So i want to get a guitar to last me a lifetime. I want someone in the states to build it, as i have relatives there and its way cheaper than here in the UK.

Im looking for something resembling a PRS the one wiith the piezo and rosewood neck.

Criteria

Looking for a guitar to do it all for me clean crunch heavy gain and acoustic

Looking for something which resonates and sustains better than most guitars

Looking to cover all styles from jazz to death metal

Looking for something well balanced tonally not too dark or bright

Questions

Rosewood-Is Indian Rosewood a poor substitute? If it resonates great and the tone is good i would make the whole guitar out of it if i could. I havent been able to try it out locally

One piece mahogany necks and back..do these increase resonance and sustain?

Chambering? I do love semi acoustics for their tone and resonance but i play extreme heavy music as well as bossa nova so is chambering a good alternative?

Im looking to put a tele pickup in the neck for nice cleans and a humbucker in the bridge. Would the the tele in the neck sound okay in a prs style guitar (i dont use the neck pup for solos and for jazz i just use the bridge pup.

neck size..i have very small hands and feel most confortable with ibanez wizard necks..but i realise this detracts from tone. Is there any way round this e.g. wide narrow neck or a fender style v shape?

Im looking for as natural a finish as possible on the whole guitar..which oil or finish would be best for feel and tone, and are there any disadvantages to this?
One piece mahogany necks and back..only if the neck and body are made in a neck-thru style, but neck thru can be any two woods.

Chambering? Chambering would be good, also semi hollow with no f-holes would be good.

Yes a tele pup would be fine, it'd just sound "fatter" then a tele cause of the woods and construction

neck size.. a large heel like on a prs would help with the tone lost from small necks, but all in all IMO not much tone is lost from small necks, almost non is lost if you use neck thru.

EDIT: A jazz influenced Death metal guitarist, who plays a PRS Hollowbody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buULqZC2UXE

he gives a good advice about hollow bodies and feedback
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Aug 31, 2011,
Have you checked into Carvin Guitars? They can Build just about anything!!! For a $..
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Neck thru is more complicated to make so it's more pricey. And if you break the neck your SOL. Only disadvantages.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
From what I gather Indian is just another variety of rosewood, and is coming close to the only species left available on the market. It doesn't have the holy grail status of Madagascar Rosewood but it's still a good wood if found in high quality billets (like a luthier would)

One piece backs increase sustain in theory, but the difference in practice will be largely minimal I would say, not to mention a one piece back would be impossible with a thru neck. One piece necks are much more prone to warping and are generally not as strong or safe, so I would suggest against them.

You can play death metal with a semi hollow as the post mentioning Emil Werstler shows. It might take a bit more working around but it's certainly doable. It depends what you want more I guess, do you want a strong semi hollow clean tone with a slightly different distorted tone or a straight up clean and distorted tone?

I see no reason why a Tele pickup wouldn't sound good in another style of guitar. It might sound mellower and less chimey but it'll still retain some of the Tele tone.

Personally I'd rather have a guitar I'm comfortable with than one that sounds better. A good luthier will work around it. Look at KxK. Their necks are thinner than Ibby's but no one accuses them of poor tone.

For oil finishes maybe look into Music Man style oiling with gunstock oil. Danish Oil and Tung Oil are also popular. The main disadvantage with these is they offer less protection than something like nitrocellulose, so dings and scratches are more likely. Also a maker I follow called William Jeffrey Jones suggests topping up the finish on an oil finished guitar every few years with orange oil (if I remember correctly), so there is somewhat more maintenance involved if you want to keep it looking perfect
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
From what I gather Indian is just another variety of rosewood, and is coming close to the only species left available on the market. It doesn't have the holy grail status of Brazillian Rosewood but it's still a good wood if found in high quality billets (like a luthier would)

Fix'd
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Fix'd

That's the one
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I forget where I heard this, but one of the guitar companies out there said that all Brazilian and Indian rosewood share the same tonal qualities, but Brazilian rosewood just looks a hell of a lot better. Don't quote me on that though.
Where's Waldo?
Don't get brazilian. It's illegal in most cases, horribly expensive, and mostly just looks prettier. If there's a tonal difference, it's small. Most luthiers won't even have it as an option, so it's not really worth considering as an option.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
So i want to get a guitar to last me a lifetime. I want someone in the states to build it, as i have relatives there and its way cheaper than here in the UK.

How is it cheaper than having one made here (in the UK)? Even if it's sent over as a gift, you're still gonna get charged import VAT. Have you shopped around UK based luthiers... it may be cheaper than you might realise... PM me