Page 1 of 2
In the days ahead, a baby will be born who will take the global population above 7 billion for the first time, and in all probability that birth will take place in China or India, the two countries with more than a billion inhabitants.

No one is sure. There may already be 7 billion passengers on spaceship earth, as no statistician would be prepared to say exactly when this event of largely symbolic significance takes place.

The billion-mark was reached only after 1800. As many as a billion have been added in the eleven years of the 21st century alone, and predictions on future population growth are now treated with the same caution and scepticism as long-range weather forecasts.

David Bloom of the Harvard School of Public Health says that the multitude of unpredictable factors means that taking a global view is problematic.

“Among them are infectious diseases, war, scientific progress, political change and our capacity for global cooperation,” he says.

The general expectation is, however, that population growth will tail off, with U.N. predictions for 2050 ranging from 8.0 to 10.5 billion.

“In the next 40 years we will have to produce the same amount of food as over the last 8,000 years,” the WWF’s Jason Clay believes. He notes that far too much is still thrown away in the industrialised world.

The optimists note that there have been repeated apocalyptic warnings of impending doom resulting from population growth, although they have not yet been realised.

In fact, technical and medical achievements have often led to a more positive outcome than that feared - not only as a result of the Pill and condom, but also through agricultural improvements.

And even the current population mark being passed takes on a new perspective when compared with the number of people the earth has played host to over the course of human history.

It is estimated that since Homo sapiens first appeared, there have been more than 100 billion of our kind - against which the current 7 billion should be set.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/article2412108.ece

(Invalid img)
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

We are a disgusting species.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Too much science keeping people alive these days.

We need to shut down hospitals for three years.

All of them.
The graph says it all, really
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by bestguitarsolo
Wow, Maybe 8 billion by the time we are all old and grey?

8 billion by next month by the looks of things.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by blake1221

All of them.

you're just mad cause there are more and more people that are better looking than you.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by bestguitarsolo
Wow, Maybe 8 billion by the time we are all old and grey?

in 1995, the year i was born, there was under 6 billion. at this rate, there'll be much, much more than 8 billion in 50 or so years.

unless by 'all', you mean the average age of this forum, which is around 80.

(jackal pushed the median up by 65)
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by MakinLattes
It would take 220 years to say "hi" (individually) to everyone in the world.

Not if you shove them all on the Isle of Wight and get a megaphone.

I remember when I saw on discovery channel that they were capping the pop at 5.5bil. That was like 2002.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by Dirge Humani

Is that little dip an influenza outbreak or something?

Bubonic plague ring any bells?

EDIT: Actually, the plague would be the first dip.

EDIT2: Smallpox maybe?

Last edited by Trowzaa at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by theogonia777
you're just mad cause there are more and more people that are better looking than you.

Well, we both know that this is just scientifically implausible.
Quote by MakinLattes
"Hi" to each person, not as a group.

Touché.

As my old Biology teacher said: ''Lads, we need a big world war or a massive plague. Sure we haven't had one in ages, nuke the fuckers I say!
I remember it was 6bil, around 10yrs ago.

At least someones getting laid, eh Pit?
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
I remember it was 6bil, around 10yrs ago.

At least someones getting laid, eh Pit?

I beg to differ,

The right version is:

Someone is constantly being made sex to without the right to refuse because in such countries men are dominant over women and they have the right to do so and abortion is not allowed because god wants you to overpopulate the earth with humans most of whom will die in early age and live all their life in poverty and despair.
We need a Children of Men style castration thing; mandatory for every child born. Infact tax and health care incentives for parents who opt in for it willingly!
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by loose bowels
We need a Children of Men style castration thing; mandatory for every child born. Infact tax and health care incentives for parents who opt in for it willingly!

Lead by example
Quote by blake1221

All of them.

i wonder what would happen in all seriousness. Like yea, people die cause they can't get treated, but would the death toll be even higher than that since anyone with an infectious disease would not be treated thus giving it to more people?

Or are doctor's offices still open?
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by loose bowels
But I haven't got any children.

That's not what I meant and you know it.
Quote by Wesseem
i wonder what would happen in all seriousness. Like yea, people die cause they can't get treated, but would the death toll be even higher than that since anyone with an infectious disease would not be treated thus giving it to more people?

Or are doctor's offices still open?

Well, duh.

That's the point.

Quote by UraniYum
I do not accept your begging.

Suck mah balls.
Last edited by Zeletros at Aug 31, 2011,
Page 1 of 2