Page 1 of 2
Yer completely skint and you need to get some calories in you, but without feeling too shitty by living on it. How do you manage this? I thought UG might have a few decent ideas.

Rice and pasta can make up cheap meals, but probably the cheapest I've come up with has been basics pasta, passata and kidney beans. Boil pasta, cook kidneys beans on the hob for a little while, then splash on some passata with a pinch of chilli powder, black pepper or both. Pasta can set you back 40 pence a packet (used to be 20 before the price doubled, what happened with that?). A third of the pack is 13p, half a can of kidney beans can be 10p, and the pasta is worth, like, 7p or something. So not much over 30 pence could do you up a satisfying meal there.

You can get chilli powder for under a quid. It's versatile, tasty and lasts for ages. You only need a real small amount for it.

What other ones do you have?
I try not to get into a situation where I only have 50p to buy a meal.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

Yeah, but if you can pull off a decent meal for real cheap, that's also pretty cool almost regardless of your economic circumstances.
kill an animal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Craigo
Yeah, but if you can pull off a decent meal for real cheap, that's also pretty cool almost regardless of your economic circumstances.

I admit, that is true.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Beans, rice, chicken.

I could live off of those three things for a while if I had to.

Well, and fruit and vegetables here and there too. Some of them are cheap, and you really shouldn't go without them.
Can't beat good old Kraft Cheesy pasta, ya can get a box for well under a quid and it feeds ya nice and good for a couple of hours.

Another one is boil up some pasta, fry up some mince, add mince to said pasta in the pot, pour in a tin of tomato soup, mix up, stick in a cassarole dish, grate some cheese on the top and stick in the oven for 10 mins. Beautiful.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by Simsimius

That's how you have to roll when you're a student.
I basically lived off pasta and rice for the best part of a year and lived to tell the tale. I'm also the only person I know who managed to have some of their student loan left over
Peppers and mushrooms are pretty cheap so you can use them to stop pasta and rice getting boring. Also, mix pasta and rice together. It sounds stupid but it's actually awesome.
go to the supermarket just before it closes and get all the reduced stuff they are about to chuck.
after bank holiday the other day i got 24 sausages for 70p and loads of pies and stuff 25p each.
then just shove them in the freezer.

eggs are always good to have as you can do a lot with them.
buy a big bag of rice and it will last ages. just add veg and spices.

also quorn pieces are surprisingly nice in stir frys or with rice, and lots cheaper than meat.
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by captainsnazz
That's how you have to roll when you're a student.
I basically lived off pasta and rice for the best part of a year and lived to tell the tale. I'm also the only person I know who managed to have some of their student loan left over
Peppers and mushrooms are pretty cheap so you can use them to stop pasta and rice getting boring. Also, mix pasta and rice together. It sounds stupid but it's actually awesome.

I basically live off peanut butter and bread at uni, so that's prob why I never get down to 50p [plus I don't budget I just spend whatever thanks to student loan].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Dabbling rice in some light soy sauce (you can get giant bottles for a quid if you look - I find them in the foreign foods section, and contains about three or four times the amount you normally get in a bottle of the same price) and some cheap green herbs (22p from Tescos would do) gives rice a bit more character for very little money.
This thread is so full of mouth watering win already. Keep sharing please.

Another one i do that's pretty cheap is:

Buy a pack of those little mini pitta bread things, pretty cheap. Spread some tomato puree and chuck on whatever veggies and cooked meats ya have in the fridge, some cheese on top and stick under the grill for 5 mins. Mini pitta pizzas!!
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Being a student (read: poor as ****), I've found that a really good cheapmeal consists of potatoes and eggs on a flour tortilla with ketchup. Not only is it delicious (especially so when you're stoned), it's inexpensive and can be put in the fridge to be eaten later.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by daytripper75
Beans, rice, chicken.

Sorry, MEAT!? Well la-dee-da Mr Moneybags!

Essentially most every meal I make at uni goes:

Fry a bunch of veg. Boil pasta. Use tinned tomatoes, cheapo soup, sachets of ketchup or whatever stolen from the local pub etc to make sauce.

