i have no idea of how to analyze songs and i was wondering if i could get tips or even how to do that.
Different types of music require different types of analysis. Sometimes you want to examine the chord structures, while other times the rhythms or the intervals, and sometimes even just looking at the style is helpful.

Examples: Mozart would be chord focused. Some types of metal would be more rhythm/interval based. Style...when you look at something like a Rage Against the Machine theres not much point to chord structures, but looking at the style its played can add some interesting things to your own playing.
Also, the most common thing is going to be chord structures. If thats what you're looking for you're going to want to learn at least basic music theory, which is a subject (or hundreds of) all of its own.
Well it depends on how much theory you know.

If you know some:
Take a look at the key chord progression first of all. Chordal analysis to get the motion of the piece is what I consider to be the thing that will give you the most insight. Taking a look at how the melody relates to the underlying chords can also be very insightful. After that, (or while doing that) look at how the overall motion goes. If the bass goes down step by step for example. Things like that. If there are accidentals or a strange scale used, figure out what it is and what role it plays. The important thing when analyzing for yourself is to know how a specific part sounded (the feel it gave off) and why it was that way. Then you can add it to your toolbox of musical techniques.

If you don't know any:
You'll really have to learn some. Knowing your keys, diatonic harmony, chord structure, modulations, (I'm sure there are things I forgot to mention), are all very important when going to analyze a piece. Take a look at musictheory.net. It's a good starting point. A real teacher is always the better option of course, but if that isn't viable then that's a good starting point.

Edit: What Whisperffs said. It also depends quite a bit on the piece and what you want to find out. Could be the chord progression, scale used, rhythm for a section, how a subject and countersubject interact and so on. First pick a piece, then choose what you want to find out from it. After that you'll know what you need to learn/do in order to analyze it.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Lazr
i have no idea of how to analyze songs and i was wondering if i could get tips or even how to do that.

Sure,

1. learn the major scale. Be able to write it perfectly in any key
2. learn the Harmonized major scale
3. Learn Roman Numeric notation for chords
4. Learn cadences.

That's a good start for beginners.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Sure,

4. Learn cadences.

Best,

Sean

This website will help with all of this.

Just go through slowly and make sure you're good with them all.
Quote by Sean0913
Sure,

4. Learn cadences.

Best,

Sean

Do you mean that C major makes up C major D minor E minor F major etc?
Quote by liampje
Do you mean that C major makes up C major D minor E minor F major etc?

Yeah that's it, stacking 3rds.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by Lazr

First off, listen to The Sound of Animals Fighting and don't necessarily listen to any single track. Listen to it as a whole and let the emotion flow inside you. That is truly how you analyze songs. If you pay attention to just track by track then it takes awhile fully appreciate a song. Just pay attention to all the pitch changes on every track, how they all connect, and how they flow naturally together.
In functional harmony chords provide movement, a movement can be in a key or from one key to the next, some chords are stable and other are not, non stable chords will want to be resolved eventually to a stable chord. each chord in the progression as a function. analyzing the harmony helps us understand the how the chords are functioning in the progression, this hint to the different sound palettes that can be used as melody over the chords and also which extensions/subs can be applied
Quote by Lazr

First off, listen to The Sound of Animals Fighting and don't necessarily listen to any single track. Listen to it as a whole and let the emotion flow inside you. That is truly how you analyze songs. If you pay attention to just track by track then it takes awhile fully appreciate a song. Just pay attention to all the pitch changes on every track, how they all connect, and how they flow naturally together.

1. learn the major scale. Be able to write it perfectly in any key 2. learn the Harmonized major scale 3. Learn Roman Numeric notation for chords 4. Learn cadences.

thanks soo much !! it's very helpfull to all the beginners like me !!

.................................................. ..
How To Kiss A Guy