hi guys,

im looking into buying a Boss ME-70 but i curious about a how the phrase looper works.
it says that it has a 48 second looper but does that mean that i can record one 48 second phrase and then overdub it with another 48 second phrase or does it mean that once the the originalo phrase plus the overdubs add up to 48 seconds of recording it stop recording. can you also tell me if 48 seconds is a lot (either way i described it).

what do you guys think is better, Boss ME-70 or Vox Tonelab LE (this is a secondry question, please answer my top question first)

thanks
Overdubs are just that - they are dubbed over, that is, on top of, the original phrase. Once the overdub is written to the original loop, it's all just one loop with the same length as the original. That is to say, you can overdub as much as you want on a 38 second original loop.
TS is your name mike?
i'm fairly certain the total time is 48 seconds
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Well if you want a looper then the Boss is obviously better because IIRC the LE doesn't have a looper. Also I read that the Boss ME-70 looper is 38 and in the delay section. If using the looper precludes using delay I would consider that a problem.

The ME-25 has a 38 sec looper as well but you can use the delay at the same time. You might want to look at the $200 Zoom G3, which has a 40 sec looper with synchronized drum machine. If you need an expression pedal the $30 M-Audio EX-P can be added. Five of my songs were done with the G3 looper and a couple of them with the ME-25 looper.
Quote by IronMaiden76
No, Roc gave the correct answer. Up to 38 sec on the original loop and the overdubs can be infinitely added, but the loop length is always the same length as the first recording.
Quote by fly135
Well if you want a looper then the Boss is obviously better because IIRC the LE doesn't have a looper. Also I read that the Boss ME-70 looper is 38 and in the delay section. If using the looper precludes using delay I would consider that a problem.

The ME-25 has a 38 sec looper as well but you can use the delay at the same time. You might want to look at the $200 Zoom G3, which has a 40 sec looper with synchronized drum machine. If you need an expression pedal the $30 M-Audio EX-P can be added. Five of my songs were done with the G3 looper and a couple of them with the ME-25 looper.

But if you want the expression pedal to be built into the unit then you can also consider the digitech rp355. It has a drum machine and a 20 sec looper. You can only use one at a time though. The g3 is probably the best way to go for you because of the synced drums with the looper. But with the g3 only 3 effects can be on at the same time, which can be a problem.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by IronMaiden76
TS is your name mike?

no, my name isnt mike... why did you think so?
thanks guys, but id like some more info...

is 38 seconds a lot (not in comparison to proper 20 minute loopers - just in general when writing a 4 minute song)?

and also i want to know how many effects a zoom G3 has because the reason i am getting a multi effects pedal is obviously for the effects. how can i connect the zoom g3 to the computer? is it a usb cable or a usb to midi cable?
I was sort of hoping you could figure that out yourself. 38 seconds is quite a long phrase, and a minute with a stopwatch and a guitar would show you that nearly any progression you come up with is shorter than that.

In the same "I bet you can do this yourself" vein, here's the specs page on the G3.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/spec/

We're glad to help out with confusing or complex issues, but it's usually good to do some research yourself first on very cut and dry questions like basic specs. It's a waste of the forum to ask questions google would answer in a few seconds.
The G3 can connect with USB and act as an audio interface for recording. The G3 can have 3 active effects. Some of the FX have two in one. Like comp+OD or Delay+Reverb. You can also treat it like part of a pedalboard and (for example) put distortion, compressor, and/or wah in front of it.

38 secs is a reasonable amount of recording time. It's enough for a 12 bar blues in a reasonably slow tempo. If you listen to the music in my link, most of them are done with the G3 or ME-25. Even though I have a Jamman I find the non-storage type loopers in the multifx to be less "technical". I may not be the same as everyone, but I find it easier to get into a creative improv/jam mood is things are simple. And the drum machine in the G3 is a huge feature.

If I have to record drum loops at different tempos and then store them into multiple loops on my Jamman. Then recall which ones and where they are later I have a hard time getting into the spirit of playing. It's important for you to decide specifically what your needs are. I can only tell you what works for me.

