I know ive posted quite alot about amps recently, but seeing as il have to save for a while im keeping my options open. The hughes and kettner tubemeister 18, ive seen lots of good reviews (and quite frankly the blue light is awesome) but i have a couple of questions: Does it work for Garage rock/indie/alternative rock? (ala the strokes, and muse). Because most reviews ive seen have been in a metal context. And also, does it take pedals well? Thanks.
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
Just goto the webpage it should answer all your questions with the Specs sheet...

Any amp will work for any situation; however it will not have the same tone as the bands you are looking for, they only way to accomplish that is to get all the same gear. H&K amps have a british flavored voicing to them so think along the lines of Marshall or Orange (there are more)

The Tubemiester has an effects loop so it will take pedals extremely well

Other then that just go into a store and try one see if its for you.
yer i really wanna try one of these, the specs look too gd to be true. Also the weight concerns me. I mean 5kg for a tube head. Whats up with that? Anyone got one of these? if soo post CLIPZ!
^Im pretty sure it's made of aluminium not wood so that must save a bit of weight...I think...anyway I've seen pretty good demos on YouTube of mid-gain rock so it should be able to handle those tones quite well
Last edited by Ibanez734 at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Its also got SS stuff going on. Its only got two preamp tubes.

I thought that too but H&K swear blind that it's all tube...
Quote by Ibanez734
I thought that too but H&K swear blind that it's all tube...

Marketing.

Unless im very much mistaken, the amount of gain it has is not possible with just two tubes.

EDIT:: That said and done, its a darn nice sounding amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9VOAAnlPw4
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Marketing.

Agreed...since Blackstar you can never be sure what "all-tube" means lol.
Quote by Ibanez734
Agreed...since Blackstar you can never be sure what "all-tube" means lol.

I have a simple definition
Preamp shouldnt have clipping diodes, poweramp should have OT.
Everything else, I dont give a damn
soo tubemeister isnt all tube either? whats not valve about it? i thought i saw a video about this and they said the reason they can get soo much gain from such a small amount of tubes is down to clever circuitry not solid state trickery? or where they just lying?
Nah its just marketing, theres clipping diodes in the preamp. Still sounds good though
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
I wanna see a schematic. There's rumours of one floating around but with a lot of Googling all I could find was "I've seen a schematic" but no actual schematic. So here is your mission if you choose to accept it; "find a schematic"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I wanna see a schematic. There's rumours of one floating around but with a lot of Googling all I could find was "I've seen a schematic" but no actual schematic. So here is your mission if you choose to accept it; "find a schematic"

+1

Unless you've stared down their schematic, any claims of SS trickery is still just a claim.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Gutshots would be pretty telling as well.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Everyone that says they've seen a schematic says there's solid state in the preamp...
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
You can actually get quite a lot of gain out of a single 12AX7 (not counting the PI because that's in the power amp) with an EL84 amp. Your classic 18W Marshall uses both sides of the 12AX7 in parallel. If you run them in series you get quite a lot of gain. An EL84 requires very little input signal to operate. If it was a 6L6 amp I'd be calling instant shenanigans but out of an EL84 that level of distortion is quite possible. Add to the mix a post PI master volume and I think you'd just about get there.
However, the bar for what qualifies as "all-tube" by marketing departments these days has been significantly lowered by Blackstar so I wouldn't be surprised to see anything in there. So, find a schematic or at the very least a high resolution photo of the guts.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by Ibanez734
Everyone that says they've seen a schematic says there's solid state in the preamp...

Ok I really have to ask this now:

1. Who are these "EVERYONE"?
2. how do you know these "EVEERYONE" are trustworthy, unbiased and independent?
3. How do you know they actually have seen said schematic? Any proof or verification?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Cathbard
You can actually get quite a lot of gain out of a single 12AX7 (not counting the PI because that's in the power amp) with an EL84 amp. Your classic 18W Marshall uses both sides of the 12AX7 in parallel. If you run them in series you get quite a lot of gain. An EL84 requires very little input signal to operate. If it was a 6L6 amp I'd be calling instant shenanigans but out of an EL84 that level of distortion is quite possible. Add to the mix a post PI master volume and I think you'd just about get there.
However, the bar for what qualifies as "all-tube" by marketing departments these days has been significantly lowered by Blackstar so I wouldn't be surprised to see anything in there. So, find a schematic or at the very least a high resolution photo of the guts.

interesting. I still suspect shenanigans, but as you say, the 18 watt has a reasonable (classic rock) level of gain, so maybe, I dunno.

Agreed with wanting to see a schematic, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 3, 2011,
Exactly. I've read lots of claims to having seen a schematic but no evidence produced. I say, "put up or shut up."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ragingkitty
Ok I really have to ask this now:

1. Who are these "EVERYONE"?
2. how do you know these "EVEERYONE" are trustworthy, unbiased and independent?
3. How do you know they actually have seen said schematic? Any proof or verification?

1. People on various forums.
2. I never said they were I just said that they claim it has solid state in it.
3. I never said I believed them I jst said they claim it has solid state in it.
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Quote by Ibanez734
1. People on various forums.
2. I never said they were I just said that they claim it has solid state in it.
3. I never said I believed them I jst said they claim it has solid state in it.

