Hey UG so I don't know whether this goes in the Electric Guitar or the GB&C thread, but on a fender strat, the set screws (black screws protruding in this pic: http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdna-cdn.com/usercontent/gear/2202493/p2_u4xpblvku_so.jpg) is there a recommended setting for their height? i have them recessed so when i place my hand on the bridge i don't get scuff marks and it feels comfortable. Im wondering if this is a bad thing to do or does it not really matter? Thanks
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
There is no recommended height. Whatever feels, and sounds the best for you. My Ibanez has a Strat-style bridge, and it looks similar to that with low action. Eventually you will get used to it, if you place your hand that low. but if there are sharp edges that weren't cut right, or whatever, make sure to dull them, because they will cut your hand up.
i just screwed the screws down so they are pretty much flush with the other metal around it (idk what the term is for it; saddle maybe?) but if there is no set measurment then how i have it set up is good for me
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
They raise and lower the saddle heights. You'll notice that tightening them doesn't actually tighten anything, it raises the saddle. Traditionally you adjust the saddles to follow the fretboard contour, so a bit higher in the middle and then lower on the outer strings. This is part of setting up a strat properly. You'll notice it plays nicer when you have such things adjusted properly.
You usually want the action as low as it can go without getting excessive fret buzz, or fretting out on bends. Fretting out on a bend is when you bend a note and it dies instead of ringing out. This is caused by either low action or high frets.