Page 1 of 2
so i want to look for a 7 string, it will be my first 7 string so i don't know if i want to put too much money into it. ive found the low end schecter ones (omen7/omen extreme7) and the low end LTD SC-207. they look the same in terms of specs... but i dont know about the quality of parts/pickups/overall build quality as i have no access to or previous playing knowledge of these guitars! so, which? or possibly another recommendation?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
I would say low end ESP/LTD is worse then low end Schecter. However, they are both pretty bad. From what I can find, I would say the best 7 for under $600 is the Ibanez RG7321.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
The LTD or the Omen Extreme. They both look pretty good. I'm partial to Schecter though.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I don't have much experience with LTD, but Schecter makes extremely nice guitars.
It doesn't really matter. They're both owned by the same person, and are made to the same standard. Just get whichever is most comfortable to you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If possible, look for a used Ibanez RG7620, RG7621, RG7420, or RG7421, they will be way better than a cheap Schecter or LTD.

Also, look for a used Washburn WG580 made in Korea, they can be had ridiculously cheap and are great with a pickup upgrade.
Quote by stonyman65
I would say low end ESP/LTD is worse then low end Schecter. However, they are both pretty bad. From what I can find, I would say the best 7 for under $600 is the Ibanez RG7321.

Low end Schecters are NOT bad.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
ah, i forgot to add, it has to be lefty haha. oooops my bad
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
I think its pretty much up to you trying them and seeing for yourself, i own both a shecter and an LTD that costed the exact same, (well the ltd was $479 and the schecter was $499 but yeah) and they are pretty much the same guitar, the schecter is heavier because its mahagony while the LTD is alder. the neck on the schecter is more of C shape and the LTD is thinner, but those are 6 stringers so i dont know how much different the 7 string versions would be

I've played a 7 string schecter tho, it kicked the Ibanez RG7421 or whatever it is A$$, i hated the Ibanez, it was uber muddy, the neck was too thin, and it didnt feel well either, the schecter was pretty crisp and had a good full neck, at least in my experience
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
are these the same Omen series ones? or omen extreme or whatever?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
I own an Omen 7 and I love it, with a pickup upgrade it is much better. I found mine 2nd hand for cheap and fell in love with it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
i vote schecter omen extreme because it has mahogany vs. basswood and a 26.5 scale length vs. a 25.5 for the sc 207. not to mention the aesthetics are better, at least imo.
i own a schecter 7 string and its a pretty solid guitar. the neck feels pretty comfortable and natural, easy to forget its not just a 6 string after using it a while.
if you plan on upgrading it later on with new pickups i would recommend just waiting until you can afford a better guitar with set neck construction and everything, feels so much better in your hands.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by W4RP1G
If possible, look for a used Ibanez RG7620, RG7621, RG7420, or RG7421, they will be way better than a cheap Schecter or LTD.

Also, look for a used Washburn WG580 made in Korea, they can be had ridiculously cheap and are great with a pickup upgrade.

Quote by Offworld92
It doesn't really matter. They're both owned by the same person, and are made to the same standard. Just get whichever is most comfortable to you.

Those are the only right 2 answers in this topic so far. The rest is fanboy bullcrap.

They both are not very nice guitars, but they are cheap.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by LP_CL
Those are the only right 2 answers in this topic so far. The rest in fanboy bullcrap.

"Hey get an Ibanez. People who like Ibanez guitars aren't fanboys, but everyone else is."

There's a hole in your logic somewhere.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
"Hey get an Ibanez. People who like Ibanez guitars aren't fanboys, but everyone else is."

There's a hole in your logic somewhere.

Have a look at my guitars: I don't own an Ibanez. In fact, I HATE Ibanez. So there you are wrong. I quoted that person for the last sentence about Washburn.

Apart from that, I still think, sorry, I still KNOW the Ibanez 7 strings WARPIG listed are higher quality than the Schecter and LTD.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
See if you can find a used Washburn WG587 or if you like Floyds the WG587V. I had one for a brief while and it played much better than either the Omen 7 or any of the low end ESP's I tried, and it was cheaper. Low action really thin neck, the floyd was licensed but I just blocked it from going up and I had no problems with it at all.
Quote by LP_CL
Those are the only right 2 answers in this topic so far. The rest in fanboy bullcrap.

I was unaware having an opinion that differed from your own = fanboy bullcrap. Oh I forgot, it's the internet. Where if you don't agree with someone, they're obviously stupid or blind "fanboys"
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Okay, this is just my opinion, so please keep it in mind before you get massively anally anguished...

In the UK: Never buy a schecter unless you want to pay an extra 1/4-1/3 of the actual price of the guitar, or if it is 2nd hand.

in the US: schecter low ends are good guitars which are well made and usually worth the money. ESP low ends differ between fantastic and utter bullshite and are something of a gamble.

in terms of second hand, a high end ESP will blow a high end Schecter out of the water any day of the week.

I recommend you get a second hand ESP.

EDIT: also, some of you guys in here seriously need to learn some manners, and stop making crass assumptions.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Banjocal

in terms of second hand, a high end ESP will blow a high end Schecter out of the water any day of the week.

