Looking for something small and quiet for bedroom use, ideally £100 or less but could stretch to £150 if it lasts. Would have to be fairly versatile as I like nice cleans, bluesy and rock tones, but it doesn't really need to be able to do anything particularly heavy. Anything that can handle RHCP, Clapton, Dire Straits through to AC/DC and Led Zeppelin would be perfect, really. Something that doesn't take up too much space would also be a bonus, but not the most important factor.

I've been looking at the Fender Mustang and Vox Valvetronix series amps, but not really sure what else is out there (really out of the loop, guys). I don't mind going used, in fact I'd probably prefer it as I could pick up a better deal on something, but I don't really know what to look for any more. I'm open to any suggestions for decent sounding amps to practice with at home.

Cheers.
You could also look at the Roland cube and the peavy vypry.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
He said that already.
roland cube
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by kutless999
He said that already.

And I am reinforcing his decision to buy it. It's one of the better modellers out there imho.

The Roland Cube is alright, it's a bit better for metal than anything else though.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yeah, the cube is good for metal. It also has a good clean tone.
Fender Vibro Champ
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
try the roland cube very versatile,great clean and many modelled amps.
mine has a tuner & a loop function also.
price wise you could get the cube 20-30 there are several models
the more bucks the more features
anything but the line 6 spider 4

you will never get a good blues tone out of that. The distortion is also really harsh

peavey vypyr has a very warm distortion and sounds good clean
If you sell that g400, and, assuming you have another guitar to use, you should have a bit more money for a better amp.

Maybe 250-300 Gbp, pushing it that is.

I'm not sure what the used market is like in the UK, but small tube combos should be what you are looking at.

Maybe a Marshall Class 5
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
check gumtree maybe the blackstar ht1 also?
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

About the Vibro Champ: is there any particular reason you recommend it? I haven't heard of that one, I don't think.

Quote by Guitarbaddie
If you sell that g400, and, assuming you have another guitar to use, you should have a bit more money for a better amp.

Maybe 250-300 Gbp, pushing it that is.

I'm not sure what the used market is like in the UK, but small tube combos should be what you are looking at.

Maybe a Marshall Class 5

The G400 is the only piece of gear that I have at the moment; I'm selling that to part-fund a new guitar and amp. I'm not really after a valve amp at the moment as I just want something that will do low volumes and be fairly light, compact and cheap; no point in splashing out on anything more expensive at the moment as my primary concern is to iron out all the issues with my playing and get back on track.
This is going to be one of those threads where everybody says one of 4 things so at least in that sense we already know the boundaries. You will be advised on either the Vox VT, Fender Mustang (both of which you have already mentioned), Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr.

The Vypyr in my opinion is suited much more towards rock and metal
The Cube is good at both end of the spectrum, awesome clean and dirty. The 'marshall' tones in my opinion are lacking somewhat.
The Vox excels with the british crunch tones as far as I'm concerned and
The Fender is pretty solid with cleans but as it gets heavier the quality degrades.

With that I would suggest the Vox however if you look on Gumtree you may be able to find a nice tube combo, that would help. Maybe somehting like a Bugera V5 or BC15. I haven't tried either but they are small and cheap
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by Denthúl
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

About the Vibro Champ: is there any particular reason you recommend it? I haven't heard of that one, I don't think.

The G400 is the only piece of gear that I have at the moment; I'm selling that to part-fund a new guitar and amp. I'm not really after a valve amp at the moment as I just want something that will do low volumes and be fairly light, compact and cheap; no point in splashing out on anything more expensive at the moment as my primary concern is to iron out all the issues with my playing and get back on track.

I stand by the Valvetronix then.

Or a Vypyr 30
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Roland Micro Cube, Roland Cube 20XL Those amps are small, cheap and versatile. Not to mention they sound great. Way better than anything Line 6 has ever done.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Thanks guys, that gives me a couple more to try than originally planned when I go in to town this...sorry, no, not missing Monza for guitars. Next weekend.

Keep 'em coming, I'd like as many options as possible.
Quote by Denthúl
Thanks guys, that gives me a couple more to try than originally planned when I go in to town this...sorry, no, not missing Monza for guitars. Next weekend.

Keep 'em coming, I'd like as many options as possible.

I still stand by my used, small tube combo idea though.

