Hey guys...just a quick question
in the song good ridddance by greenday for the starting riffs, before he gets to playing chords..ive noticed he uses upstrokes when playing..now i play the song all with downstrokes....shud i put in the time and effort to learn the upstrokes...because at the moment im hopeless in that department..thanks.
Quote by deputydoodoo
Hey guys...just a quick question
in the song good ridddance by greenday for the starting riffs, before he gets to playing chords..ive noticed he uses upstrokes when playing..now i play the song all with downstrokes....shud i put in the time and effort to learn the upstrokes...because at the moment im hopeless in that department..thanks.

Well yeah man. Work on what you have difficulties doing. That's how you get better

A few tips for up strokes:

Some people like to angle their picks because you know it catches the strings right? Well the best way that works for me is i just loosen up on the pick enough to get it to go smoothly across the strings, but not enough to lose control of it.

You can also just learn to angle it up and down, depending if its an up or down stroke.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Halt at Aug 31, 2011,
Quote by Halt
Well yeah man. Work on what you have difficulties doing. That's how you get better

Exactly what he said. The strumming pattern in that song is kinda weird at first but start off slow and work up to speed and you'll have it in know time.
if you ever want to play fast things easily or period for that matter you need to learn how to do upstrokes

just practice going 1234 on all the strings with only up strokes from the low E to the high e until they feel natural
I haz gotten gud
don't think of an upstroke as such a different thing, because it isn't (unless you're doing your downstrokes with an extreme angle, which i would correct).
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!