I've been meaning to get me a PRS to experiment with my friend's philosphy who insists on owning just one guitar.

Only problem is I'm a sucker for a Strat blues sound But Also a fat beefy Gibsonish sound. I'm thinking a PRS custom 24 could give me the closest of both worlds. no?

There are no local shops that carry the PRS standard series but one that has the SE line in stock. So my question is, do the SE models have the same necks as the standards? So if I like the neck on the SE I can order a standard?

Also, what would give me a more stratty sound, a custom 22 or a custom 24?

Thanks.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
both the 22 and the 24 will pretty much sound the same tbh,

get it coil tapped, that will make it sound more "stratty"
you would have to modify the SE CU22 or CU24 to get those tones.

they don't do the series/parallel or coil taps like the USA prs models.

they did make a SE EG guitar, which is like a set neck strat configuration, but you would have to look used. i'd personally avoid the early SE guitars.

can you see if a used CE22 would be in budget on the bay? they run for a bit more than a new SE and would do what you want very well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 1, 2011,
I was under the impression it had a coil tapping option? Or has that changed?

I also thought the Custom 24 would push the neck pickup towards the bridge because of the extra frets, am I wrong?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
I'm not looking for a SE, I only meant that's the only PRS I could try out to see if I like the neck, and then order a standard version.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
I'm not looking for a SE, I only meant that's the only PRS I could try out to see if I like the neck, and then order a standard version.

oh. ok.

well with the newer pick ups in the USA CU 24 guitars, which are more vintage than the previous HFS/BASS, yes.

you could certainly pull off what you are looking to do.

but, you have to compare "standard" neck profiles, as the USA CU24 now comes with the standard neck carve.

so compare it to a SE with the standard neck carve.
alright, I 'll make sure of that. But can you coil tap on the new Usa made models?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
it allows you to mix a bucker with a single. so it's a passable strat tone. i'm sure there are demo's available online, i have not searched them out.

i'm ok with having more than one guitar to cover multiple tones, but i respect your desire for a single guitar to do both. (been down that road myself).
I hear ya thanks for the replies.

Quick question: are the 2011 models as versatile as this (08?) one here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8VNOwu0KM

Cause that right there is amazing! He does some coil tapping there, not sure if it's only mixing a bucker with a single like you talked about though.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
yea that's what i have. (mine is a bit older but the same pups/wiring).

that's in paul's studio above his garage in MD, i've not seen that video before. that's cool.

i'm sure there are demo's of the new ones to compare to. i just haven't searched them out.

try searching 2011 Custom 24 demo.
Quote by gregs1020
it allows you to mix a bucker with a single. so it's a passable strat tone. i'm sure there are demo's available online, i have not searched them out.

i'm ok with having more than one guitar to cover multiple tones, but i respect your desire for a single guitar to do both. (been down that road myself).

if you want that blues strat tone, i would recommend trying the prs nf3. it has 3 narrowfields (mini humbuckers), with a 5-way switch. it gets that blues tone your talking about pretty well, if i didn't get my custom 24 when i did, my other contender was the nf3. its a sweat guitar.
Quote by 00_hns_00
if you want that blues strat tone, i would recommend trying the prs nf3. it has 3 narrowfields (mini humbuckers), with a 5-way switch. it gets that blues tone your talking about pretty well, if i didn't get my custom 24 when i did, my other contender was the nf3. its a sweat guitar.

err. i'm not looking for a guitar. the TS is.

hey can you do a demo of your new 24 doing stratty tones for the TS?

i quite liked the NF3 but i don't think it did a LP tone as well as the new CU24 like yours.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 1, 2011,
yeah do a demo that'd be a female's chest section!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
i don't have a camera with video, umm, i'll try seeing if i can find someone with one, but i don't know many people :/ lol.

i think the narrowfield did fine for the lp tone, it just lacked some of the darkness in lp's (which i'm not very fond of so....)
Yeah, I think the Studio model suggested above is a good pick - two narrowfields and one more regular humbucker.

The 513 model would also seem to offer a lot of tone options, with an HSH arrangement.

The DC3 and 305 are the current PRS model that are most strat-like, with three single-coils and a maple neck/fretboard, whereas the NF3 is using three narrowfield pups. The narrowfield is strictly speaking a humbucker, but designed to have a single-coil tone (just with less noise). So the NF3 is still going to be pretty strat-like (and also has a maple neck/fretboard.
Last edited by rschleicher at Sep 2, 2011,
studio sounds really nice too. man this is a pretty tough choice
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
My Custom 24 is only the SE version but it's astonishingly versatile and the American version is even better (as it should be for the price). I can't say I personally see another £1800 in the USA version but if you have the money, it'll be one hell of a guitar. I spent about £1000 on my Jackson including the new pickups and the PRS only cost £350 used but if I could only have one guitar to do everything, it would be my Custom 24 without a doubt.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Well the 305, 513 and the Dc3 are out of question because they don't offer the thin neck option. I played a few SE version yesterday, they all had the regular neck and I do NOT like that neck.

It's gonna be a Thin neck for me.

What guitar I'm not sure. But the Studio is ahead of the race now, I'm pretty sure it can be a little strattier than the custom 24, right?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Last edited by drying out at Sep 3, 2011,
I thought you said there was an SE version of the Custom 24 where you lived? That has the wide thin neck and while it may not be exactly the same as on the American version, a friend of mine has played both and he tells me there's not much difference at all. It's certainly not much thicker than my Jackson, if at all and I don't get the impression it's any thicker than a Strat neck either. If you need anything noticeably thinner you need to look at an Ibanez. In my experience, the difference with the PRS neck compared to my Jackson is more width than thickness but it doesn't take long to get used to it.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I thought you said there was an SE version of the Custom 24 where you lived? That has the wide thin neck and while it may not be exactly the same as on the American version, a friend of mine has played both and he tells me there's not much difference at all. It's certainly not much thicker than my Jackson, if at all and I don't get the impression it's any thicker than a Strat neck either. If you need anything noticeably thinner you need to look at an Ibanez. In my experience, the difference with the PRS neck compared to my Jackson is more width than thickness but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

I never said a SE Custom 24. Just a few SE versions and they all had the wide fat nick(stupid dealer). So I still haven't tried the wide thin neck.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Ah, my apologies, I obviously read the original post wrong. I honestly don't think you'd have a problem with it. I see you use an ESP Eclipse and I seem to recall that feeling similar to my Jackson and I switch between that and my PRS just fine. You also have a Strat and if that is using a C shaped neck, you should also find the transition to the PRS easy enough. You tend to notice the extra width in the PRS neck the closer you are to the headstock but the more you move towards the body of the guitar, the more it just feels like a normal neck. Most guitar necks get noticeably wider as you move towards the body but PRS prefer a little more consistency in width as you move along the neck. I have the Jackso and the PRS now and I move between the seamlessly. The guitar I used for about 5 years before that was an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck so I'm used to thin necks and honestly, the PRS wide thin is fantastic.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
No worries!

That sounds good! My Strat is a modern C shape and I love it.

But when you talk about extra width the closer you get to the headstock, are you referring to the depth? Cause to my knowledge the width is the same as on my Strat and Eclipse (1 11/16").
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
It's gonna be a Thin neck for me.

then you probably should try a studio but i understand that may not possible for you.

they have the pattern thin or pattern neck. so both options are available on that guitar.

the older custom 24s have a wide thin, the new ones have a standard.

some people don't find that much difference between them, but it's a preference thing so you may.