hey guys,

i went to adjust my truss rod the other day but to my surprise it was a different style to the usual allen key kind. It's actually like a rod with a nut fused to the top. I have a PRS SE and I never got any tools with it. I got it for a present and the person who bought it for me must not have realised there were tools in the box.

Anyway I tried wrenches and tried sockets but i couldnt find anything that fit the nut, anyone got any ideas on what i can use/buy?
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
If you don't have the proper tool, take it to your local guitar shop. If you try doing it with the wrong tool, you could do more harm than good.

So long as your local shop stocks PRS guitars, they'll have the appropriate tool to do the job and may even have one you can purchase for future use.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i used to have a 335 guitar that had this very problem, i was never able to actually sort it.

the best thing you can do is to take it to a luthier and ask them if they can sort it out or have an attachment

however if you fancied spending a fair bit of money

check here http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Wrenches,_hex_keys/Truss_Rod_Wrench_Set.html
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I have the same setup on a Yamaha bass. I made my own tool by cutting down a tube spanner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I just had the same problem with a Jackson bass. I took it to my local shop and they didn't have the right tool so he used a box end wrench. Which I never even thought of ,felt kinda stupid for not thinking of it first.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Thanks guys, might try the tube spanner. will just have to find the correct size first and i should be right. cheers.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2215949-42-for-a-truss-rod-adjuster-!&highlight=prs%20wrench

he's saying it's the same socket truss rod wrench they sell at stew mac, the gibson sized
5/16" . might not be a perfect fit for prs tho, looking at the reviews.
but this is the size.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Wrenches,_hex_keys/Pocket_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

i just bout a socket from stewmac this year for my taylor, worked out great.

his only concern, is that he said, "make sure it's got an angle on it and thin walls so that you can get a good grip on it. I know, tough to verify over the 'net."

just wanted you to be made aware.

i really doubt i'd spend $42 for an official prs wrench.

also on a side note, and i dont know if i trust them at all, but there are unofficial prs
wrenches on ebay as well for under $10.

good luck.
edit: copy and paste link above it works but wont show as link for some reason.
it's a guy showing his prs wrench...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 1, 2011,
got one from stewmac for like $10 + around $10 postage wont get it for about 6 weeks lol yay for fretbuzz.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Depending on how far the end of the truss rod sticks out from the cavity you may even get away with an ordinary ring spanner. That's what I use on both my jacksons. Also, make sure you get the right size, 5/16ths seems to be common on guitars from the US, but instruments made in asia (or anywhere else really) will use a metric size, 7mm on most of the ones I've seen
Well its prs so it will be imperial and i looked up and everywhere i can see it says 5/16ths. Tried ring spanner and had no luck
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.