I dont even know the word for it... but I was looking for people to share some of their favorite open string chord "combos"

These would be chords or chord shapes that leave a finger free.

The first examples everyone learns are A Asus2 Asus4 and D Dsus2 Dsus4... using that pinky to get a different chord variation.

One of my favorites is Alice in Chains Rooster where its F# and A played with the E shape barre chord. You remove that barre index finger just leaving the E shape on the on ADG strings and you get an F#(somethin) and Aadd9. So cool, so simple.

I was playing a C chord like this:
E 3
A 2
D 2
G 0
B 0
e 0

Thats C7/G. But drop the pinky on the 3rd fret on the B string and its a Cadd9/G. Drop the pink on the high E string next and its back to C7/G but a different voicing.

Anyone feel like sharing some chord shape like that they use a lot or just sounds cool?

Easier is better! I'm new
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike

I was playing a C chord like this:
E 3
A 2
D 2
G 0
B 0
e 0

Thats C7/G.

Thats Em/G

C7 contains the notes C, E, G and Bb
Not sure how it called but I like to play a Dm chord
E x
A x
D 0
G 2
B 3
e 1
Then change the e string to 3 and 5 or play the Dm with an open B string, it's easy enough that you can insert it into any progression that fits the scale. I like it
Amaj9 - B9sus4 - Emaj7
-0-0-0
-0-0-0
-6-6-8
-6-7-6
-0---7
---7-
Last edited by mdc at Sep 1, 2011,
With Am, I tend to spice it up a little by either barring my first finger over the high E on the first fret or putting my pinky on the 3rd fret of the high E for arpeggiating. Also, there's one chord progression I made up that I really like, though I'm not quite sure it's in a scale(they scale I was using was E Enigmatic):

Aadd13-(7th fret on the D, 9th on the G, 6th on the B and open high E)
G6add13-/5-(it's a Dm-shape starting on the 4th fret of the B string, with an open high E)
Dsus2/F
Am

I didn't know the chords had such long names when I thought them up...xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by g1asseye
Thats Em/G

C7 contains the notes C, E, G and Bb
its Cmaj7. 1-3-5-7

Did you want to add to the discussion? Geeze... thanks though
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
its Cmaj7. 1-3-5-7

No worries. I didn't mean to seem rude I'm sorry!

And yes *grabs guitar* I will try and add to your discussion!

Its a simple chord but a great voicing!

e0
G0
B9
D6
A7
E0

E major!
Quote by g1asseye
No worries. I didn't mean to seem rude I'm sorry!

And yes *grabs guitar* I will try and add to your discussion!

Its a simple chord but a great voicing!

e0
G0
B9
D6
A7
E0

E major!

thanks man... I appreciate that! Not enough people do that on the internet. I try to to treat people in forums like I would if we were having a pint, but thats just me. Im old.
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
its Cmaj7. 1-3-5-7

go ahead and tell me where you see a C in the chord you posted. it's Em/G.

i personally like the open C chord shifted up two frets with the G string muted, as such:

e|-0-|
B|-3-|
G|-x-|
D|-4-|
A|-5-|
E|-x-|
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I used to add the F# to the bottom of a D chord.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Going by the boundaries you've set (at least one finger must be free), a go-to chords for me that use opens would be Amaj7#11 as something of a cluster (think Frank Zappa's Zoot Allures). Or change one note and it becomes A7#11.

Amaj7#11 - A7#11

-0-0-
-4-4-
-6-6-
-6-5-
-0-0-
-X-X-
Quote by AeolianWolf
go ahead and tell me where you see a C in the chord you posted. it's Em/G.

i personally like the open C chord shifted up two frets with the G string muted, as such:

e|-0-|
B|-3-|
G|-x-|
D|-4-|
A|-5-|
E|-x-|
you guys are right... I'm sorry, because I posted my chord WRONG. DUH... sorry

I was playing the C like this:
E 3
A 3
D 2
G 0
B 0
e 0

then dropping the pinky on the 3rd fret of the B string taking me from Cmaj7 to Cadd9 then put the pinky to the little e string for a differnt voicing of the Cmaj7

That and Em is an AlicenChains song... nutshell? I cant remember... IVe heard it somewhere
he of tranquil mind