So, I don't need another amp, but I would love to start messing with something i can get some real overdrive. I love Jack White, and I'm a sucker for blues/rock duos. I'm almost positive Jack uses a Silvertone 1485, but I can't find one! I don't really care, a 1484 would sound close right?

Are these good amps? I have tried a few, and they sound good to me! I would try getting one in the $450.00 range, with the original cab and everything in good condition. Would this amp be sufficient for heavy gigging? Next year, I will end up with a Reeves Custom 30, but for now, do you think this will give me my overdriven amp fix? I don't want to have bad tone, but I know tons of reputable artists have used 1484s.

The one I found on craigslist seems to be in well working condition, and the cab has the original matching Jensens. Should I be concerned about blowing out the speakers with my Big Muffs and what not?

I almost bought one of these before I got my twin, but the guys at the store told me it was incredibly fragile, and only good if i were a collecter (it was in perfect condition though).

Thanks.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Jack White uses all sorts of ugly, crap sounding amps. I think he does it to be funny. Silvertone were a cheap cardboard (I'm not exaggerating) amp made for Sears. Now that Jack White plays one streams of fools have bumped the price up to totally unworthy amounts. They really are a very bad amp. They are worth about $5, that's not what they cost but it's what they are worth.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 31, 2011,
Well, I understand that Jack does try to use "sh*ty" guitar gear, and that they are not of the highest quality, but I don't think they sound half bad. My Harmony has better craftsmanship then two of my Gibsons. I know they aren't worth as much as they cost, but they still seem like cool pieces of equipment. I'm probably better off waiting for my Reeves though.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

If you want to play around with an amp that you can drag good power amp distortion out of get yourself an 18W Marshall clone. Any that are built even half decent will be better quality than a cardboard Silvertone - and immeasurably cooler.
If one was to upgrade the dodgey parts of a Silvertone there'd be nothing left, including the cabinet. They used an el cheapo Jensen speaker which can give an interesting breakup. So maybe an 18W'er and experiment with different speakers. Plenty of kits out there - maybe build your own? Building 18W'ers is a time honored hobby. Go poke your head in at 18watt.com. Yes, there's a whole community sprung up around the 18W'er, that's how cool they are. They have such a huge following because they are good, not because some celebrity uses one.
Silvertones aren't like your guitar where it is cheap but good quality. Silvertones were cheap and built badly with cheap parts. Apart from fanboyism there really isn't a lot going for them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 31, 2011,
Owned a '64 one.

They're nothing special. Really cheap construction too.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i like the older silvertones as well. while i will readily admit they are not top of the line and never were, i have a 1482 and love it.

mine is not made of cardboard, it is made of what looks like some sorta ply wood. it's open back so i don't really care as long as it stays together (which it doesn't seem to have much trouble doing seeing as it's for the mid 60's).

i play out with mine as smaller gigs, has a nice big 12" speaker and i use a bit of tremelo usually. i like it cuz at the smaller gigs i can get a nice response from it cuz it is just starting to get pushed and responds to dynamics nicely.

i believe the 1482 was made by danelectro, but there are a number of companies that made S&R amps and i could be mistaken. for an amp that was mainly made to be a beginner/practice amp it sure kicks the absolute shit outta contemporary products it would compare to today.

edit: i guess it is made of press wood. i better keep that thing outta the damp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 31, 2011,
But Gumbi - who just decided to get himself an 18W'er?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i got the 18 watter coming. haven't played it yet, i am willing to bet it is more pro sounding than the danelectro. but the 1482 sounds good in a mix. it is hard to explain what i like... i am skeezer for gear though. i like high end and the fuzzy end of the stick.

i got all kinds of stuff. what can i say, i have a fetish for all kinds of gear. i got a pretty good deal on it and wanted a danelectro. i don't know shit about Jack White other than the fact that he makes tons of monies and i don't.

i guess i should say: "don't get a 1482 cuz you think it is some well built tone machine that will sound super versatile". but what i think is : i like it, and it goes great in my collection.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 31, 2011,
I don't want one because Jack has one, I just know they exist because of him.

I have looked into getting an 18 watter several times, but I never end up getting one. My concern now is if i ever wanted to gig with it, i wouldn't have enough clean headroom. I use the actual sound coming from my amp more than the monitor. I guess it's just preference but I like hearing my sound directly from my amp. I wouldn't say no to a super cheap 18 watt if i could find one, how ever i haven't looked at all. I wouldn't be able to build one. Any brands I should be looking out for?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps: