I was just reading in another thread here that recording an EP costs like $4500 USD with the costs of mixing and mastering and everything factored in. I thought this seemed about right, but then I started thinking. My local recording studio offers pro quality recordings (see: http://www.facebook.com/headofwax?sk=app_178091127385) for $200 flat per song. I don't understand what causes the difference in cost, since by going that route it seems like it would only cost like $1200 to do an EP rather than $4500. Is there some sort of difference in quality? Are those songs (recorded at the aforementioned studio) not of radio/EP quality? They sound great to me.

I'm sure there must be something that causes it to be so much more expensive that way, but I'm dumb and can't figure it out.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Last edited by kraftmacaroni at Sep 1, 2011,
4500 for an EP is over priced in this day and age. if you record all the songs at once with your local studio you won't have any discrepancy as long as its all recorded and mixed the same.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
For $4500 you can buy your own pretty damn good recording setup and make it yourself.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
For $4500 you can buy your own pretty damn good recording setup and make it yourself.

I totally second this. Get some learnin' going and mix and master yourself. Good stuff.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by GibsonMan321

The only thing I'd say here is ... look, yes, you can buy the gear.

But good gear does not make a good recording engineer any more than a good guitar makes a good player.

I have no idea what explains the price discrepancy. And investing in recording gear may be a wiser choice. But make sure that you also invest in learning how to use the recording gear properly.

There are a lot of really lousy demos out there because somebody had enough money to buy some great gear but not enough common sense to learn how to use it properly. Don't be that guy.
The $4,500 comes from many different factors, more importantly time, access to experienced engineers and the quality of the gear you record with.

Let's face the facts, $4,500 isn't going to buy you much in terms of high quality gear.

I'll give you examples:

A condensor mic for vocals will cost $400 - $1000.

An instrument mic for the guitar amp will cost around $150.

A set of drum mics will cost you $400-$500.

Associated leads will set you back around $100.

We're already in the $1,000-$2,000 range, and we haven't even purchased recording gear yet.

To record and mix my EP, it took around 30 hours for 5 songs, and we paid $75 an hour. $2250. You can hear the results on my page (the Them As Well) songs. The gear used in recording those cost far more than the quotes given above, and a recording engineer was present for the entire thing. If you can create recordings that sound that good merely by purchasing entry level items, by all means go for it. It'll be just as impressive if you can do it within 30 hours.

But this is spare change compared to the stuff you hear on the radio, and if you want radio-ready recordings, you're going to have to fork out the cash. I'd say $50,000 would be a good budget if you wanted to set up a studio to rival standard local recording studios.

Anyways, where does the discrepancy come from?

- Quality of gear
- Access to people who know how to use it
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud