Unrelated to string/spring tension causing the bridge to angle up or down, but I mean the screws that allow you to raise or lower the placement of the FR bridge. Can it be raised up out of the body a lot or does it have to stay pretty close to being completely covered/inside the cavity?

Thanks.
You can raise it up to the point of having a single thread holding it on; if that's the way you want your guitar to be set up.
Remember though, when adjusting the action of a floyd rose, or any other style of trem with knife edges, you always want to move the trem away from the pivot screws. Moving these up and down with the knife edges against them will dull the edges very fast. Take the spring off and full the trem out of the body, make your adjustments, and put it back together. Repeat until the action is at the desired height.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
He means to loosen or take your strings off, and physically remove the Floyd rose before making adjustments to the posts.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
He means to loosen or take your strings off, and physically remove the Floyd rose before making adjustments to the posts.

I wouldn't, and have done it without, taking the strings off. Leave the nut locked. Pull all the springs off from the cavity in the back of the guitar, and pull the trem out that way.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I hadn't thought of that, that probably is a good way to do it though. @fixation it doesn't matter, haha you're taking the bridge off the posts anyway. After you make the adjustments to the posts, put the bridge back and screw the claw back.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It sounds like you are getting into something you know nothing about, first off what exactly is it that you want to do to your guitar ?
if your raising the action you dont have to loosen anything or take anything out, with floyds is that you can raise or lower the action with out affecting the tuning very much because your raising lowing the whole bridge its self, your not putting tension on the strings
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by Offworld92
I hadn't thought of that, that probably is a good way to do it though. @fixation it doesn't matter, haha you're taking the bridge off the posts anyway. After you make the adjustments to the posts, put the bridge back and screw the claw back.

Oh okay, so just loosen the strings enough that I can take the bridge off while the strings are still attached to it, and then adjust the posts?

Quote by sstony
It sounds like you are getting into something you know nothing about, first off what exactly is it that you want to do to your guitar ?

I suppose, but how else do you learn? Ask questions and try things. I want to know if it's possible to raise the FR as high as a Tune-o-Matic, and then shim the bolt-on neck to adjust for the raised action.
The reason a tune-o-matic is higher is because it's not recessed into the body. The FR and it's variants are recessed in, save for some old Kramers, meaning it won't need to be as high. If you do that, you're action will be awful high. Not to mention when you shim the neck, you're losing contact points for the vibration. FR and TOM bridges also have different neck angles for each. Why don't you just go get a TOM equipped guitar. Raising it up that high will cause some problems.
I have TOM and FR guitars. You're right, it'd be easiest and most convenient to stick with TOM guitars since I prefer how that neck angle feels, but it's just that I like being able to use a whammy bar, but I suppose not at the price of overall comfort.
A non recessed Floyd might be something to look at. But I don't know many makers who do that anymore.
Maybe also look into the Digitech whammy. its not the same though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So do you think trying to raise the FR bridge and shim the neck and go through all that wouldn't be worth it? Would I just end up with a FR that doesn't work correctly and overall less sustain due to a shimmed neck?

I'll definitely look into some whammy pedals.
The Floyd will work right, but you'll certainly lose sustain with a shim. The more contact between the body wood and the neck wood, the better. Those whammy pedals aren't so bad really. It just takes a bit of getting used to using your feet for that effect than your hand.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Oh okay, so just loosen the strings enough that I can take the bridge off while the strings are still attached to it, and then adjust the posts?

I suppose, but how else do you learn? Ask questions and try things. I want to know if it's possible to raise the FR as high as a Tune-o-Matic, and then shim the bolt-on neck to adjust for the raised action.

Why do you want to do this is the real question, is there something wrong with your guitar ?
I like the neck angle of TOM guitars. It makes it more comfy for my right hand. Conversely, I like Floyd Roses, but I don't like the straight non-angled neck.

I wanted to see if I could mimic the TOM bridge height and neck angle using a FR guitar.
Sustain= how long you can hold a note. It is one of those things that has as much to do with the operator as it does the gear your using.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
Sustain= how long you can hold a note. It is one of those things that has as much to do with the operator as it does the gear your using.

How does its affects come into play when using distortion though, and just considering the tone of the note you hold? Regardless of how long you can hold it for.
have to wonder if you'd have intonation problems from doing this to begin with. since a floyd doesn't have the same saddle set up as a TOM the angle of you strings would be all wrong. seems like learning to reposition your hand would be easier.