I agree to an extent. I'm a huge Schecter fan, but they really don't offer high-end guitars comparable to the ESP Standard models (non LTD). High end LTD is High end Schecter. ESP Standard would be comparable to Schecter's custom shop US-made lineup, and that's always going to be a very difficult and subjective comparison to make.

Schecter's top of the line models are essentially good mid-tier guitars. They are only $799-$999 for a reason. Same thing with LTD.

I was strongly considering an ESP Horizon 7 like the one Devin Townsend has been playing as of late. I'm sure it would blow my C7H out of the water in playability, but as most people have found out, paying an extra $1200 to get to that "next level" of playability is TOTALLY subjective and up to the player.

Here's the ultimate answer: Try out an ESP, an Ibanez, and a Schecter 7 string in the $300 range, $500 range, and $700 range. It'll take about an hour and most guitar centers have close to all 9 in stock from what I've seen. Then make your decision. If you can't find all 9 (7) strings, compare similar 6-string models for quality purposes.
Quote by Banjocal
Okay, this is just my opinion, so please keep it in mind before you get massively anally anguished...

In the UK: Never buy a schecter unless you want to pay an extra 1/4-1/3 of the actual price of the guitar, or if it is 2nd hand.

in the US: schecter low ends are good guitars which are well made and usually worth the money. ESP low ends differ between fantastic and utter bullshite and are something of a gamble.

I recommend you get a second hand ESP.

^This.
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess
I was unaware having an opinion that differed from your own = fanboy bullcrap. Oh I forgot, it's the internet. Where if you don't agree with someone, they're obviously stupid or blind "fanboys"

sig: "Gear:
Shecter Omen 6"

I rest my case.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
sig: "Gear:
Shecter Omen 6"

I rest my case.

I fail to see how me owning the guitar automatically makes me a fanboy. But again, this is the internet and any little useless info or spelling mistake makes the point your trying to make invalid. AND, it is my opinion they are not bad guitars, but to you that makes me a fanboy right? So silly
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by DamagingExcess
I fail to see how me owning the guitar automatically makes me a fanboy. But again, this is the internet and any little useless info or spelling mistake makes the point your trying to make invalid. AND, it is my opinion they are not bad guitars, but to you that makes me a fanboy right? So silly

So explain to me why you can't see that until the point I made my first post in here, WARPIGS post and Offworld92's post were the only 2 posts that held actual truth in them? Up until then, I only saw people saying "Schecter" or "ESP", because they owned one. I've seen too many terrible cheap schecters to believe that cheap schecters are good guitars. So yes, in my eyes, that makes you a fanboy. Owning one, and not wanting to see that they actually suck ass.

So silly
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
So explain to me why you can't see that until the point I made my first post in here, WARPIGS post and Offworld92's post were the only 2 posts that held actual truth in them? Up until then, I only saw people saying "Schecter" or "ESP", because they owned one. I've seen too many terrible cheap schecters to believe that cheap schecters are good guitars. So yes, in my eyes, that makes you a fanboy. Owning one, and not wanting to see that they actually suck ass.

So silly

You're opinion is they suck ass. Don't try to act like it's a fact because you thinking they suck ass is NOTHING more then opinion. Mine, other then the fret leveling leaving a lot to be desired, isn't bad. But maybe that's because I love the sound I get out of it more then most guitars I've played. Maybe I lucked out. But I've had good luck with Schecter and can only go off my personal experience with them. It's my opinion that they are good. If that makes me a fanboy then yeah I guess I am. And before you say "You must never have played a good guitar then lolololol" I've played everything from PRS, to Prestige Ibanez's, to EBMM.

And how is it so hard to believe I think it's good? I'm not in some state of denial. Like I'm lying to myself or something. I genuinely like it
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Sep 4, 2011,
DamagingExcess is at least being respectful. LP_CL: learn some manners. I have played Schecters and they are nice (imo), and I don't even own one - does that make me a fanboy? Learn the difference between opinion and fact, and be polite/respectful of opinions or I will report you. UG is full of opinions, and no one opinion is superior to the other as it is all based off subjective exerience. At least respect that he has a different opinion.

However DamagingExcess, you shouldn't have even bothered replying to him.

Mods, please close this thread.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Banjocal
DamagingExcess is at least being respectful. LP_CL: learn some manners. I have played Schecters and they are nice (imo), and I don't even own one. Learn the difference between opinion and fact, and be polite or I will report you.

However DamagingExcess, you shouldn't have even bothered replying to him.

Mods, please close this thread.

Yeah I know. I feed the trolls far too much
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
In the price range you are looking nothing will be great, but you may very well find a 7 that YOU like. LTD's typicaly have a thinner neck than Schecter, but that doesn't make them better or worse, just diffrent. I am not a fanboy of ether, but both companys make guitars I like and dislike.

