Page 1 of 2
Ok L. Ron Hubbard is a genius or he was a real disturbed man...I putting my money on genius but lets see what the Pit thinks.

So I recently came upon some information about Scientology. I had never really put much attention on this until a few days ago...so I decided to do some of my own investigating. I could not believe what I had just read. Upon reading what Scientology is about It felt as though I was in-visioning a bad 1970's cartoon or comic book where the most one could get out of it was a couple of laughs and never give it a second thought. With an evil warlord name Xemu paralyzing his citizens and dumping them into the Earths...I mean Teegeeak's (scientology speak for Earth) volcano's then detonating hundreds of Hydrogen bombs simultaneously...do I need to continue? It reads like a screen play I literally had to remind myself what I was reading was in fact a "religion". My jaw dropped when I learned that it is basically a pay as you go religion...the more you pay the higher level you become...YES THERE ARE LEVEL'S IN THIS RELIGION. Each level is reviled to certain information about their "religion" the more you pay the more you know.

Honestly I do not get it...how can someone call this 1970's screenplay their "religion"?!?!?!?!?!
The only thing I know about Scientology is from what I saw from that episode of South Park.

Once you have some number of people believing it, it is classified as a religion.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by StewieSwan
Apostrophes do not make words plural!

Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by TUXGUITAR
I putting my money on genius but lets see what the Pit thinks
That's how Scientology works.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by StewieSwan

3 times he did it. Not every time. Although he still needs telling
Quote by StewieSwan

not the best at grammar sorry.
Because most scientologists aren't going to get to that level, and most of them are going to believe in something that's at least somewhat reasonable. Go to a church and ask them what they believe.

Though, to be honest... most of the stuff in scientology is ripped off from other people. From Freud to Buddhism. But then they are told that Freud was wrong so people don't realize that they're being ripped off.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by rock.freak667
The only thing I know about Scientology is from what I saw from that episode of South Park.

Once you have some number of people believing it, it is classified as a religion.

I believe Paris is in France. Do you?
Quote by TUXGUITAR

not the best at grammar sorry.

That's punctuation, bro.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The way the payment works is that the services they give you are going to cost you money. The services are meant to make you more clear, which means your thetan (you) operates more freely. It's not like you can walk in there, hand them 300K and all of a sudden be a member of OT-3. They believe that if you're told something before you're ready, you will die.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by TUXGUITAR

Are you facepalming at me or at yourself?

Because I really hope you're doing it to me.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Jack Off Jill
The way the payment works is that the services they give you are going to cost you money. The services are meant to make you more clear, which means your thetan (you) operates more freely. It's not like you can walk in there, hand them 300K and all of a sudden be a member of OT-3. They believe that if you're told something before you're ready, you will die.

That explains why I'm dead then.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Are you facepalming at me or at yourself?

Because I really hope you're doing it to me.

why would the facepalm be directed towards you?? :P
I think it is retarded but if you want to believe in it then that's up to you.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Why do I think Scientology is stupid?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by TUXGUITAR
why would the facepalm be directed towards you?? :P

Because you made no clarification and it wasn't obvious, to me at least.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Because you made no clarification and it wasn't obvious, to me at least.

I screwed up my apostrophes, thought it was my bad grammar that turns out to be punctuation :P faceplam to myself haha
This for some reason reminds me of a UG classic. Anyone remember when a user posted his gripping scene play that took him more than two years to write. It had it all capture, torture and escape!

Does anyone else remember that?
Quote by captaincrunk
No, the second part.

Freedom of religion, it's a cool thing. Unless they are partaking in ritualistic human sacrifice or child abuse or what have you, I have no real beef (probably other reasons that I can't think of). From what I understand most Scientologists are wealthy people anyway.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Freedom of religion, it's a cool thing. Unless they are partaking in ritualistic human sacrifice or child abuse or what have you, I have no real beef (probably other reasons that I can't think of). From what I understand most Scientologists are wealthy people anyway.

Yeah but it's not like they can just choose to believe something. So I don't get the "what they want to believe" kind of thing.
Quote by captaincrunk
Yeah but it's not like they can just choose to believe something. So I don't get the "what they want to believe" kind of thing.

That is true, which is why (probably redundant to explain to a philosophy student but whatever) Pascal's wager theory is flawed, you can't just say "I believe this" and magically believe in it. I think a lot of celebrities do it to be fashionable. I'm sure there are people who really do believe it. And if they do, as delusional as it seems, that's okay.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
That is true, which is why (probably redundant to explain to a philosophy student but whatever) Pascal's wager theory is flawed, you can't just say "I believe this" and magically believe in it. I think a lot of celebrities do it to be fashionable. I'm sure there are people who really do believe it. And if they do, as delusional as it seems, that's okay.

I think it's actually pretty profitable to be a Scientologist in Hollywood. DEM CONNECTIONS.
True, never thought of that.

