Hi, My "fretless wonder" is no good for shredding, but I now have a Fender MIM Telecaster which has medium frets and is better for legato. I'd like to move into shredding. Can anyone shred on a Tele or should I keep an eye out for a "Wizard neck" Ibanez or similar?
Cheers
If you can 'shred', you should be able to do it on any guitar.

I can understand why you may struggle on a fretless, but you should be able to do it on any fretted guitar. The only difference will be how it sounds - a standard telecaster will have single coil pickups, so will sound very different to shredding on a guitar with humbuckers.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It depends on you really. I see people shred like crazy on Les Pauls and Teles on youtube, and I can shred decently on one as well, but I'm so much better on my Ibby with a wizard II neck, it's ridiculous. I have big hands and I learned on a guitar with a fatter neck. I've owned some very different guitars, all with very different necks, and my Ibanez RG beats them all for shredding. And I prefer 24 frets, not just for the higher notes, but it generally makes the 21-22 frets much more accessible.

So, anyone telling you that you can shred on a tele is right, but what's best for you depends solely on your own preferences.

Sorry if that wasn't helpful
John 5 and Andy Timmons both play Teles, and while I'm not too familiar with either(I listen to a bit of Rob Zombie here and there but there's not much lead work in Rob Zombie), I hear both can shred. My lead guitarist also used a Tele for about a year, and he found it better for shredding than his Washburn DD61, which is decidedly a more "metal" guitar.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
It's all a matter of preference and getting used to it. I've been shredding only on Fenders for quite a few years, and a Tele is what I'm most comfortable with. In fact, I can't play comfortably at all on guitars with thin necks.
Give it a try, if you like the feel it's all that matters, you can change pickups if needed later.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
if it's anyways similar to my strats neck (which is a standard C, not a thin/fast neck) then it's all fine. it really depends on what you want. i don't reallylike les pauls nor i like the fast necks out there. my strat is just my thing. may be you might want to change the pickups however
It's about your muscle control in your hands. Playing fast isn't facilitated by a thin neck and jumbo frets. If you can play fast on a Wizard neck you should be able to play just as fast on a 50's Gibson style neck. I have a Washburn X-50 Pro which has a considerably thicker neck than my '87 RG560 has and I can play just as fast on either one. It's all about how much you actually practice. No neck is going to make you play faster. If the speed isn't already in your hands, a thinner piece of wood isn't going to add to your muscle in your hands.

If you're a good player, you can play just as fast on any guitar as another. But if you're going for that type of sound, most guys use humbuckers. You could put one in a Tele. You'd have to have it routed out for a neck humbucker too.
richie kotzen. nuff said
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by bustapr
richie kotzen. nuff said

Pretty much what I was going to say. The man is a beast.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by K Reyn
Click my sig if you want to see the ultimate Tele player. Also youtube: Danny Gatton, that guy is considered by some to be the Telemaster.

+10 good sir

I was actually going to give that link before I saw that you did. Roy is a great example of speed (not necessarily shred) on a telecaster. For my part I love the kind of twang sound that teles have particularly for metal. It cuts through the mix.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by reversegenesis
Jim Root shreds on a tele.

this
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Yeah John 5 can get pretty insane and all he uses are teles. Check out Black widow of La Porte
Last edited by TimePirate at Sep 3, 2011,
Thanks all. So the Tele should be OK. I know it just takes practise but I want to make sure I'm not making it harder than necessary for myself.

How about action? Is the lower the better for shredding? I know tone is sacrificed but it's about making it as easy as possible for the moment!
Quote by GaryBillington
If you can 'shred', you should be able to do it on any guitar.

I can understand why you may struggle on a fretless, but you should be able to do it on any fretted guitar. The only difference will be how it sounds - a standard telecaster will have single coil pickups, so will sound very different to shredding on a guitar with humbuckers.

Yup. I mean, you'll definitely need to adjust for string gauge, neck width and such, but buying a new guitar with a thin neck isn't going to make it easy to learn.
Personally, a thin neck sucks for me when shredding on a '93 S470SOL. It's annoyingly thin... I like Fender necks a lot, Gibson necks, and Jackson necks. The most comfortable neck I've ever played is a Squier 50s Vibe Strat neck, and I shred better on it than all the others I have. It's just more comfortable for me.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
I used to think my Gibson's thick neck ('59 style) was slowing me down and making it harder for me to play fast.

After getting it signed, I almost never even took it out of its case.

A long time passed, and I was a good bit better at playing (I'm still not great by any means). I took out the Les Paul just to play with it a bit and see what it sounded and felt like because it had been so long.

That's when I realized that, while some necks may be more comfortable than others to you, the only thing that will make your playing better is practice.
I'd advise you to learn your chops on the tele. If you can do it on that, you can do it on anything.

Not necessarily because the neck would be harder to play on, but because the treble response on a tele means if you play it badly it will sound terrible. Learn how to play well on that and you will have a real good grounding technique-wise for whatever you buy next.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
if your going to shred with high gain, you might want to change the pickups to hotrails or something similar. But that will also take away the teleness of the guitar. If your going low gain they sound really good. Check this guy out,shredding on low gain tele to megadeth and richie kotzen songs:

http://www.youtube.com/user/102totsu102
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
By shred I'm guesing you mean a fast playing neck. If your looking for a fast neck the best way to go would be ibanez. Jackson necks are pretty slim too. I would recommend going to guitar center and playing some ibanez esp/ltd or schecters and seeing which guitar plays the best to you.
Quote by primesuspect
Hi, My "fretless wonder" is no good for shredding, but I now have a Fender MIM Telecaster which has medium frets and is better for legato. I'd like to move into shredding. Can anyone shred on a Tele or should I keep an eye out for a "Wizard neck" Ibanez or similar?
Cheers
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272