i want to get a tube screamer to further enhance my metal tonez, i know alot of bands use the ts-9 or the 808, the 808 is considerably more expensive, so whats the difference between the two. I play deathcore/metal, like within the ruins chelsea grin kinda shit
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
mostly parts. the 808 is more of a boutique type pedal. the regular ts-9 will do you just fine.
Quote by monwobobbo
mostly parts. the 808 is more of a boutique type pedal. the regular ts-9 will do you just fine.

i don't mean to sound condescending, you are knowledgeable. unfortunately the tubescreamer has much nostalgia attached to it and plenty of rumors are around as to the differences in design between models.

the truth is more like the designs are just about identical with some changes to some resistor and cap values and switching to more affordable opamps. there are some great articles that go through these changes very meticulously.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm

visual sound did a great video on opamp differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpTv2jAree8&feature=related

the differences are basically small enough for most people not to care.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I have a Maxon OD808. One was modled after the other (I think) and the T'S9 has a treble spike (or scoop- I forget) - never tried one.
I use it as a clean boost (vol all the way up and no gain). The Bad Monkey does the trick too (and for cheaper). I had one and if it didn't break, I'd still be using it.
With ur amp any one of these should do the trick.
The TS7 is only 2 resistors away from being a TS-808 and it's miles cheaper than either of the others.
Quote by gumbilicious
i don't mean to sound condescending, you are knowledgeable. unfortunately the tubescreamer has much nostalgia attached to it and plenty of rumors are around as to the differences in design between models.

the truth is more like the designs are just about identical with some changes to some resistor and cap values and switching to more affordable opamps. there are some great articles that go through these changes very meticulously.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm

visual sound did a great video on opamp differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpTv2jAree8&feature=related

the differences are basically small enough for most people not to care.

yeah parts. as mentioned the designs are basically the same but a a few "PARTS" are diffeent. the 808 design came first then the better known Tubescreamer. thye do pretty much the same thing and the minor differences in sound are more about taste then anything. oh and Maxon was the original pedal maker for Ibanez back in the 80s which explains why there pedals seem to be the same (although more expensive.)

i've owned both the 808 and the Tubescreamer (originals) and didn't find a big difference between the 2. but that's just my experience. from what the OP was saying it didn't seem like he needed a fancier pedal. just my advice, nothing more.
two resistors

if you're only using it as a boost for an already overdriven high gain amp, get the cheapest variant you can (doesn't even have to be ibanez, there are about a bazillion clones) which is still reliable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ibanez734
The TS7 is only 2 resistors away from being a TS-808 and it's miles cheaper than either of the others.

+1. My TS7 is one of my favorite pedals. Only cost me $25 on eBay. Buying anything more expensive than a TS7, Bad Monkey or a Boss SD1 as a boost is literally a waste of money.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X