So recently I picked up some Zack Wylde boomers (10-60) and re-stringed my guitar. I looked up some reviews on the strings to make sure I bought some good ones when someone posted that your guitar can get ruined by making a jump in string gauges. I used 10-52 strings before so now I'm wondering if my guitar can get screwed up over time. Also, I use a Godin Freeway if that makes any difference.
Last edited by TimePirate at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by TimePirate
So recently I picked up some Zack Wylde boomers (10-60) and re-stringed my guitar. I looked up some reviews on the strings to make sure I bought some good ones when someone posted that your guitar can get ruined by making a jump in string gauges. I used 10-52 strings before so now I'm wondering if my guitar can get screwed up over time. Also, I use a Godin Freeway if that makes any difference.

What site did you read the review? Just out of curiosity.

The nut might need to be filed just a tad for the low E, but you should be fine. Maybe a truss rod adjustment.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
i once got the same strings, and loved them, and i didn't have to do anything with the truss rod, but i did need to file the low E and A nut slots. but still, you may need to tweak the truss a little bit, or you might not have to. depends on the guitar really.
But how do I know if I need a truss rod adjustment? Should I ask a proffesional to take a look at my guitar?
you are find. may need a little bit of tweaking, but i use D'addario 11's or 12's tuned to E standard. it wont cause anything dramatic like you neck all of a sudden snapping off and hitting you in the face, but you may need a truss rod adjustment and it may not.

i had a guitar that i got from a guy he strung with 8's (1980 Gibson), and i wanted to put on 11's, so in order not to put too much immediate pressure on the neck, i restrung and tuned to C std, for a few days, than D std, now i am in E and it is in tune, playing and working great after a bridge, tailpiece, and truss rod tweaking. much happier with the 11's. 8's feel like you are playing with noodles.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by TimePirate
But how do I know if I need a truss rod adjustment? Should I ask a proffesional to take a look at my guitar?

That would be the easiest option.

But, first check and see if every string sits snug in the nut.

Then tune up, stretch the strings, tune up, stretch, etc etc.

Check for string buzz, make adjustments etc.

Then check intonation. Simply pluck the 12th fret harmonics, see if they are equal to that of the fretted notes on the 12th fret, make sure to use a tuner.

If they are all equal then you won't need to adjust intonation.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by TimePirate

If there's too much relief (or too little). If there's too little you may be noticing buzz on some frets, and if there's too much you might feel that your action has been skewed.

Honestly I doubt you will need to make a truss rod adjustment with the gauge change you state, but it might be an idea to tune your guitar up to Eb for a few days, then move up.

Here's some help http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/truss-rod.php