hey guys, so i'm starting to realize that a looper will really help me improve my playing and writing skills.

so the question is which one should i get? i only know of the boss and the digitech versions.

should i get the single or double pedal version?
should i get the boss or digitech?

i'd like to stay under $300 because i'm also purchasing a new guitar soon. i most likely will not be using it for gigs unless i need a 3rd guitar piece which is pretty unlikely. so it's really just for home use and capturing riff ideas and working on improvs, harmonies, etc...
i've got a macbook pro. and i don't really have the need for something like that. i'm not recording, i'm happy with my current tone. i need something for a practice/writing aid
i have the digitech and it is awesome and not to hard to use it does help alot and is fun as hell to play and learn with although i have never used the boss id still say digitech
Only have experience with the boss RC-2. Its a great pedal, it does exactly what its supposed to. Nothing more, nothing less.
WTLTL 2011
whats the ease of use like one these pedals? recording/dubbing/erasing.

i had a short (maybe 15 seconds) looper on my peavey vypyr that i had last year and the biggest issue i had with it was when it was looped there was a very noticeable "seam" when the loop started over and it made keeping in time with the loop very difficult
the akai headrush is a great looper and delay. you can get the e2 for a decent price. I'm selling one on ebay if you're interested.
Quote by andrerist

i had a short (maybe 15 seconds) looper on my peavey vypyr that i had last year and the biggest issue i had with it was when it was looped there was a very noticeable "seam" when the loop started over and it made keeping in time with the loop very difficult

RC-2 was very seamless, works like a charm. These are some of the most complicated pedals you'll ever use though. There's definitely a learning curve.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by andrerist

some loopers have capabilties to combat that. auto-quantizing it's sometimes called i think.

with others, like my stereo memory man, it's just a matter of pratice. with pedals like that you have to start and stop the loop at the exact right time so theres no "seam"
Quote by AlanD
the akai headrush is a great looper and delay. you can get the e2 for a decent price. I'm selling one on ebay if you're interested.

I use the Headrush.
I've found it to be very good, but I have nothing to compare it with.
I think it's a bit more pricey than the ones you mentioned though.
If you just want to use it for practice, the RC-2 is good enough. If you want to do one-man-band stuff with verse/chorus/verse, go with Digitech or the RC-3. They have a LED number indicator that shows you what loop you're on. You have to count flashes with the Boss RC-2 and 20.
Double pedal loopers give you more control so you don't have to touch the pedal with your hands.
You can plug an external two switch pedal into either the single or doubles for even more control - one for start/dub another for Stop/Undo and two dedicated for scrolling up and down saved banks.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 31, 2011,
When I was shopping for a looper, GC had the Boss RC-2 and RC-3 and both were $200.00. I also looked at the Digitechs. I chose the RC-3 for the greater features. As stated earlier though, there is a slight learning curve for sure. The RC-3 has 99 loops, the bright red display LED, and a USB connection. The Digitech had the advantage of using an SD card. Overall, I preferred the RC-3. As for the RC-30, it is basically identical to the RC-3 except it is double sized and is stereo. It cost $300.00 though, and since I didn't need the stereo feature, the size and cost isn't justifiable to me. The RC-3 can use a switch (Boss FS-5U or similar) and makes it near identical to the RC-30, except for stereo. If you don't mind spending a day reading the manual and learning, it's a great practice tool. Go for the RC-3.
The Jamman series is great if you want lots of storage (think backing tracks). I hear the RC-30 has a bad flaw that causes a pause when switchign between two pre-recorded loops.

If you really want a looper for practice then consider the Zoom G3 which has a synchronized drum machine. It's only a 40 sec looper and the G3 is a multifx, but it's a great tool for practice and super simple to use. It's the only looper I know of that has a visual progress indication so you always know where you are in the loop. And the multifx quality is very good.

The majority of the songs in my link are done with a looper. Most with the G3 and a couple with the ME-25 looper and the Jamman.
Digitech Jamman Solo and the extra footswitch is cheaper then a Boss RC-3 or the older RC-2 and can do just as much... I am in the market for a looper to and will be getting the Jamman. The Boss pedals are just too expensive for what they do there isn't much difference between the Boss and the Digitech and if anything from what I've researched the Jamman is a sinch to use which sounds like what you are after.