Well it's about that time again, head needs some new tubes! I wanna do something different this time. Any of you proud 5150 owners have your own set-up that you brag about to your friends? Let's hear it.
Quote by sdf5150
Well it's about that time again, head needs some new tubes! I wanna do something different this time. Any of you proud 5150 owners have your own set-up that you brag about to your friends? Let's hear it.

I sold mine before I even pulled out the stock t00bz
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I'm goin on 5yrs with same tubes! IMO it still sounds pretty good, but I really think it's time to change out.
My 5150 is bias modded and has a full set of JJs in the pre and power amp, sounds pretty epic. SED =C= or JJ 6L6s are the way to go in those amps, JJ if you like a darker, more round tone, SED if you like a bit more top end and a tighter lowend.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
What he ^ said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MatrixClaw
My 5150 is bias modded and has a full set of JJs in the pre and power amp, sounds pretty epic. SED =C= or JJ 6L6s are the way to go in those amps, JJ if you like a darker, more round tone, SED if you like a bit more top end and a tighter lowend.

Any of the SED =C= tubes will sound pretty badass, or is their a certain tube you are referring to?
Quote by sdf5150
Any of the SED =C= tubes will sound pretty badass, or is their a certain tube you are referring to?

The 6L6 is the only one that can go in the 5150?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can run whatever preamp tubes you like. Mesa tubes are just Sovteks iirc, not exactly the best tube out there - by a long shot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hey Cathbard, how do you like that Marshall 1960A? Thinkin about gettin one.
The 1960A is a solid all round workhorse. Not the best cab for metal (for that you want a 1960AV or 1960BV) but for everything else they work a treat. That's why they are the most common guitar cab on the planet. Not as good as a Mesa or an Orange but they are cheaper and are, as I said, a solid workhorse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by sdf5150
Could I pair those up with some Mesa 12AX7 pre amps?

Sure, but they're just cheap rebranded tubes that are marked up because they say Mesa on them.

If you're looking for cheap, go for Shuguangs.

Quote by sdf5150
Hey Cathbard, how do you like that Marshall 1960A? Thinkin about gettin one.

I have one, too, though mine has Splawn Small Blocks in it, but I've had a stock one before. Cath is right, especially with the 5150, you want the version with V30s in it, or don't get one at all, G12T-75s don't sound very good with 5150s IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm going to try JJ's when mine needs a retube. I've only heard good things about them especially for the price. Also 1960A's are great cabs
My preamp tube recommendation is a JAN Phillips in V1 and JJ everywhere else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sure, but they're just cheap rebranded tubes that are marked up because they say Mesa on them.

If you're looking for cheap, go for Shuguangs.

I have one, too, though mine has Splawn Small Blocks in it, but I've had a stock one before. Cath is right, especially with the 5150, you want the version with V30s in it, or don't get one at all, G12T-75s don't sound very good with 5150s IMO.

V30's I've heard are pretty nice!