Hello everyone, a few weeks ago my uncle finally got out his 1965 Fender Precision Bass to show me and I was just wondering how much that would be worth now days.
I don't really know much about it, but it has the metal bridge and pickup covers, if that helps any.

Thanks in advance, Adam
Quote by asmithgdci
Hello everyone, a few weeks ago my uncle finally got out his 1965 Fender Precision Bass to show me and I was just wondering how much that would be worth now days.
I don't really know much about it, but it has the metal bridge and pickup covers, if that helps any.

Thanks in advance, Adam

forgot to say that it might not be 1965, my uncle can't remember
Grab the serial number from the headstock and go to the guitar dater project.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
If it is a 1965, then you're in a bit of a quandary. That is the year that Fender was sold to CBS, so you'd have to determine if your uncle's bass is a "Pre-CBS" or a "Post-CBS." Call Gruhn Guitars with the serial number and other pertinent details. They're a leader in the field of vintage guitar and bass authentication, appraisal and sales.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well there's a bit of a problem with getting the serial number, he lives 8 hours away, and I only see him once a year if that. The best I can do is an old band picture that I have where he is playing it. Is there a huge difference in price between Pre-CBS and Post-CBS?
Indeed there is. The difference could be a few to several thousand dollars, depending on the condition and whether all of the parts are original. Call him up, get the serial number and give Gruhn a call. They're usually very helpful over the phone, and a full appraisal costs only about US$50.00. It is well worth the effort.
+1 to everything FatalGear has said. It really is worth getting appraised, dating vintage Fenders can be tricky, and unless you know what to look for, its worth the fee to have a professional check it out. Collectors (the target market for a bass like this) will want to be 110% sure its authentic and original, which will require some serious photo documentation of specific parts of the bass.

If you can confirm the authenticity and document the necessary serial numbers and parts, then its worth a pretty penny, something like $3k to $4k+ depending on condition.

Quote by Alucard817
Grab the serial number from the headstock and go to the guitar dater project.

With Fenders this old, you have to remove the neck and check the numbers stamped on the neck and body, and usually the number on the pots too.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Tostitos
With Fenders this old, you have to remove the neck and check the numbers stamped on the neck and body, and usually the number on the pots too.

Holy crap really? Learn something new everyday.

That's why I love this site.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817

The older Fenders had it handwritten on the base of the neck:

The later ones have it stamped in ink:

Quote by Alucard817

There's a lot of things that go into dating vintage Fenders. There's the neck stamps that Fatal showed, early Precisions had serial numbers on the bridge plate until 1954 or 1955 when the serial moved to the neck plate. You can check inside the neck pocket to make sure the paint is original, if it has a rosewood fretboard you have to check if its a slab board ('58-'62), or a thinner curved-bottom board. Clay dots signify its from 1964 or earlier, and the date on the pots can also help determine the age. Even then though, there's lots of crossover between the years, especially during a tumultuous time like the CBS transition.

Serials on the headstock didn't come around and make everything easier until the mid-70's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i was a t a story not long ago where they had a 6o something fender precision.
it was super super nice i love how those old frets get worn down and it plays so smooth.
but they were selling it for like 5 grand... and it was fairly beat up.

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Pre-CBS, 3k-15k; post CBs, 1k-3k.
I've got an august 65 P-bass. I was in a group opening for a big name. As I was going off, their bass player was coming on and offered 10k on the spot. Good condition.
I'm not interested in selling. If you're in the right place at the right time and it is a pre-CBS in excellent condition it will fetch a very nice price.
This thread is almost 5 years old, please refrain from necroposting.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass