Page 1 of 2
As it turns out, none of the guitars I previously wanted are available in my city. I am now on the market for a 7-string guitar suitable for metal and am looking for some suggestions. My requirements are fast/thin neck, preferably passive pickups although I hear it's not always good for 7-string guitars. The one I'm currently looking at is Ibanez ARZ307, it's been the only one to catch my interest. For prices, I'm looking between $600 - 1200, but I may be willing to go over. Also being able to stay decently in tune on lower tunings is a factor.
Last edited by serpent_sun at Sep 1, 2011,
What's your city? You seem to have a decent budget. I've heard the ARZ 7 string has a fairly thick neck(that's probably just by Ibanez standards though), so you may want to look at the RG models. I'd definitely go with made in Japan.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Sep 1, 2011,
The RG7321 served me well for a while ... until I moved up to 8 strings.

It's pretty bog standard, no trem, shitty passive pickups etc. Depends on your budget really, that's all you'll get for the lower end of your budget, but if you're willing to go all the way then you'd be better settling with something that has active pickups (almost a must for the Low B, it's going to sound muddy as **** otherwise) and a trem/locking tuners if you need them.

As for lower tuninings ... what do you mean? Is there any need to go lower than the Low B?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 1, 2011,
Both Schecter and Ibanez have very good ranges of 7 strings, as well as ESP/LTD and Jackson. Are you looking for one with a trem? Without?
As far as pickups go, it is up to personal taste, I have passives in my Schecter Omen 7 (Dimarzio D-Sonics in Bridge, Air Norton in Neck) and I have never had an issue with muddiness.
Neck thickness is personal too, with Ibanez Rg Necks 1mm thinner than Schecter Necks.
I would recommend that you try out as many guitars you can, I have played both ibanez and Schecter 7 Strings and both companies make very good, versatile 7 strings.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Schecter C7 custom may be just your guitar. Good scale, Great pickups. These contain duncan actives. Set neck, the thing looks amazing with it's black quilt. Locking tuners. While everyone's playing a hellraiser, you'll be looking beast with this. It's about $750.
I want to go as low as Drop G, though I'd really prefer no locking tuners, I want to be able to use other tunings if I want.
I've contacted every shop in town for the ARZ307, none have it, none can order it for an entire month, and even then it will still take as long as another month based on other orders from the same distribution house. I can't wait that long, I'd appreciate if you could point me to a guitar that is equal to or better than the ARZ.
Quote by serpent_sun
I want to go as low as Drop G, though I'd really prefer no locking tuners, I want to be able to use other tunings if I want.

That's ridiculous. Get an 8 string
Quote by zucky22389
That's ridiculous. Get an 8 string

No more ridiculous than D standard honestly. It's just more range. Deal nigga.

TS, get a carvin on that budget. Seriously. It's been mentioned once before already. You have the money to get a custom made instrument from a very trustworthy company. You may have to stretch it by one or two hundred, but you should definitely go for it.

EDIT: Wait, you want to go to Drop B on a 7? TS You DO realize that the standard tuning on a 7 is B STANDARD right? Meaning you'd be tuning up? I know people do it, but I'm just making sure you realize that.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Sep 1, 2011,
To be honest I haven't nailed down the exact tuning I need just yet. 7-string bands I'm interested in are After The Burial, Born of Osiris, The Contortionist, etc, those bands tend to use lower tunings but I think they're in the range of C, but go as low as B and A. I don't think I have near the experience to put together a custom guitar.
Quote by La Qotsa
The RG7321 served me well for a while ... until I moved up to 8 strings.

...active pickups (almost a must for the Low B, it's going to sound muddy as **** otherwise)...

As for lower tuninings ... what do you mean? Is there any need to go lower than the Low B?

i dont even

Good passives (as in anything not stock on pretty much any post 2005 ibanez) will give you great tones. If I were you I'd either look for a used higher end Ibanez with good passives, or buy a 7321 and a pup swap- that is if you're not entirely sure about the whole 7 string thing, as it won't rape your wallet.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by serpent_sun
To be honest I haven't nailed down the exact tuning I need just yet. 7-string bands I'm interested in are After The Burial, Born of Osiris, The Contortionist, etc, those bands tend to use lower tunings but I think they're in the range of C, but go as low as B and A. I don't think I have near the experience to put together a custom guitar.