You may be starting out, but that doesn't mean you have to have bad tone.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
do you need a absolutly need a multi effect ?? cause my experience with modeler = they all suck IMO , ive had a lot of them .. roland cube , vypyr 30 , behringer v-amp 2 , vox tonelab , digitech 1101 etc..

and if i could make a suggestion ( for the style you name .) .. check out the OLD solid state Marshall form the 80's ( NOT the valvestate or MG series ) . the 5010 (30 watts ) , 5210 ( 50watts) , lead 12 , part of the JCM 800 series . these are the solid state version.

in UK .. you could get one probably for very cheap ( even the marshall 5210 with 1x12 celestion).. and imo they sound a lot closer to a real amp ( they are called : the "JCM 800 solid state" cause they are part of this serie ) than all the cheap modeler/multi fx . it wont do 22 effect and 45 amp like most modeler do .. but it will sound great .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-1U6c8lmTc

Those old marshall were equip with good celestion speaker ( the 5210 come with a celestion g12-70) as opposed to all those modeler who come with "custom voice speaker " that are usually garbage .

if you can try one , do it . they do clean and smooth overdrive very good at low volume . . one trick pony but at least it does it good

im done with that modeling technology perosnanly where they give you 22 amp model and only 1 or 2 are usable and tons of effect you probably wont use . the "model8ing tehcnology havent impressed me at all

id choose a solid state amplifier ( a good one from the 80's /90's non modeler before a lot of modeler )

try the old marshall 5210 , 5010 .. and see for yourself ..
+

modeler IMO never been able to capture the "overdrive" tone .. some are decent high gain .. but overdriven amp sound in a modeler is very rare ( think ac/dc ) .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Skysc
do you need a absolutly need a multi effect ?? cause my experience with modeler = they all suck IMO , ive had a lot of them .. roland cube , vypyr 30 , behringer v-amp 2 , vox tonelab , digitech 1101 etc..

and if i could make a suggestion ( for the style you name .) .. check out the OLD solid state Marshall form the 80's ( NOT the valvestate or MG series ) . the 5010 (30 watts ) , 5210 ( 50watts) , lead 12 , part of the JCM 800 series . these are the solid state version.

in UK .. you could get one probably for cheap ( even the marshall 5210 with 1x12 celestion).. and imo they sound a lot closer to a real amp ( they are called : the "JCM 800 solid state" cause they are part of this serie ) than all the cheap modeler/multi fx . it wont do 22 effect and 45 amp like most modeler do .. but it will sound great .

Those old marshall were equip with good celestion speaker ( the 5210 come with a celestion g12-70) as opposed to all those modeler who come with "custom voice speaker " that are usually garbage .

if you can try one , do it . they do clean and smooth overdrive very good at low volume . . one trick pony but at least it does it good

im done with that modeling technology perosnanly where they give you 22 amp model and only 1 or 2 are usable and tons of effect you probably wont use . the "model8ing tehcnology havent impressed me at all

id choose a solid state amplifier ( a good one from the 80's /90's non modeler before a lot of modeler )

try the old marshall 5210 , 5010 .. and see for yourself ..
+

modeler IMO never been able to capture the "overdrive" tone .. some are decent high gain .. but overdriven amp sound in a modeler is very rare ( think ac/dc ) .

The axe fx2 doesn't stink.
LOl of course the axe fx II doesnt stink .. its only 2699 $ . but under that ..i tried a lot .. even the 500 $ digitech gsp1101 and it suck . maybe the eleven rack has 1 or 2 amp sim i like . but overall , so far , the modeling technology hasnt impressed me .

Im using gear from the 90's and have a lot better result than all the pod , cube , vypyr etc..

my rocktron voodu valve sound better through headphone than pod , v-amp , vypyr , cube etc.. and this preamp is from 1995 .

same for the ADA-mp1 , rocktron piranha , marshall jmp-1 .

maybe effect wise .. the modeling technology is good .. but the amp simulation is far from being great theres something "unatural" is every modeler IMO .

these old marshall solid state from the 80's actually sound good . they came equip with celestion back in the day and they make all the difference . those "custom voice speaker " for modeler suck IMO .

im not against modeler .. but IMO the core tones is jsut isnt there yet .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 31, 2011,
Did you actually try to get a good sound from the gsp or did you just flip through the amp models and see what they sounded like? You have to spend some time with modelers because if don't, you won't get a sound you like.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I still stand by my used, small tube combo idea though.

You may be starting out, but that doesn't mean you have to have bad tone.

Dude, I'm not starting out and I'm sure about the category I want to look in to for this. It ain't t00bz.
Pffft. Be a real man and build an old Champ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Pffft. Be a real man and build an old Champ.

I've never actually seen an old champ for sale.
That's why you build them yourself. Simplest amp in the world.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's why you build them yourself. Simplest amp in the world.

Schematics?

Not that I really know how to read them.
Nice. I think before tackling anything like that, I might try one of those simple pedal kits to make sure I get the soldering right. I'm pretty hit-and-miss with it.

Cheers, Cathbard.