Page 1 of 2
When playing high up they fret-board on the bass i find it awkward/impossible when standing unless the strap is really high/small.

I just don't get how so many players can play so ridiculously low and still mange to reach the top frets.

Anyway do u think it looks odd to play the bass/guitar high up?
Some dudes rock it.

Tom Morello rocks it fo sho.

I have mine quite high. I can't play it at all if it's low.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Just make it comfortable for you. I have mine around my hip and it's fine for me.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
No, just wear it where it's comfortable and you can hit all the notes...having your guitar hit your chin looks better than it knocking your knees
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by alexgepgepgep
No, I wear my strap high. I think it should be the same height it would be if you were sitting.

yeah this what i feel it needs to be to play properly.
no, it makes you look pr0g metal with your non prescription Weezer glasses and moccasin shoes.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wearing it high makes you look like a Yuppy wannabe. You don't want that, do you, TS? HUH?!

yeah but doesn't it effect you're playing?
Who cares? I'd rather play better than not look as "badass" as I would ideally want to be.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Kamikaze1014
no, it makes you look pr0g metal with your non prescription Weezer glasses and moccasin shoes.

lol
playing well and jumping around like a monkey on crack should always come before looks when it comes to playing music.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
playing well and jumping around like a monkey on crack should always come before looks when it comes to playing music.
Exactly.
Put it where you like it the most (someone insert thats what she said joke) I find sometimes I need to bring my guitar up, usually when chords have far spaced fingering say a finger on the second fret and another on the fifth. Other then that I usually keep it slung low I feel less fatigue in my left arm after long sessions of playing or wanking.
No, it doesn't look stupid. That's where I play my bass (not chin high anymore, but I can't stand it when the strap is low).
pinga
It makes you look like more prog/jazz if you keep it high. I don't like low players.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
It's personal preference. What's comfortable for one person isn't necessarily going to work for another.

On stage you're a performer and that means looking the part. For some of said parts wearing your bass at about your belt buckle area or lower is generally accepted as "cool". So do it. Not like you need to access the higher frets anyways.

As for looks, wearing the bass up in your armpits looks silly in my eyes. How can somebody be relaxed with the strap choking them and their arm all mangled in some weird twisted position to play? I dunno, for me I like being relaxed and that means having my bass in a position where the pups are at my belt buckle because my arm is relaxed hanging that low.
Quote by BlackVoid
Not like you need to access the higher frets anyways..

Says who
pinga
Who cares? If it makes you play better I'd assume it serves a purpose. But for those who play the guitar to look badass and get girls I'd assume yes. I'm glad they don't play the music I like.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Originally posted by Johnny Genzale
I'm glad they don't play the music I like.

Surely the whole Johnny Thunders/NY punk thing was about looked badass and getting girls?
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
Quote by jimmydvn
Surely the whole Johnny Thunders/NY punk thing was about looked badass and getting girls?

Partly yes. But I don't like New York Dolls. They are just posers. And did very dull music.
Originally Posted by JohnnyGenzale
Partly yes. But I don't like New York Dolls. They are just posers. And did very dull music.

Must... resist... lolwut pear..
Quote by jimmydvn
Must... resist... lolwut pear..

What? I love Johnny Thunders. But find New York Dolls very dull.
I think it's cool, just look at Tom Morello or The Beatles. You can't tell me they aren't cool.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

You're a terrible person.
Originally Posted by Johnny Genzale

Fair enough, So Alone is incredible. But his solo work was pretty similar to the NYDs surely?
I think only indie bands can do it, but it still looks stupid....but so does having it low.

I have mine at around my whole dick area. (meaning the strings are at dick level and the body around belly button level)
Adjust it to the point like it would be if you were sitting then lowered it slightly so its about two or so inches lower. This way there is a distinct difference between sitting and standing but it doesnt necessarily inhibit your technique. You can also lower you strap progressively and get use to playing lower over time.

But to answer your OP, yes it does look stupid.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Page 1 of 2