Mix and eat.
Pizza from scratch is dead cheap, 50p buys you like 1.5kg flour, tomato paste is also 50p and lasts ages, ball of mozzarella is 30p, toppings are fairly cheap. Plus its awesome...
Probably not the healthiest, but when my friends and I were travelling, if they needed a really cheap meal, they just went and bought spinach dip, a roll of french bread, and a bag of veggies. It usually cost them around $7 (Canadian). But hey, it was cheap.
Quote by alkalineweeman
Buy a pack of those little mini pitta bread things

Oh man I forgot about pitta bread. And to combine that with what that other dude said. Pitta bread with peanut butter inside. Whoa. And pitta bread with cornflakes inside (sainsburys do a big bag for 25p) is so much more awesome than it sounds in a similar way to the rice/pasta combo thing
Quote by MakinLattes
Food sounds way cheaper over there than in the US. The most I could get for a dollar is seven packs of top ramen.

Looking on Google that's about 60p, so for noodles that pretty good value.

But yeah supermarket value ranges can be dirt cheap.
Quote by MakinLattes
Food sounds way cheaper over there than in the US. The most I could get for a dollar is seven packs of top ramen.

Don't you have value ranges? For example, can of kidney beans is probably about 45p/50p. Get the economy range and it's 20p. It's pretty ridiculous, and there's usually little difference between them.
From this thread I've learned that both american and english food is cheaper than swedish food. And yet you're the fast food eating ones...

Anyways, I can't contribute much besides from what's already been said. I also spend more of my money on food these days instead of cigars and alcohol so my price range is just slightly higher, but still relatively low. When you're trying to gain weight you can't eat the cheapest things all the time since you'll feel sick, but you can't afford the expensive stuff. Oh, the limbo I live in.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by MadClownDisease
Sorry, MEAT!? Well la-dee-da Mr Moneybags!

That's why I said chicken. Chicken is pretty damn cheap usually. You just have to wait until there is a sale, and you can buy a lot and freeze it. I've bought chicken for as little as $.70 per pound before. Great deal really.
When I'm low on money I tend to make vegetable fried rice. I always have frozen vegetables in my freezer and there's always rice around..

That or black bean and rice soup.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
At the end of the day, supermarkets throw out a load of very edible food. Can't get cheaper than that.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Simsimius

No one does, but if you can happily live on that, or even cheaper meals, even when you don't need to.... It's easy to save a small fortune for nice shit.
My average meal costs 4.50 euro's. Why u so poor pit?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Buy cheap cuts of meat from butchers. Got 500g of pork cheeks for £2 from the butchers, made a good stew with onions, tin of chopped tomato and whatever herbs you have around. Serve with rice, and you have dinner for 4, plus leftovers, for not much more than £2.
Stewing steak is also awesome, steak and ale pie is a really cheap dish, and always goes down well and seems really fancy.
Spaghetti with tomato sauce. Cheap (not sure how cheap this will be in Scotland), easy and everyone loves it!

This thread also made me realize that my plans of a mediterranean diet will probably be crushed after a week of uni

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Last edited by solo_freak at Aug 31, 2011,
Steal a small pack of ground beef from grocery store and steal veggie's from the community garden = week worth of chili for free
Quote by daytripper75
Beans, rice, chicken.

I could live off of those three things for a while if I had to.

Well, and fruit and vegetables here and there too. Some of them are cheap, and you really shouldn't go without them.

Great idea but isn't chicken quite expensive?
Ramen, rice'n'stuff, etc. The best thing about rice is that you can make way more than you'll eat, then save what's left and fry it the next day.

Keep an eye out for what fresh fruits and vegetables are in season. For example you can get 3 ears of corn at my Wal-mart right now for a buck.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by JohnSmith85
Great idea but isn't chicken quite expensive?
You can buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts for like seven or so dollars. You leave it in your freezer and they stay good forever.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
You can buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts for like seven or so dollars. You leave it in your freezer and they stay good forever.

The only problem I run into with this is they freeze together. That drastically ramps up your defrosting time.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
The only problem I run into with this is they freeze together. That drastically ramps up your defrosting time.
Yeah that is a problem. I bang it against the counter to break it up.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

If it's in a garbage can or on the floor, it's fair game. If your finances suck, sometimes you have to resort to that.

But seriously, there is a grocery store across the street from my school, and they sell expired food really cheap. I'm pretty sure it's illegal, but it's cheap. And I've been getting my lunch there for two years (because I don't give a **** about my health), and I'm still alive. Nor do I have brain daaaaaaamaedgfshdtfhrasdf
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Page 1 of 2