I have a roland cube 40XL, a friend of mine is offering to sell me an MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal for about $40. The rectifier setting on my amp is good but could use more distortion, gain, overdrive or whatever its properly called. Anyway, questions are... Is it worth boosting a solid state amp like mine? Or is that only reserved for tube amps?
Quote by Respect_KeyOfG
I have a roland cube 40XL, a friend of mine is offering to sell me an MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal for about $40. The rectifier setting on my amp is good but could use more distortion, gain, overdrive or whatever its properly called. Anyway, questions are... Is it worth boosting a solid state amp like mine? Or is that only reserved for tube amps?

you can't really boost a solid state. at least not like you would with a tube amp. with a tube amp you are boosting the signal going into V1, on a solid state i am not positive (read this as: wait until somebody more familiar with SS amp comes along), but it doesn't work.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It won't really work on a modeling amp. Modeling amps are really best left alone, just guitar straight into the amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ive had success boosting a solid state amp, but it was just for fun because i had my friend's amp and my tubescreamer laying around. i dont know if it's a good choice to go out and buy one. if the amp model doesnt have enough gain, maybe you're using too much gain...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Boost the transistors. Heard they sound better warmer more so than cold.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
I can't see how you could want more gain out of a rectifier model. But boosting a tranny amp will lead it into break up, but this break up is very harsh and doesn't soft clip like a tube amp.

My evo in the bridge of my S470 played hard puts my Vox VT100 into clipping. With the 6505 model it sounds very good, but on the clean channel it sounds very choppy and horrid.

It does work, but it doesn't distort nicely. But with your recto model, you might not notice. But you may be better off getting a dedicated distortion pedal that you liek the sound of and using your clean channel.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I've boosted a solid state amp with an Art mic preamp

it actually didn't sound bad. It was a Peavey Rage 158, and it boosted it just enough to add some more gain. If I boosted it too much, there was some nasty artifacts, or it could have just been the actual tube breaking up in the preamp. I'm not sure.
Quote by Ignite
I've boosted a solid state amp with an Art mic preamp

it actually didn't sound bad. It was a Peavey Rage 158, and it boosted it just enough to add some more gain. If I boosted it too much, there was some nasty artifacts, or it could have just been the actual tube breaking up in the preamp. I'm not sure.

Peavey Rage 158. Best shitty little solidstate amp there is.
solid state amps can be boosted although you have to be careful not to clip the input stage otherwise it'll sound shit - some amps clip a lot more easily than others so it really depends entirely on the amp.

i much prefer to run a compressor into a solid state than to boost the signal - you need less boost that way because the overall signal will be more even.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 1, 2011,
If the r-fier model doesn't have enough gain for you - either the amp is defective or your ears are.
@julzius & 667: boosting an amp is not the same thing as just adding/turning up the gain.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
This is probably the biggest myth on UG.

In the case of your Cube Xl 40, no, you can't, as that's a digital-modeler and not a true analog solid state amp.

But with a true analog SS, such as the Randall RG100es, YES you can indeed clean-boost it. But not with a TS or any other overdrive pedal. Instead with a Boss MT-2. Set the gain at 0 on the pedal, set the level at midway, and leave the EQ balanced. This will make the dry, lifeless tone of the RG100es thick, warm, and juicy.

Don't believe me? Just listen to Crowbar's more recent stuff. That's exactly what they do to get their sound.