EDIT: 2nd Hackintosh complete!! Check post #36.

So I just completed my first successful Hackintosh installation!!!

I've wanted to try for 3-4 years but never had any luck, but finally wide support for OSX on PC has come around. As a first run, I wanted to try it on an old custom build at home. I ordered a Gigabyte all-Intel board to switch with my MSI board because GA apparently has the best compatibility.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo 2.13
nVidia 8800GTS
GA-P45T-ES3G (Intel north and south bridges, very important)

So not exactly a high power build, but it'll be more than enough for my mom to use.

Using iBoot (which acts as a temporary safe-mode EFI), I was able to install a retail image of OSX 10.6.3 and update to 10.6.8. Then I used the MultiBeast package to edit the kexts & plists so that the kernel can be tricked into accepting non-Mac official hardware. It also installs Chimera, which is the permanent bootloader.

For the first 2 days after install, I was basically stuck and couldn't get OSX to boot by itself, it wasn't accepting the hardware + annoying kernel panics:

But then after digging around support forums some more, I found a solution and it finally got pass that excruciating suspenseful boot and fully loaded OSX! Most things were up and running with it immediately, including full CPU and GPU support, and peripherals (SATA drives, USB camera, printer, etc). Then I just did a little tweaking to tailor the entire set up (disable NTFS partitions mounting, set up HFS drives for Time Machine and dedicated User volume).

Customized the bootload screen too

Everything is working great, and I've set it up to act as the home server for the other Macs and PCs around the house, and it's cooperating with them pretty nicely.

Using Air Display, my MacBook can act as a wireless secondary display to the desktop and vice versa.

Here's a video of the boot

Now that I've got the experience, I'm gonna do a new i7 build soon. It's gonna be a dedicated music workstation for school/professional stuff. I wanna put at least 8GB of 1600MHz memory on it and hopefully add a SSD later on. My friend's giving me a GTX4xx card so I guess it would be rude not to put Windows + Steam on it

So anyone else got a Hackintosh or wants to build one? Discuss!!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 18, 2011,
Here's a few more shots:

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
This all so over my head that I find it hard to even know if it's cool or not.

But good job.
I've been wanting to try a hackintosh install, but I can't really be arsed to do it. Plus, I'm not so sure that you can do it on an AMD processor.
Nice, man! I'm a sucker for a hackintosh. Looks sexy.

I may build one myself one of these days for a studio rig or something, if I can't set up a nice linux recording/producing setup.

Oh yeah, and that kernel panic looks like it was caused by a driver. Pretty typical, did you blacklist the module on boot temporarily or something like that?
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Aug 31, 2011,
I don't see any use putting OSX on a PC(I've never been able to stand any operating system put out by Apple, again personal preference), but if that's what works for you then kudos. Plus building a computer for your mom is badass.

Quote by Xiaoxi
My friend's giving me a GTX4xx card so I guess it would be rude not to put Windows + Steam on it

Put steam on, and come play TF2 with the UG group. I'm finally getting good enough not to get laughed off of EVERY server I play on.
Last edited by wizards? at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by emerald876
I've been wanting to try a hackintosh install, but I can't really be arsed to do it. Plus, I'm not so sure that you can do it on an AMD processor.

I think a few people have gotten OSX to recognize AMD, but I don't know much about it. Wide support for ATI chips are coming though.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you're going to do an i7 build you might want to wait for the 22nm SB revision, at the very least it will drive the price of the 2600k down a bit. Not sure when it's due or how soon you want to build but it's worth mentioning.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nice, man! I'm a sucker for a hackintosh. Looks sexy.

I may build one myself one of these days for a studio rig or something, if I can't set up a nice linux recording/producing setup.

Oh yeah, and that kernel panic looks like it was caused by a driver. Pretty typical, did you blacklist the module on boot temporarily or something like that?

It would definitely be better to use OSX than Linux as a studio rig!

Well I had multiple problems where altered kexts weren't properly being installed and stuff, but basically it all involves going into System/Library/Extensions. I don't think I had any driver issues, it was more that OSX detected differences on the motherboard.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Bookmarked, I've been wanting to do this for some time now.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
That's fukken sweet dude. That case.... Antec Nine Hundred? I have the same. Excellent choice, cools like a motha.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Afroboy267
ClownGrinder, nice name!

Oh yeah, and nice one .

Why thank you, I also enjoy your afro, boy267
Quote by So-Cal
I've been wanting to so that I can run logic without spending a fortune on a mac. Is it difficult?

The most important thing to get right is the motherboard and GPU. Right now, Gigabyte boards have the best compatibility/support and most builders use it.

Here's a good guideline
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac

So if you get a checklist of all confirmed mobos and GPUs, you should be good to go. Most current Intel CPU's (i models, Core 2s, even Pentium 4) have been fine. Just follow the tonymacx86 iBoot + Multibeast guide. If something doesn't work out, it's bound to be a common problem that you can find a solution to in the forum.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by robertito696
If you're going to do an i7 build you might want to wait for the 22nm SB revision, at the very least it will drive the price of the 2600k down a bit. Not sure when it's due or how soon you want to build but it's worth mentioning.

It's either gonna be an i5 or i7. If I choose the i7 path, my friend gives me his LGA1366 board for free to use with it. If I get an i5, I have to buy an LGA1155. So it's gonna come down to mostly price. Both are more than enough to handle even a heavyload orchestral sequence. I'm more concerned with the storage drives and memory.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SteveHouse
That's fukken sweet dude. That case.... Antec Nine Hundred? I have the same. Excellent choice, cools like a motha.

Yea, it's a pretty nice case but I wanna get something else for my new build. The 900 still uses screws and it's a hassle to mount/unmount drives. I love the new slideout brackets and removable sideway mounts.

It's gonna be either the Coolermaster CM 690II advanced or the Thermaltake v9 Blacx.

Quote by Ignite
I did a Hackintosh a few months ago

I hated it.

How come?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's either gonna be an i5 or i7. If I choose the i7 path, my friend gives me his LGA1366 board for free to use with it. If I get an i5, I have to buy an LGA1155. So it's gonna come down to mostly price. Both are more than enough to handle even a heavyload orchestral sequence. I'm more concerned with the storage drives and memory.

Right now the price difference between i7 2600k and i5 2500k seems a bit hefty imo. But if it saves you having to replace the mobo, I'd go for the 7 if your buddy's board is still in good shape.

SHEdit: I never change drives so that's not an issue for me. Thermaltake seem like a pretty good brand though, my Spin-Q heatsink is hilariously awesome (way better than the i5-750's stock cooler was, what a hunk of scrap).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by ClownGrinder
Why thank you, I also enjoy your afro, boy267

My name is shit . It's one of those names you think is cool when you're young but its actually shit.
Quote by wizards?
I don't see any use putting OSX on a PC(I've never been able to stand any operating system put out by Apple, again personal preference), but if that's what works for you then kudos. Plus building a computer for your mom is badass.
Well I can use all 3 major platforms but OSX is definitely my favorite. Best workflow and tech utilities (network, disk, audio i/o, etc), which are the most important things for me. Windows 7's been really good too but still lacking in a lot of ways + same old flawed registry system. All my professional work is on OSX so I'm trying to streamline everything. Same with my mom. She's a complete noob so OSX's gonna be easier for her and I can use Apple Remote Desktop over IP to fix anything when I'm away from home again.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It would definitely be better to use OSX than Linux as a studio rig!

Well I had multiple problems where altered kexts weren't properly being installed and stuff, but basically it all involves going into System/Library/Extensions. I don't think I had any driver issues, it was more that OSX detected differences on the motherboard.

Well, technically aren't kexts drivers?

And the only thing stopping me from using osx first is the fact I like to be able to customize my system to the bones, which isn't possible with closed-source software.
Quote by SteveHouse
Right now the price difference between i7 2600k and i5 2500k seems a bit hefty imo. But if it saves you having to replace the mobo, I'd go for the 7 if your buddy's board is still in good shape.

SHEdit: I never change drives so that's not an issue for me. Thermaltake seem like a pretty good brand though, my Spin-Q heatsink is hilariously awesome (way better than the i5-750's stock cooler was, what a hunk of scrap).

Well, the funny thing is the i7 by itself or the i5 + LGA1155 come out to be almost identical prices. So it's still a tough call.

I'll probably have to swap out drives because I have a lot of sound + sample libraries which may need to be taken out on the go to be loaded elsewhere.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SlayingDragons
Well, technically aren't kexts drivers?

And the only thing stopping me from using osx first is the fact I like to be able to customize my system to the bones, which isn't possible with closed-source software.

I guess you can look at them that way. I'm not an expert on kexts by any means, so

And yea, Apple is not about customization and they don't pretend to be. I don't need that level of customization so it's all good. Plus I got Windows to mess around with if I'm curious. I used to have Ubuntu but it was pretty much useless

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, the funny thing is the i7 by itself or the i5 + LGA1155 come out to be almost identical prices. So it's still a tough call.

If it were me I'd base my decision entirely on the free mobo then. Does it have all the capabilities you'd need?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Xiaoxi

How come?

I just don't like how OSX is laid out. I played with it for hours and I'm just not satisfied with it's directories and everything. I mean it was cool to have at first but I got sick of how everything worked.