1. How do you know they're no bandwagoning and slagging off H&K? Better still how do you know these people are not H&K competitors slagging off H&K

2 & 3. Please explain this statement, where you seem to agree on the SS workings

Quote by Ibanez734
Nah its just marketing, theres clipping diodes in the preamp. Still sounds good though

If you don't strongly believe in these individuals please don't parrot their claims.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
1. How do you know they're no bandwagoning and slagging off H&K? Better still how do you know these people are not H&K competitors slagging off H&K

2 & 3. Please explain this statement, where you seem to agree on the SS workings

If you don't strongly believe in these individuals please don't parrot their claims.

1. I don't.
2&3. I never said that I believed their claims to have seen a schematic. I do however think there's SS in it as most amps with 2 preamp tubes need SS to produce this level of gain.
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Quote by Dave_Mc

my dad has one, but whether it still works... It worked the last time we tried it, but that was ages ago.

i haven't listened to the albums, i'm just going by the singles

But

interesting. I still suspect shenanigans, but as you say, the 18 watt has a reasonable (classic rock) level of gain, so maybe, I dunno.

Agreed with wanting to see a schematic, though.

The tubemeister produced enough gain for 80's thrash
Is that possible with two 12AX7's?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The tubemeister produced enough gain for 80's thrash
Is that possible with two 12AX7's?

If you ran the two triodes in V1 in series I reckon you probably could when being fed into EL84's. I am a little skeptical but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility at all. We need schematics.
Configuring an 18W'er so you can switch between parallel triodes and series triodes with a PPIMV is something I've always wanted to try myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard

+1

H&K has been known to screw around with SS/hybrid designs for quite some time... the amps sound good though and typically, H&K have been very very careful to use ambigious wording when describing their designs - they would, for example, say stuff along the lines of "60w of tube power", which doesn't relate to anything happening before the power tubes, or "pure tube distortion", which conveniently ignores ss-gain-stages in the preamp that don't distort the signal. When pressed hard about the Statesman series, for example, they'd get squeamish.
The part about the Tubemeister I found striking is that they flat out said "this is a full-tube amp" - and it wasn't just a slip of the tongue, it was said boldly and repeatedly on seperate occasions.
Quote by TheQuailman
+1

H&K has been known to screw around with SS/hybrid designs for quite some time... the amps sound good though and typically, H&K have been very very careful to use ambigious wording when describing their designs - they would, for example, say stuff along the lines of "60w of tube power", which doesn't relate to anything happening before the power tubes, or "pure tube distortion", which conveniently ignores ss-gain-stages in the preamp that don't distort the signal. When pressed hard about the Statesman series, for example, they'd get squeamish.
The part about the Tubemeister I found striking is that they flat out said "this is a full-tube amp" - and it wasn't just a slip of the tongue, it was said boldly and repeatedly on seperate occasions.

hmmmm....guess they just found a new way to get all taht gain then/
Quote by Cathbard
Exactly. I've read lots of claims to having seen a schematic but no evidence produced. I say, "put up or shut up."

EDIT: also isn't there a certain type of PI where you can get away with only using one triode? It's unlikely they're using that type of one, but if they are, that'd be 3 triodes in the preamp... which still isn't a ton of gain, configured normally anyway (i mean i think my laney gh50l has 5 with the extra gain stage engaged ), but possibly a bit more than classic rock levels.

Quote by TheQuailman
+1

that's a good point.

I dunno.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: also isn't there a certain type of PI where you can get away with only using one triode?

yes, it's called a split load phase inverter. They could be using one of those too (although I doubt it). That would give three stages for your preamp. They look like this:

Like I said, I withold judgement until I see a schematic or a high res photo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks

and yeah, same here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cath, a paraphase would work, too, right?

Anyway, I'm liking the PPIMV idea, seems plausible. But the "let's wait until we see a schem" approach is probably best.
i was looking violently for a schematic yesterday but could find one. Must be someone reading this thread who has one! Pst gut shots! I wouldnt have a clue what they mean must most of these guys will :P
i hve an idea. anybody just call them? call their tech support and striaght up ask? i mean its a shot...
somebody emailed them a while back, i think. Not certain.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
somebody emailed them a while back, i think. Not certain.

If they have something to hide, then they'll refuse to share ANY schematics.

That probably answers your question.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Not necessarily. A lot of companies never send out schematics, which makes sense. If they've got authorized service centers, there's no reason to give out free blueprints for their products to anyone who asks. It's not necessarily because they are trying to cover up some SS components.
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^They did send Kyle a schem for the Edition Tube model when he asked for a service diagram.... which had some OP-amps as the first gain-stages if I recall correctly. Maybe they don't want to send out anything because it's fresh on the market, I don't know. It's unlikely anyone will need a schem for servicing the TM yet.
Quote by Roc8995
Not necessarily. A lot of companies never send out schematics, which makes sense. If they've got authorized service centers, there's no reason to give out free blueprints for their products to anyone who asks. It's not necessarily because they are trying to cover up some SS components.

Haha being in Market strategy I'm well aware of that... But
1. I couldn't really be bothered to type all that out on my iPhone, so I though I'd let someone have a comeback.
2. Every time someone make too much sense, some nonsense troll will come along to stir crap up, so after a while I can't be bothered too much to give full, complete and intelligent posts on UG anymore until the trolls simmer down.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Not to change the subject, but is the Tubemeister 18 out in the US yet? Ive looked for it but cant find any for sell yet.