If you want to buy a multifx and get the full capability of the dedicated loopers built in then I suggest you check eBay for a used GNX4. It has a full Jamman with up to 2Gig storage plus 8 track recorder built in. And it has an internal midi drum machine that syncs to the Jamman/Recorder.
Quote by Roc8995
I was sort of hoping you could figure that out yourself. 38 seconds is quite a long phrase, and a minute with a stopwatch and a guitar would show you that nearly any progression you come up with is shorter than that.

In the same "I bet you can do this yourself" vein, here's the specs page on the G3.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/spec/

We're glad to help out with confusing or complex issues, but it's usually good to do some research yourself first on very cut and dry questions like basic specs. It's a waste of the forum to ask questions google would answer in a few seconds.

ive decided that i dont like you.

jks. but the original question that i asked i couldnt find the answer to on google so it wasnt a wast of forum space and anyway why does it matter if someone makes another thread, if you dont want to go on it dont go on it.
Quote by itamar101
...why does it matter if someone makes another thread, if you dont want to go on it dont go on it.
When you see "moderator" under someone's name you are supposed to suck up a little.
The thread itself is fine, I just meant some of the followup questions about amount of time and basic specs were ones you probably could have answered.

As far as the items you're looking at, the ME-70 didn't impress me much. Line 6 is doing really good floor models, I'd suggest looking there first.
Hey dude, if you make more than one thread on the same topic it will be closed.
Quote by Roc8995
The thread itself is fine, I just meant some of the followup questions about amount of time and basic specs were ones you probably could have answered.

As far as the items you're looking at, the ME-70 didn't impress me much. Line 6 is doing really good floor models, I'd suggest looking there first.

thanks, what do you think about the tone of the zoom g3 compared to the me70?

i would look at line 6 but i cant afford it which is why im considering a used me 70 or a zoom g3 - unless theres a PROPER line 6 floor model *proper, meaning that it is not the line 6 pod but rather the line 6 pod hd---esque model
IMO, the amp models on the me70 sound fizzy to me, but that's just my opinion.

And you also get more effects and amp models on the g3.
Yeah, really no point in making another thread. And I believe I'm the only one on this board that has a G3. You should decided for yourself which is better feature wise between the two by reading the manual. My experience with Boss is mixed. I think the ME-25 came out later and has better distortion tones. IIRC the ME-70 is earlier than the ME-25 and I am unsure about the quality of the distortion tones.

I can tell you the tones in the G3 are top notch. No complaints with the amp models or FX.
i thought it was 48, my bad
my friend mike is getting an ME-70 too
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by fly135
When you see "moderator" under someone's name you are supposed to suck up a little.

im just saying what i think, people should be given warnings and such for so slight and harmless things so quickly.
hopefully they will become nicer each time i dont suck it up

and thank for the info on the Zoom G3, one question - do i need the FP01 to use the looper and can i use a Zoom dunlop cry baby pedal instead of the Zoom FP02 or would that not work?
You don't need anything external to use the looper. A crybaby will not work, but other brands of expression pedal (not wahs) will.
Quote by Roc8995
You don't need anything external to use the looper. A crybaby will not work, but other brands of expression pedal (not wahs) will.

thanks, youve been very helpful. best bet is that ill get the Zoom G3.

(thanks for not being one of those mean mods that ban you or close your threads for any tiny thing... i like you now)

Edit: i just looked at your profile and i like excactly the same musicians as you!!!

RHCP, Led Zeppelin, the beatles, clapton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John Frusciante is GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i have a les paul and the guitar i want is a white falcon... you have a black falcon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by itamar101 at Sep 1, 2011,
NPD = New Pedal Day...

Then everyone posts back HNPD (Happy NPD)

Just make sure you post a pic, review it from your perspective, and hopefully throw in some sound clips.
Now you'll have someone to share patches with fly.
Quote by fly135
NPD = New Pedal Day...

Then everyone posts back HNPD (Happy NPD)

Just make sure you post a pic, review it from your perspective, and hopefully throw in some sound clips.

thanks, youve been great help!!!