Got a bit disheartened with my playing as of late, so i'm trying to find some player that I can use to perk myself up again, by learning some of their style/licks/whatever

(Not, Slash, Hendrix, Vai, Satriani, some remotely original suggestions )

Literally any genre's fine, I could do with expanding my horizons a little bit

(Except like, pop punk type stuff, since it's just far too basic)

Thanks in advance
Michael

P.S. Please don't start with all the 'Oh, you shouldn't try to mimic guitarists, you should play your own style, this is just to get me out of a little rut
Last edited by Seddon1707 at Sep 1, 2011,
You shouldn't try to mimic guitarists, you should play your own style.

Nah but really, i like people like Andy James, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Guthrie Goven, Synyster Gates (flame shield on), James Hetfield.
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 1, 2011,
Randy Rhoads's two main scale combination shapes will increase your improv skills quite a bit if you don't already know them.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Keith Merrow has inspired me rhythmically lately. I know you said no shreddy stuff, but check out Greg Howe. Very melodic player, may influence you in that manner.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

The Keith Merrow guy seems rather good, do you know if he does any 6 string stuff?
Last edited by Seddon1707 at Sep 1, 2011,
Yes I second Gilmour for sure. Also try some Robert Fripp. Some very interesting sounding stuff. I felt like I could come up with better stuff after listening to songs by King Crimson.
Robben Ford, Wes Montgomery, Steve Cropper
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Guthrie Govan
Adrian Smith / Dave Murray (Iron Maiden Guitarists)
Kirk Hammett
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Randy Rhoads
Tony Iommi
Paul Gilbert
Jimmy Page

Shall I name some more?
Solo artists

PAUL GILBERT
Michael Angelo batio
ALAN HOLDSWORTH
SHAWN LANE
Yngwie malmsteen
Steve vai
GUTHRIE GOVAN
JOE SATRIANI
BUCKETHEAD ( Soothsayer is a must listen)

band guitarists

ADRIAN SMITH
Dave Murray
MARTY FRIEDMAN
Glenn Tipton
KK downing
Chris broderick
Dave mustaine
Kirk hammet
JOHN PETRUCCI
DAVID GILMOUR
RANDY RHOADS
Tony Iommi

Theres just a few. The ones in caps are the ones that i think you should check out first. Im aware that some are both solo and band guitarists
Im gonna disregard that some names have bin mentioned and just list guitar players/bands i like here.
This will be everything from pop/rock to metal to fusion.

John mayer
Andy mckee
Don ross
Foo fighters
Satriani
Vai
Vinnie moore
Yngwie malmsteen
Tony macplaine
Children of bodom
Dream Theater
John Petrucci
Andy timmons
Symphony x
Scale the summit
Animals as leaders
Paul wardingham
Scar symmetry
Paul gilbert
Allan holdsworth
Guthrie govan
Frank gambale
Eric johnson
Eric clapton
Jason becker
Toto
Europe
Journey
Shawn lane
stevie ray vaughn
Veil of maya
Born of osiris
Lamb of god.

I hope that helped.

EDIT: My personal favorites on that list is animals as leaders and scale the summit.
Last edited by Sickz at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by Seddon1707
The Keith Merrow guy seems rather good, do you know if he does any 6 string stuff?

I believe some of his older stuff is 6 string, but it's all down to Bb if I remember right. So either way your guitars taking a trip to the great down under.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by fretmaster13
Randy Rhoads's two main scale combination shapes will increase your improv skills quite a bit if you don't already know them.

Actually, would you mind going into a bit more detail about that? I can't find anything about it on Google
Quote by Seddon1707
Actually, would you mind going into a bit more detail about that? I can't find anything about it on Google

It doesn't matter anyway, he's talking crap, learning a pair of scale shapes won't make you any better at anything other than playing those shapes, which really isn't improvisation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Just to name a few that aren't mentioned all that often:

Mike Mcready (Pearl Jam)

John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Abbath (Immortal)

All three produce vastly different music from each other and are not 'shreddy' types. (I'll admit, Abbath's playing is A LOT different from the other two - being black metal and all. But the way he plays makes it sound like there are two guitars...there's only one.

I've found inspiration from all three artists at one point or another.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Listen to "before the beginning" by john frusciante. hes awesome! psychedelic music always gets me motivated xD also the live version of stairway to heaven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q7Vr3yQYWQ

its pretty awesome
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Wow. Hostility on this thread. These are the best shapes for improving your improv quickly. It allows you to build upon them pretty easily too.

