers would have seen the light by now.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Too many metal studio tracks either bury the bass in the mix or have it shadow the guitar. The bass comes alive in metal on live recordings and performances. You'd think producers would have seen the light by now.

You are absolutely correct. I am not the worlds biggest metal fan in fact its safe to say I dislike more than I like, but what I do listen to, unless it is very bass heavy from the get go or I have great speakers at the time of listening, is always very guitar oriented. Go to a show and the term "bring the thunder" really makes sense. I saw a local band called the roller, nothing special, but their bassist had a wall of cabs run by a mesa and an ampeg through a fuzz, sans bass driver etc, was incredible. But even with that rig, unless I listened hard, or the guitar split off or stopped, bass wasn't the easiest thing to differentiate. As people have said when it comes to most metal, you recognize it, you like it, but you really appreciate it once you hear the song without it.
Quote by askrere
You are absolutely correct. I am not the worlds biggest metal fan in fact its safe to say I dislike more than I like, but what I do listen to, unless it is very bass heavy from the get go or I have great speakers at the time of listening, is always very guitar oriented. Go to a show and the term "bring the thunder" really makes sense. I saw a local band called the roller, nothing special, but their bassist had a wall of cabs run by a mesa and an ampeg through a fuzz, sans bass driver etc, was incredible. But even with that rig, unless I listened hard, or the guitar split off or stopped, bass wasn't the easiest thing to differentiate. As people have said when it comes to most metal, you recognize it, you like it, but you really appreciate it once you hear the song without it.

You know what band turns their bass really loud and includes bass solos?
Cannibal corpse! their bassist is one of the best and really makes the cannibal corpse sound. Plus he writes most of the music.
I am surprised no one has mentioned any of the bass players from Death, they've always had such a dominating bass sound :/
The Bass in metal is vert important, with out the bass the music would sound light thats not what metal is about,but i think metal is very boring to play on the bass besides any thing by Cliff bourton thats fun,oh and i love metal jsut saying.
In the metal I listen to, the bass provides more tone than the guitars. It's absolutely integral and thoroughly appreciated.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Favorite metal bassists=David Ellefson, Jason Newsted, Geezer Butler, Stever Harris, Cliff Burton. Steve's earlier material is so good. He's kinda calmed down, but he's still a genius. I typically enjoy the metal bands that have an audible bass mix. I feel the different layers really add a lot to the sound.
I listen to doom. Bass is pretty important.

Everyone needs to check out Al Cisneros, btw.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I've always kinda viewed bass in metal as the roadie of the instruments, it's the least noticed, it doesn't usually get any fame, but it's absolutely essential to make the entire thing work well.
Quote by Sandshreeeew
I am surprised no one has mentioned any of the bass players from Death, they've always had such a dominating bass sound :/

I came here specifically to say that.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by gilly_90
I listen to doom. Bass is pretty important.

Everyone needs to check out Al Cisneros, btw.

I agree 125%, as doom and stoner metal are all I really like
it is under-appreciated but if we see the bright side there are plenty of bass players that adds spice to metal like the before mentioned, also adding John Myung, Dug Picnick, the bass player from Brain Drill, Jean Baudin etc
I play metal bass, and quite frankly, no one moves until I play. So... important? I think so. Plus I do some melodic stuff that the guitars don't and that only adds to the music.

I must mention we don't have a vocalist, so I add to the music to avoid repetition of the verse/chorus/verse formula that our guitarist follows. Just trying to keep it interesting for the listener.

Only good metal has bass. If the bass isn't prominent, then why listen? your missing an entire end of the music.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
i think bass is very under appreciated in metal but to be fair i think alot of metal bassists suck and dont contribute to the band at all.
i like a flashy bassline and you can do that real well in metal if your guitar lines are complicated enough to be able to do some complicated bass stuff with out over stepping the inforced boundries

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by Narcotics
i think bass is very under appreciated in metal but to be fair i think alot of metal bassists suck and dont contribute to the band at all.

This too.
Professional lurker since 2009.
in machine head songs, the bass is a stand alone instrument, its awesome

Megadeth songs have the sickest bass riffs (Wake up dead, Peace sells, good mourning/black friday, holy wars and so on
Early metallica was all about the bass, then ...and justice for all came along
Loads of proggy~metal bands have very good bassists, like Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and Me although its easier to hear this in slower less metal songs :/.

I do love listening to death metal and hearing a wee bass fill come out of nowhere then go back into following the guitar
Get good headphones, boost bass.

Or go to a live show. Don't watch live shows on youtube though, they usually sound like crap tbh but if you're there in person, you'll hear it just fine most of the time
pinga
Quote by SherlockHolmess
Justin Chancellor that is all

not exactly metal but excellent bassist
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
its more alternative rock/industrial i think
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
I play in a Folk metal band where the bass is an essential instrument.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!