So with my HSH guitar configuration, I've been trying to balance out the pickups as best as possible.
The bridge is very powerful and trebley, ceramic at about 14K.
The middle is blended alright, alnico at around 13k.
The neck is the problem. It's about 10K, ceramic, but the difference in it and the middle pickup makes the neck much stronger and "woofy".
I fixed this problem by lowering it, so low that it's flush with the mounting ring.
So I thought of something, what if I just wired it in parallel?
It seems this would make it lower output and have more treble, which is what I may need, and I could also raise the height of it to balance it out.
Would this solve my problem?
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
So with my HSH guitar configuration, I've been trying to balance out the pickups as best as possible.
The bridge is very powerful and trebley, ceramic at about 14K.
The middle is blended alright, alnico at around 13k.
The neck is the problem. It's about 10K, ceramic, but the difference in it and the middle pickup makes the neck much stronger and "woofy".
I fixed this problem by lowering it, so low that it's flush with the mounting ring.
So I thought of something, what if I just wired it in parallel?
It seems this would make it lower output and have more treble, which is what I may need, and I could also raise the height of it to balance it out.
Would this solve my problem?

My Ibanez RG321 was similar from the factory, with a really dull ceramic neck pup. The stock wiring in that guitar gave the parallel connected neck humbucker option, and it sounded really good. had a nice Strat tone to it actually.
It's not that it's dull, I think where it's such a hot neck pickup, it seems overly bassy and powerful.
I think a single coil/treble like tone would be best for the neck position, I kind of want an airy harmonic, yet still mellow and decent output sound.
I may just have to try it, but I wanted some input if there were any pros or cons considering my situation.
And the pickups are GFS by the way.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
It's not that it's dull, I think where it's such a hot neck pickup, it seems overly bassy and powerful.
I think a single coil/treble like tone would be best for the neck position, I kind of want an airy harmonic, yet still mellow and decent output sound.
I may just have to try it, but I wanted some input if there were any pros or cons considering my situation.
And the pickups are GFS by the way.

If they are 4 wire pickups, put a coil tap in.

Which GFS bucker?
If I go about doing this modification, it will be permanent, since I recently installed 1 meg vol/tone pots, and I don't want switches or push/pull pots.
It's the GFS crunchy pats.
They are 4 wire conductor, and i'd much rather use hum cancelling if it's permanent, I just thought parallel for the neck would give me a more desirable and balanced sound for the guitar overall.
Cusp of Magic
maybe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hawk5211
If they are 4 wire pickups, put a coil tap in.

Which GFS bucker?

Parallel sounds better than a split pickup almost all of the time, and it still cancels hum. Its a much better option than a split really.

Wiring it in parallel will give you a more single-coily tone, I think you'd like it based on what you've said.
yeah. the only time you really want a split is if sounding as much like a single coil as possible is the main priority. Say in an HSH or HSS setup. Personally I'd prefer parallel in an HH setup.

for this case, though, parallel might work even though it is HSH. Assuming it's possible on the switch.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?