I'm currently in Open C tuning and I've often tuned to DADGAD, sort of leaned Drifting, got bored and tuned back. I like to write my own stuff, but I just don't get DADGAD. Who uses it and what styles do you write in it? And how?
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611
All open tuning does/ any tuning does in general is change chord shapes for your fingers and allows open strings to be more accessible. Look at Drop D tuning. One finger power chords. It is convenient.

The reason you would use open tunings is merely to play different chords easier. DADGAD has 3 D's and 2 A's in it and your D major triad has D,F#,A.

As you can see from that you could play a D major just by putting 1 finger on the 11th fret of the G string. This is one of a million other possibilities. You can write in any style. Tuning does NOT dictate what you write or how you write, it is a tool of convenience.

if all else fails, just play some regular chord shapes while in dadgag. you'll start finding that some actually make very interesting sounds. keep noodling and next thing ya know, you're playing entirely different stuff with different flavors
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Great, thanks. Its always annoyed me. Never been able to use it. The next time I tune I'll have another go.
Fuck the system - Use non-standard tunings!

"Now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to play, that there is no stable lad who is not a musician on the guitar" Inquisitor Covarrubias 1611