I'm saving up to upgrade to a better amp head and I'm stuck between getting a Peavey 5150, or a Peavey JSX. What do you guys think? (I play things from pop-punk mainly, to metal for fun. )
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness
Out of those two I'd take the JSX, for it's more versatile. The 5150 is more of a metal amp and less capable of playing pop punk, so it's not really what you need.

Anyway, I'd take a look at Orange, Blackstar or Marshall, those might be amps you look for.
Quote by DarkValo666
Out of those two I'd take the JSX, for it's more versatile. The 5150 is more of a metal amp and less capable of playing pop punk, so it's not really what you need.

Anyway, I'd take a look at Orange, Blackstar or Marshall, those might be amps you look for.

I want an Orange really bad, but the price is honestly just too high. I'll look into Blackstar and Marshall definitely. I'll also look into a JSX.
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Sitcoms
  • Dead Fret

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I've got both, I'd say the JSX for what you want. You can do both pop/punk and metal great on JSX, while the 5150 is great for metal and decent for pop/punk. Either way you won't be disappointed but I think you'd enjoy the JSX more.
Yea, but if you answer those questions, I think that we can find something better suited (though the JSX may be perfectly adequate).
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
jsx is basically the best.
it has a really sweet overdrive, with enough gain from blues to metal. it cuts really well and it is also smooth. great cleans also, but you'd need a reverb pedal or something to liven it up a bit. but with the right cab it does everything very well.
Quote by LaidBack
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Budget- I'm saving up, so I'd be willing to save until I can afford said amp, but realistically, i would want to spend 1200 at the most probably.

Genres- Pop Punk mostly, I play metal/hardcore/etc. for fun though.

New or Used- Used definitely.

Home or Gig- Gigging. I play in a full band(another guitarist, bassist, and drummer, plus a vocalist)

Closest City- I live in Barbourville, Kentucky. There are guitar centers not too far from here, (one in Knoxville, TN; and one in Lexington, KY) Ebay is another way I'd be willing to purchase.

Current gear- I currently own a crate flexwave 120h(which is why I'm looking to upgrade.) and a fender 412fm cab(i'm willing to keep this cab, i actually like it a lot.)
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Sitcoms
  • Dead Fret