My fanboy suggestion would be get a PRS CU24 7 string, but I doubt you wanna dump $3500+ on one!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DamagingExcess
You're opinion is they suck ass. Don't try to act like it's a fact because you thinking they suck ass is NOTHING more then opinion. Mine, other then the fret leveling leaving a lot to be desired, isn't bad. But maybe that's because I love the sound I get out of it more then most guitars I've played. Maybe I lucked out. But I've had good luck with Schecter and can only go off my personal experience with them. It's my opinion that they are good. If that makes me a fanboy then yeah I guess I am. And before you say "You must never have played a good guitar then lolololol" I've played everything from PRS, to Prestige Ibanez's, to EBMM.

And how is it so hard to believe I think it's good? I'm not in some state of denial. Like I'm lying to myself or something. I genuinely like it

Is that the sound you love coming from your schecter plugged in to that frontman 25R? Because that's not a very good way to compare sounds of guitars imo
And as always, you probably have that one good schecter. Based on that experience, you RECOMMEND it to others?
This is a "high" end schecter (diamond series) and look what you find there when you sand it down. You can imagine what kind of plywood you will find if you sand down a cheap one.

And it's my opinion that they're bad

And you liked your schecter better? Sorry, that's harsh of me. Those guitars are way more expensive than the schecter we're toalking about, so it's logically they are better. But that doesn't change the fact that inside the price category of the schecter and ltd, you have way better choices: Washburn and agile are an example. If YOU refuse to see that because you're butthurt over me pissing over your schecter, then yes, you are a fanboy.

So befor you call me a troll and a liar, try to back it up. I probably played more guitars in my life than you ever seen. I KNOW my stuff.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Banjocal
Learn the difference between opinion and fact, and be polite/respectful of opinions or I will report you.

Go ahead, report me. Go ahead and waste the mods' time.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Go ahead, report me. Go ahead and waste the mods' time.

Seriously, grow the **** up dude
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
I would definitely go check out some of the ibanez recommendations and especially the washburn. But the chances of you finding a lefty 7 in the used market is pretty slim. If your a lefty thats one good reason to choose schecter. They make a lot more lefty models than most other brands.
Quote by DamagingExcess
Seriously, grow the **** up dude

Can you tell me exactly what I did wrong or where I broke a rule?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Can you tell me exactly what I did wrong or where I broke a rule?

for a guy that is a teacher you seem to be a little lacking in people skills. now why exactly does a guy with a bunch of high end gear care whether the other guy likes a lower end guitar? it's his guitar and appearently its the right one for him. put the snob shit on hold. if you don't like certain guitars fine but you don't hae to be a dick about it. i'm not a fan of Jackson guitars so should i say your's is crap? if it's good for you then fine but for me it's just doesn't cut it. different players like different guitars so what.
Quote by monwobobbo
for a guy that is a teacher you seem to be a little lacking in people skills. now why exactly does a guy with a bunch of high end gear care whether the other guy likes a lower end guitar? it's his guitar and appearently its the right one for him. put the snob shit on hold. if you don't like certain guitars fine but you don't hae to be a dick about it. i'm not a fan of Jackson guitars so should i say your's is crap? if it's good for you then fine but for me it's just doesn't cut it. different players like different guitars so what.

You clearly don't get my point.
My point is that IN THAT PRICE RANGE (=> no snobism there), there are better things to buy than that Schecter and LTD, which I think have terrible quality issues, certainly on their lower end guitars.
HINT: Agile, Washburn.

Why is everybody focussing on me saying Schecter is bad instead of listening to the message? As a teacher, I can tell you, that is the most common mistake pupils make: Not listening to what is being said, and staring blind on details.

*edit*
UG is well known for the many topics asking for advice, ending up in the TS doing just the opposite of what was suggested by knowledgeable people. I should've known better, my bad.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 5, 2011,
Your all morons.

Low end LTD or Schecter are all as bad as each other. They bloody suck.

TS go buy a 2nd hand Ibanez 7421 or look out for the Washburn LC_PL suggested, everything he has said is bang on and right.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by DamagingExcess

because you failed to actually weigh any pro's or cons when it came to the shecter and the esp. others made the distinction that they are owned by the same people, so its basically one and the same. they are correct, you weren't.

it mostly comes down to feel, you subjected your feelings towards an instrument as actual quality.

that makes you a fanboy.
Thx guys, felt like preaching to walls here.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by DamagingExcess

shecter is indeed known for using absolutely horrible wood. wood with knots all up and down the grain, and even with cracks that they filled. its a company just like dean and bc rich. they focus on the looks to sell the guitars.

there are more pictures than just that one that lp_cl posted. they use many guitars made out of laminated bodies (5 or 6 layers all laminated together to make a body) and its horrible. its understood that on a 200$ guitar you would have pressboard and laminated wood, but when its found on 450$ guitars its sad.

please, don't get butthurt just because someone says a critical fact.

low end shecters, and low end ltd's suck. high end shecters and high end ltd's are indeed better. thats just the way it is.

so yes, telling someone to look towards ibanez or washburn, or agile, is indeed correct. they are BUILT better. just because it doesn't get "teh br00telhz" doesn't mean its a worse guitar kid.
Page 1 of 2