I saw mr big lastnight, and I was in the front row in the pit. I could see his pedalboard and amp. What I noticed was when he had every pedal off hid amp was pretty distorted. Marshall vintage modern. But for cleaned he would hit his detox eq pedal. And for solos he would hit his fuzz universe.

My question Is: can I get an eq pedal and use it to clean up my signal like he does? I'm using a Windsor with preamp vol on about 2 o'clock? And for distorted I turn it off, then when I solo I can hit my boosta granda for more gain?

I don't want a fender clean, I like some grit in my signal but not a tube amp cranked.

Thanks!
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
House of Blues, Houston?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yep....
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
As long as the EQ has the ability to cut your volume, ya. You could also do it by rolling back the volume knob on your guitar. You just need to cut the signal going into the preamp; how you accomplish that doesn't really matter.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You can test it out by turning your guitar volume way down, say 3-4, and then setting up your amp for a clean sound. Turn your guitar volume all the way up, and if that sounds good and distorted, you're all set. The EQ setup for that does the same thing; it's set up to cut the volume and shape the tone a bit. I would have it bump the mids up a bit to make up for the volume difference (set the mids a bit lower on your amp) and perhaps increase the treble.

Essentially, you can do this with any amp, but whether it responds in the way you want or not depends entirely on your setup, most notably how sensitive your amp is to the input signal.
vintage moderns are like modern-ish plexi type amps with preamp gain i think, so basically he just runs it with a fair amount of crunch, boosts it with the fuzz universe, if he wants to go to clean, instantly, detox eq and maybe a little volume knob rollback. its pretty simple. also playing dynamics help.