I wasn't sure where this should be discussed since it falls under music, and instruments, but not guitar. I decided I'd like to own a good-great keyboard for recording and performing, and I'm particularly attracted to accurate vintage sounds. I like the warmth and tone of analog equipment, and I don't mind paying a bit to get higher end approximations. I don't know enough about differences in price range to make a firm decision, but I've been looking at buying a Korg SV-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9K8IaBxQuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTY7UrgXDc&feature=related

I was also looking at the Nord Electro 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIf7dSp-xB0&feature=related

I'm only really interested in vintage sounds, mainly a reliable Rhodes sound. Am I better saving my money and getting something a lot cheaper? I'm not a professional musician or anything.
Buy something cheap so that you first learn to play, because you might STOP trying to learn an instrument.
Here's some advice: go to the keyboard for--

..oh.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Zeletros
Buy something cheap so that you first learn to play, because you might STOP trying to learn an instrument.

Cheap keyboards sound like shit.

Save your money TS for a good keyboard, preferaby one you can use MIDI with (via usb or MIDI output) because THEN you can be introduced to the wonderful world of VSTs and virtual instruments which you can use your computer to make funky sounds.

The cheaper you go, the less detail the keyboard will produce and it'll sound like a sound sampler, rather than an instrument.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Would it help if I grew a creepy Chick Corea mustache?

I actually have a Yamaha Digital Grand that's MIDI capable. I've also been using a Korg Nanopad, and VSTs for awhile, and you're right; cheap sounds cheap. I might not know enough about the hardware aspects, but I have an idea of the sound I want. For a Rhodes sound, I usually use a free VST and run it through some amp and effect models (chorus, vibrato, flange) in Amplitube, and it's somewhat decent. But I want as close to the real thing as possible.

I get the feeling some people thought my parents were offering to buy me my first instrument...
Last edited by Iommianity at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
Cheap keyboards sound like shit.

Save your money TS for a good keyboard, preferaby one you can use MIDI with (via usb or MIDI output) because THEN you can be introduced to the wonderful world of VSTs and virtual instruments which you can use your computer to make funky sounds.

The cheaper you go, the less detail the keyboard will produce and it'll sound like a sound sampler, rather than an instrument.

Don't you think your message is a bit... hypocritical?
I've seen and heard some pretty good VSTs, but they weren't anywhere close to free, and suck up a lot of processing power and space for samples.