Quote by SlayingDragons

This too, but it's not the only reason for me not using it.

Also I'm not some "OMG PC > MAC LOLOL" guy. I don't mind OSX, I just GREATLY prefer Windows.
Last edited by Ignite at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by SteveHouse
If it were me I'd base my decision entirely on the free mobo then. Does it have all the capabilities you'd need?

Pretty much...

Whether I get that or a new 1155 it'll all be enough.

Quote by Ignite
I just don't like how OSX is laid out. I played with it for hours and I'm just not satisfied with it's directories and everything. I mean it was cool to have at first but I got sick of how everything worked.

The directory takes a bit of getting used to but it makes sense to me now. And the /system/library directory is way more organized than Windows' /system32.

It all depends on what you are used to.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well I can use all 3 major platforms but OSX is definitely my favorite. Best workflow and tech utilities (network, disk, audio i/o, etc), which are the most important things for me. Windows 7's been really good too but still lacking in a lot of ways + same old flawed registry system. All my professional work is on OSX so I'm trying to streamline everything. Same with my mom. She's a complete noob so OSX's gonna be easier for her and I can use Apple Remote Desktop over IP to fix anything when I'm away from home again.

I'm not saying you using OSX is bad, it's certainly got its uses(especially using it for recording and orchestrating things), it's just not my cup of tea seeing as I only use my computer for a bit of gaming, internet browsing, paper writing and recording demos. It really is a killer build though and I'd be proud of it.

Seriously though, install Steam and start playing TF2 with us
Quote by wizards?
I'm not saying you using OSX is bad, it's certainly got its uses(especially using it for recording and orchestrating things), it's just not my cup of tea seeing as I only use my computer for a bit of gaming, internet browsing, paper writing and recording demos. It really is a killer build though and I'd be proud of it.

Seriously though, install Steam and start playing TF2 with us

Haha...I'm more of a CS guy

But even then, I haven't played games in a long time. I think I'm losing interest

But whatever, how do I join?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Lol @ windows 7
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Haha...I'm more of a CS guy

But even then, I haven't played games in a long time. I think I'm losing interest

But whatever, how do I join?

Just download Steam, create an account, download TF2(it's free now), and play. There's a UG thread and group floating around here somewhere, and there's one on Steam with all the members on it and you can friend them from there.

I don't game much anymore either, but I think I'm sufficiently addicted again.
Why you ruin your Mac by making it run windows 7??

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
i was actually planning to do this in the next week or two, so i'm glad to come across this. just have to actually order a copy of os x and a second hard drive.

at first it seemed like it was really complicated, but the more i've looked into it, the more it seems like things just fall into place once you have the right pieces.
Quote by WCPhils
Why you ruin your Mac by making it run windows 7??

Are you high? Windows 7 is damn good for what it is.

Quote by uhh_me?
things just fall into place once you have the right pieces.

Yea that's a good way to describe it. Just check that you've got the right hardware and it should be smooth sailing in a couple of steps.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Just finished my second build!!! This time it's for me at school for music production, so no messin' around.

i7 950 3.06GHz Quad Core
2x4GB 1600 DDR3
GTX 275 1GB GDDR3 (friend donation)
Intel DX58SO board (friend donation)
Coolermaster CM690II Advanced case

Total cost (including other parts not mentioned): ~$550

I'm beginning to find that with every build, it's a new challenge. This time, I ran into a whole 'nother set of problem which again ended up taking a couple of days to resolve. It turned out the Seagate HDD's that I ordered were not compatible with OSX for whatever reason. It wouldn't even boot the EFI, so I couldn't even begin to get into the actual OS to tinker around. Fortunately, my friend traded me one of his WD HDD for the Seagate, and it finally worked. As a reward for that gnawing error, I didn't run into ANY kernel problems once it loaded up!

I'm so psyched to start working on music on this computer. This semester, I have an orchestral mock-up class where we're gonna be doing 40+ track sampler/synth/DSP sequencing in Digital Performer, Pro Tools 9, and Logic Pro. Now I can easily sequence anything they throw at me in real time, no need to print stems one by one to save resources!!! All while running other crap too. Used Migration Assistant to restore everything from my MacBook to this computer, so I can get right to work. I also set up Time Machine over LAN so that the MacBook can back up to the external drive without attachment.

A couple of my friends at school is noticing how cost effective this is, so they've ordered parts too. I'm gonna be building a couple more in the next few weeks.

My first PC build, I didn't really pay attention to cable management, and it's a complete mess inside the case. This time, I made sure all cables were efficiently routed through the back of the mobo. It's pretty damn slick.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 18, 2011,