Go to carvin's website, and look at the specs. Give us what you want out of a guitar, and we can help you choose your specs

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I have an RGA7 and it's awesome. $500 new. Pickups are a tad muddy, but it has an active EQ you can switch on that fixes that a bunch.

And to be honest out of all of the guitars that I own, this is the only one with active pickups, and it's the muddiest. It's tuned to B standard. I also have a 6 string(also an Ibanz) tuned to drop A# or C standard depending on what I'm playing and it's pretty clear, stock pickups and all(SZR720, amazing piece of work).

But as another said, check out rondomusic. The Agile 7 strings sound fantastic and the prices are pretty low.
Quote by Våd Hamster

i dont even

Good passives (as in anything not stock on pretty much any post 2005 ibanez) will give you great tones. If I were you I'd either look for a used higher end Ibanez with good passives, or buy a 7321 and a pup swap- that is if you're not entirely sure about the whole 7 string thing, as it won't rape your wallet.

Have you ever played a 7 or 8 string with passives?

I don't even know of any high end 8s being made with passive pickups, that's just ****ing stupid. They aren't designed to handle low bass frequencies.

I stand by my original statement ... you NEED active pickups for clarity on an extended range guitar.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa

I don't even know of any high end 8s being made with passive pickups, that's just ****ing stupid. They aren't designed to handle low bass frequencies.

I stand by my original statement ... you NEED active pickups for clarity on an extended range guitar.

Sorry man, but this is one of the most hilarious things I have EVER read

If you aren't being sarcastic, the DiMarzio D-Activators are passive, so are lundgrens and that's what Meshuggah used a bunch (not sure if they still use em)
Quote by La Qotsa

Misha Mansoor, Tosin Abasi, and Chris Letchford would like a word with you.

*Tosin does have several customs with passives. Just his 2228 uses 808X's right now.
Quote by serpent_sun

I wish I had $1200 to spend on an instrument that I know nothing about! Okay, if you're wanting to play in drop B at the LOWEST, then as mentioned before you'd have to up-tune a step. I would suggest purchasing a higher end 6 string with a 25.5 scale and setting it up for what tuning you want.
u dont really need a 7 string to tune that low, just a preference of if u want 7 strings or not. had my LTD in drop G# for a while. but yea either look at agile or ibanez 7321
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by La Qotsa

Best be trolling
Quote by EspTro
u dont really need a 7 string to tune that low, just a preference of if u want 7 strings or not. had my LTD in drop G# for a while. but yea either look at agile or ibanez 7321

No, the 7321 is garbage for what you're paying.

Find a 7421/7621 instead, if you want a floating trem find a 7620.
Quote by La Qotsa

No you don't. I own a 7 string with passives which I have tuned to G in the past and the pickups are as clear as any active would be. I have also seen, heard and played an 8 with passives and there was absolutely no trouble with clarity, even when playing silly shred lines on the F# at the 12th fret and above.

You are wrong, end of.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
After The Burial uses 8-string guitars tuned a half step down from standard (like Meshuggah).

I think you need to sit down, do some research and THEN decide what you need?
If drop B is your thing, then go with a 6-string (which would probably be the best choice for drop tunings anyway). If you want drop B standard or drop A you should go get a 7-string.

Alternative you could just buy an 8 and have access to everything in 1 guitar (but I wouldn't recommend doing that though)! xD

My own experience says that it's nice to have a guitar for each tuning you use... but then again, that's just an excuse I tend to use when I buy more guitars! xD

EDIT:
And about that whole "active VS passive" discussion...
It's a matter of personal preference and really can't be discussed! If you know how to tweak you guitar/amp/recording rig you'll be able to use whatever pickups you end up with.
I'm normally an "active" guy, but Misha Mansoor have kinda' opened my eyes for the world of passives. In my eyes actives is just the easy way to achieve a generic metalcore tone, while passives is what really can make a guitar shine when tweaked properly!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Last edited by TheBloodstained at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by Våd Hamster

Best be trolling

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No you don't. I own a 7 string with passives which I have tuned to G in the past and the pickups are as clear as any active would be. I have also seen, heard and played an 8 with passives and there was absolutely no trouble with clarity, even when playing silly shred lines on the F# at the 12th fret and above.

