Budget? - Up to £750

Genres? - Rock and Roll, "bluesy" styled bands (Think GnR, ZZ Top etc... that fat, rich distortion) Cleans would be a bonus!

New or Used? - Either

Home or Gig? - Will be used for gigs with a drummer and bassist. We're starting to play pubs, small stages and other similar areas... under 500 people?

Closest City? - Portsmouth, UK

Current Gear? - Gibson Les Paul Studio (stock). No pedals, no other equipment... the amp's an MG... it must be replaced/destroyed!

I've been looking online at my local music stores stocks and the Blackstar HT stage 60 caught my eye... Will that give me the sounds/power I'll be needing? Otherwise, what else could you recommend?

Any other questions I'll happily answer! cheers in advance
Andertons are blowing out some Cronford Roadhouse amps for about that much, much better than Blackstar.

Also you could get some tasty JTM builds for that much 2nd hand.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Which model would you recommend? There's no amps near here that I can try out so I'll have to just judge from Youtube clips...

Bump.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Andertons are blowing out some Cronford Roadhouse amps for about that much, much better than Blackstar.

Also you could get some tasty JTM builds for that much 2nd hand.

This. JTM or plexi builds with a PPIMV if you're concerned about volume.

A Vintage Modern or 18W TMB would also do the trick.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Im with tom on the cornford, first thing that prang to mind, andertons have brought the remainder of their stock at discount price and are passing the discount onto the customer! Check it out.
Just had a look at those cornford amps, looks like they don't have any reverb on them? I'd prefer an amp with that built in... just personal preference I guess

Edit: that and footswitchable channels would be sweet as
Last edited by Ajm007 at Sep 1, 2011,
Hmm... alright I'll keep it in mind, might have a roadtrip up to their shop in Guildford and try it out... see if I can bribe a reverb pedal out of them

Any other ideas? and which one of those Cornford amps would be best? I don't know much about tube amps and their volumes... will 50w be loud enough? and is the combo gonna be as good as the head+cab? :S
50 watt will be loud enough for any situation, too loud in some cases. I prefer head + cab for flexibility and portobility myself!
The roadhouse is the main one because it used to be over 1000 and now its getting blown out by andertons for half the price.

I havent personally played a roadhouse but i've played a few cornfords and none have been bad they have all been awesome!
Quote by Ajm007
Just had a look at those cornford amps, looks like they don't have any reverb on them? I'd prefer an amp with that built in... just personal preference I guess

Edit: that and footswitchable channels would be sweet as

With the exception of a few Fenders, I've never played an amp whose onboard reverb wasn't totally worthless.

YMMV.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
the stage 60 is pretty good, It is supposed to be hybrid, But, hybrid is supposed to mean a SS preamp, but it is full valve, i just think they used some SS components to enhance sounds, where would tech be without some new ideas here and there?

I'm a little biased, as im getting it with the 212 extention on tues.

Woot.
Hmm... alright I'll give it a shot at some point!

I'll try the 50w combo and the 30w head and cab...

- Will it be worth saving for the 50w head rather than the 30w?
- Celestion seventy 80 speakers or V30's? (I'm a complete h/c noob )
^^ 70/80s are crap.

Alright so I'll go and try that out some point very soon...

If I were to ask for recommendations for an amp with a clean channel as well as a crunch/dist. channel... what would be the options to test out?
For blues rock?

A Laney might do the trick.

You can get some really nice Reverbs quite cheap. High quality digital reverb has been around since the late 80's. A good Reverb from the 80's like a Quadraverb or a Lexicon can be found silly cheap and they keep up with anything made today.
Get the Comford. The 30 is EL84 valves and the 50 EL34's isn't it? If so then you will get quite a lot more power amp distortion than the relative figures would suggest. EL84's break up earlier, that's why bluesmen like them. An EL34 amp is going to give you a lot more clean headroom.
Being England you should be able to get something like a Marshall 1936 2x12" loaded with G12T-75's for a decent price surely? That would do nicely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
One last question... will the roadhouse 50 combo manage an Iron Maiden tone?