So finally after a long time of waiting the M-audio fast track audio interface was finally on sale at best buy for $100. I got it yesterday.

Yesterday I installed it, started messing around with it, and everything was going fine. Then today I turn on my laptop, and my laptop doesn't respond. It turns on, but only one light out of the 5 or so turns on, and is green. Nothing else happens, nothing on the screen, nothing.

So I told my dad, and then he starts saying how the interface caused this. Being clueless as he is at computers, he blames it on the interface, and now he's making me return it. So I try to convince him that it's probably just a coincidence. Nope, still thinks its the interface. So he calls a few technicians, and tells them what happens. Surprisingly, as soon as he mentions the audio interface, they all blame it on the interface as well. At best buy, even the technicians there say the same thing (although I don't trust the guys there at all).

Anyways, he returned the interface.

My question is, could it have really been the interface that caused all of this, or a coincidence?

I'm probably going to call M-audio and ask as well, but I doubt my dad will change his mind.
an audio interface isnt going to cause your computer to not startup

does it do anything at all?

can you start in in safe mode?
I don't know how the interface could have done it. Even doing something stupid like running the speaker out from the amp into it would only damage the interface, not the computer. Bad drivers would again, only effect the interface. It's not like you're sending dangerous unbalanced signals, its a simple usb connection.

Without more info on the computer I can only speculate, but to my knowledge, the interface couldn't possibly have damaged the computer.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Nope, it doesn't get past the BIOS menu at all.

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone, but even the technicians are saying something about laptops not being able to handle all of that processing, which caused the laptop to overheat and something to break. It makes sense, but really, would it cause the laptop to break to this extent, and would that even be possible?

EDIT: I also didn't do anything stupid. I did everything according to the instructions. I just don't see how anything could have gone through the usb into the laptop, and caused any damage.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Sep 1, 2011,
Geek Squad is a joke, dude. There is absolutely nothing the interface could have done to ruin your BIOS, RAM, CPU, or motherboard. What you probably need to try is taking out each RAM module, and trying it with one at a time in each slot, and then with both in, switched around each way possible. Take notes.

Usually when a computer does that, it's the RAM/CPU/Motherboard. Testing the RAM could either resolve the issue or eliminate it as the problem (unless of course both modules are bad, which is why you would want to try them in another computer.)

This thread is plenty of evidence that the interface is not the issue, I have 3.5+ years of experience with computer repair and IT support, I'm sure the other guys here know what they are talking about as well.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by muso_catolico at Sep 1, 2011,
So where does your laptop get to when attempting to boot? You 110% positive you didn't do anything to **** it up the last time you used it? Need more details bro

But yea, if it was the fast track (highly unlikely) it would of just stopped working there and then.

As always, failed hdd/ram/mobo are possible suspects

You got a windows cd?
sorry didn't read you're whole post but i did read up to the part where your pc doesn't start up.
try unplugging all usb extras and just pretty much have nothing but the power plug plugged in.
then start it up and it should work.
thats what i did when my mic was messing with my pc and it worked.
sorry if this is useless.
NEW SIGNATURE!
my alesis firewire 8 used to make my pc bluescreen when using windows 7, but worked fine in xp

*shrugs*

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
It wasn't the interface. See if you can boot from a linux live CD, and if it can your problem is not hardware, it's your HDD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Installing the interface didn't break anything. Chances are the HDD simply glitched up or failed at the same time you booted up. HDDs don't last forever and this is why I copy my data to 3 different places at all times.

I agree with the above post, rule out the OS being messed up by booting to a linux CD, you can get Ubuntu for free from their site.

Anyways, you can try and find a computer shop around the area that has a copy of a program known as Spinrite....or you can buy it for $90 yourself, I did...but I repair computers often.

Also, if the data is backed up or unimportant to you, you can simply buy a new HDD and reinstall windows starting from scratch.

Both are quit a pain to do but usually these will fix the issue.

Spinrite:
http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

Steve Gibson really does some great work and Spinrite is one of those programs that has saved my but many times in the past, as expensive as it is, I highly suggest buying it if you plan on saving HDDs.
Quote by oneblackened
See if you can boot from a linux live CD, and if it can your problem is not hardware, it's your HDD.

Quote by moody07747
Chances are the HDD simply glitched up or failed at the same time you booted up.
Computers are supposed to make it through the BIOS whether or not a hard drive is even installed.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by muso_catolico
Computers are supposed to make it through the BIOS whether or not a hard drive is even installed.

and from what I understand, it does! It sounds to me like it posts fine.

EDIT: On second reading, I think your mobo shat the bed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 2, 2011,
...sounds like a great time to go out and buy a Macbook Pro! LOL

Really though, Mac and PC are same to me....I tend to crash both just about equally....but I always tend to go back to PC at home.
I had something similar when i installed a PCI lan adapter into my desktop PC.
it didnt turn on at all. i heard all the fans, saw all the LEDs but nothing on the monitor. i swapped the RAM after some research and all and it turned on! tho i already had the PCI out

ima put it on again tomorrow, any advice btw?