You are wrong, end of.

Okay, I'm horribly wrong and passive pickups sound AMAZING on extended range guitars ...

what are you guys using them for? Jazz? If you want to Djent with clarity, you need actives.

I give up though, I obviously know nothing about anything.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by La Qotsa
Okay, I'm horribly wrong and passive pickups sound AMAZING on extended range guitars ...

what are you guys using them for? Jazz? If you want to Djent with clarity, you need actives.

I give up though, I obviously know nothing about anything.

Given that I can't think of any djent band that uses actives with the exception of Animals As Leaders and possibly the Monuments 8 string material, I think you're right in saying that you do indeed know nothing.

But hey, it's not like I'm talking from experience or anything, nah, that would be crazy. It's not like I own a 7 string and have played 8 strings and found the clarity to be fine. Nope. No sir.

It should also be noted that right now, for once, I'm not arguing against actives. Just you. Because you're wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Given that I can't think of any djent band that uses actives with the exception of Animals As Leaders and possibly the Monuments 8 string material, I think you're right in saying that you do indeed know nothing.

But hey, it's not like I'm talking from experience or anything, nah, that would be crazy. It's not like I own a 7 string and have played 8 strings and found the clarity to be fine. Nope. No sir.

It should also be noted that right now, for once, I'm not arguing against actives. Just you. Because you're wrong.

Sure I'm not speaking from experience either, I just came on here to rant about stuff I have no clue about.

I'd never buy an ERG without actives or a 6 string without them for Metal either, imo, they are needed.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by BloodReverence
Look up Agile guitars. www.rondomusic.com
they have a LOT of 7 string guitars for cheap that are REALLY good quality

Totally agree with this guy. Agile guitars are GREAT guitars for the money.
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
I appreciate all the responses. I really have no interest in active pickups for this guitar, and will go for a pickup swap only as a last resort if I can't find the right guitar I want. I thought of just getting a 6 and tuning to drop B, but I think I'm jonesin for that 7th string still.
Quote by La Qotsa
Sure I'm not speaking from experience either, I just came on here to rant about stuff I have no clue about.

I'd never buy an ERG without actives or a 6 string without them for Metal either, imo, they are needed.

Holy shit this guy is hilarious
Quote by serpent_sun
I appreciate all the responses. I really have no interest in active pickups for this guitar, and will go for a pickup swap only as a last resort if I can't find the right guitar I want. I thought of just getting a 6 and tuning to drop B, but I think I'm jonesin for that 7th string still.

You should really try a 7-string before you jump at it. I wanted a 7 for the longest time until I sat and actually played one, and the neck wasn't nearly as comfortable as I expected, so I looked through some 8 strings and fell in love.

It's all personal preference, and a certain number of strings might not be the answer you're looking for. Buying a new 6 string without trying it can be risky if you don't know how it feels, but if you've never tried a 7 string before and are buying blindly it's a bit of a jump and you might not be particularly satisfied.

And a p-up swap is really in order for a new Ibanez most of the time. The pickups don't nearly live up to the potential of the guitar's quality, unfortunately.
modes are a social construct
That is some good advice but I must ask how is the neck for an 8 more comfortable than a 7? I'd think it was the other way around. As for pickups, well, I only have access to a SpiderIV 75w for the time being so I don't think it really matters.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Holy shit this guy is hilarious

What guitars do you own, troll?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by serpent_sun
That is some good advice but I must ask how is the neck for an 8 more comfortable than a 7?

Big hands It's a personal thing, I like bigger, wider necks. 7 were enough to take me out of my comfort zone in the 6 string zone, but not enough to really satisfy me.
modes are a social construct
Quote by La Qotsa
What guitars do you own, troll?

A passive 8 string ukulele with a 24.75'' neck. Sounds glorious.

What about you, deaf guy?
Quote by La Qotsa

Quote by Kamikaze1014

My thoughts exactly.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2