I didn't learn much from the 4 or 5 lessons I had in the past. What I think you should do is learn the pentatonic scale if you don't know it already and then play them each note in order. Don't worry about speed. Once you have them down start making lines out of it. Make a group of triplets out of it or listen to some blues, but don't copy their blues licks. Just hear it and then try to play it. If it's not exact, that's alright. Then learn this shape and do the same thing.

e------------------------------------------7-8-10----
B---------------------------------7-8-10-------------
G----------------------------7-9---------------------
D-------------------7-9-10---------------------------
A----------7-9-10------------------------------------
E-7-8-10---------------------------------------------

This can be played over both E minor and G major. The 7 on the A string is the lowest root note in the shape for E minor. The 10 on the A string is the lowest root note in the key of G major. Pentatonic and this scale shape will improve your improv a lot. Then you'll eventually see the patterns within the shape, such as the sweep pattern in it on the bottom strings (highest sounding ones).

The 7 on the low E string, the 9 on the A string, and the 9 on the D string will get you some nice exotic sounding tension tones. These notes make up a B power chord. So landing on those notes will make the line you're playing sound sort of Spanish. Like the A minor chord to E major chord sort of sound.

Here's the shape that makes blues fun to play too:

e|----------------------------------------5-(6)7-8-|
B|-----------------------------5-6(7)-8-----------|
G|---------------------5-7-8----------------------|
D|---------------5-7-------------------------------|
A|-------5-(6)-7------------------------------------|
E|-5-8---------------------------------------------|

The notes in the parentheses are generally passing tones in blues. They can be used in anything really. Randy used these shapes in nearly all of the solos and fills he wrote when he was living.

This is all in the key of A minor, but you can use the shapes for the relative major. You can move them up and down the fretboard.

I learned this by learning nearly every single Rhoads solo in my early years. I started to see the main shapes he used. Just build off of these if Rhoads is your type of player.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by fretmaster13
Wow. Hostility on this thread. These are the best shapes for improving your improv quickly. It allows you to build upon them pretty easily too.

I didn't learn much from the 4 or 5 lessons I had in the past. What I think you should do is learn the pentatonic scale if you don't know it already and then play them each note in order. Don't worry about speed. Once you have them down start making lines out of it. Make a group of triplets out of it or listen to some blues, but don't copy their blues licks. Just hear it and then try to play it. If it's not exact, that's alright. Then learn this shape and do the same thing.

e------------------------------------------7-8-10----
B---------------------------------7-8-10-------------
G----------------------------7-9---------------------
D-------------------7-9-10---------------------------
A----------7-9-10------------------------------------
E-7-8-10---------------------------------------------

This can be played over both E minor and G major. The 7 on the A string is the lowest root note in the shape for E minor. The 10 on the A string is the lowest root note in the key of G major. Pentatonic and this scale shape will improve your improv a lot. Then you'll eventually see the patterns within the shape, such as the sweep pattern in it on the bottom strings (highest sounding ones).

The 7 on the low E string, the 9 on the A string, and the 9 on the D string will get you some nice exotic sounding tension tones. These notes make up a B power chord. So landing on those notes will make the line you're playing sound sort of Spanish. Like the A minor chord to E major chord sort of sound.

Here's the shape that makes blues fun to play too:

e|----------------------------------------5-(6)7-8-|
B|-----------------------------5-6(7)-8-----------|
G|---------------------5-7-8----------------------|
D|---------------5-7-------------------------------|
A|-------5-(6)-7------------------------------------|
E|-5-8---------------------------------------------|

The notes in the parentheses are generally passing tones in blues. They can be used in anything really. Randy used these shapes in nearly all of the solos and fills he wrote when he was living.

This is all in the key of A. You can move them up and down the fretboard.

Is it just me or havent you bin posting this exact post to alot of theard, even threads like this one where it aint what the TS asked for?
I've posted half of it before. I'm saving more to the initial file I had saved. Some of these people ask the same things a lot, and these shapes will DEFINITELY help someone who's lost.

Oh, and the OP asked for the scale shapes.
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 2, 2011,
Tosin Abasi
Bulb
Christian Muenzner
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Jeff Loomis
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Andy James
Buckethead
James Murphy
Mattias IA Eklundh
Per Nilsson
Brett Garsed
Quote by Scratcher17

Jason Becker

Check out his story, if that doesn't inspire you, nothing will = )
thread's dead baby, thread's dead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com