I just don't get how you could believe it. I mean, it's one thing to believe in the main religions, when they started most people viewed the world in a mystical way, and have been passed down for millenia. Plus a lot of Christians and other religious people would acknowledge that a lot of stuff about their religion (creation myth, trinitarianism) doesn't really make since and reconcile their beliefs with science. But Scientology, it was created a few decades ago, people by now you think would know better. Especially since it is called SCIENtology and there is no scientific explanation or basis for any of it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
True, never thought of that.

I just don't get how you could believe it. I mean, it's one thing to believe in the main religions, when they started most people viewed the world in a mystical way, and have been passed down for millenia. Plus a lot of Christians and other religious people would acknowledge that a lot of stuff about their religion (creation myth, trinitarianism) doesn't really make since and reconcile their beliefs with science. But Scientology, it was created a few decades ago, people by now you think would know better. Especially since it is called SCIENtology and there is no scientific explanation or basis for any of it.

I saw an interview with someone who rose up to the highest levels before quitting, and he said that he never really believed the whole Xenu thing, but he accepted it. By this time, you'd have sunk enormous amounts of time and money into learning more, you'd have been made to disconnect from any family or friends who've shown disapproval or skepticism, you'd practically live entirely inside the Church of Scientology. Peer pressure alone would make you want to accept it.

And by then your idea of normality would be skewed. Apparently this is the sort of thing that makes any cult work, the Church of Scientology is just set apart from the others because it has very funny beliefs.

EDIT: And regarding people knowing better, it's designed to appeal to vulnerable people, or people at difficult points in their lives. The personality tests are manipulative as shit, and the first few levels use a bunch of psychological tricks and bastardised psychoanalysis to make it seem like something is working.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 1, 2011,
It's the ultimate sci-fi story.
He knew how good of a writer he was.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

How is scientology different from 'main' religions?

Christianity is just based of a book as well.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I found myself laughing at this. In all reality this is no more far fetched than the main religions, even though I consider myself a Christian, I realize that there is some pretty crazy sounding shit involved. The only difference between the two I can really see is that the tithes Christians are supposed to give wouldnt bleed the average man dry like Scientology would.
Quote by OliOsbourne
How is scientology different from 'main' religions?

Christianity is just based of a book as well.

The fact that we know who wrote this scifi religion. He was alive in our time, and you can read other pieces of his work.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by TUXGUITAR
Ok,* either* L. Ron Hubbard is a genius or he was a really* disturbed man.* I'm* putting my money on genius, but let's see what the Pit thinks.

I recently came upon some information about Scientology. I had never really given this much attention* until a few days ago, so I decided to do some investigating*. I could not believe what I read*. Upon reading what Scientology is about it felt as though I was envisioning* a bad 1970s* cartoon or comic book where the most one could get out of it was a couple of laughs and never give it a second thought.* With an evil warlord named* Xemu paralyzing his citizens and dumping them into the Earth's*,* I mean Teegeeak's (scientology speak for Earth), volcanoes* then detonating hundreds of Hydrogen bombs simultaneously.* Do I need to continue? It reads like a screen play.* I literally had to remind myself that* what I was reading was in fact a religion.* My jaw dropped when I learned that it is basically a pay as you go religion, and* the more you pay the higher level you become.* YES,* THERE ARE LEVEL'S IN THIS RELIGION!* Each level is reviled* to certain information about their religion*, and the more you pay the more you know.

Honestly, I do not get it. How can someone call this 1970s* screenplay their religion!?*

*A comma is needed after interjections.
*Either was just needed here. I'm not sure why, I just know it is.
*Real is an adjective, and you needed an adverb there to describe how he was disturbed.
*Ellipsis marks, the little dot dot dot thing, are to be used for omissions of text, not when you feel like using them, and certainly not in lieu of commas or periods.
*You need a subject and linking verb there.
*"I had never really put much attention on this," makes you sound stupid. It's an overly complicated sentence, and it just sounds really weird to read.
*Once again, you clutter the sentence with useless words to make yourself sound intelligent. First, you throw prepositional phrases around wildly as if they're play things, and then you're using ellipsis marks willy-nilly, and then you find yourself using inverted commas to show something is plural. Pure madness, sir. Pure madness.Also, the phrase, "...some of my own investigating," implies that someone else investigated it and told you their results which is either false or irrelevant.
*Another overwrought phrase that has you all over the place when there are much simpler ways to say what you want to say.
*You improperly spelled envisioning wrong, and you're usage only fits the definition of the word. For future reference, the common connotation of envisioning is that it's something new that you are imagining, not something someone else did that you are picturing in your head.
*I see where you're coming from with that apostrophe, it is a common way to use, and I myself have done it, but I'm just not sure it's correct.
*Another phrase that is far too complicated, but I'm not sure how to fix it. There's nothing too grammatically offensive there at least.
*I'd like to think that this is a simple mistake because everyone knows how past and present tense works, but with you I don't know.
*Earth is possessive in this place. There aren't multiple Earths. There's just one and it possesses the volcanoes.
*Clauses separate dependent clauses. Ellipsis marks do not.
*APOSTROPHES DO NOT MAKE SOMETHING PLURAL.
*That statement is done. You should slap a period on it, and then move on with your question. Also capitalize, but since I was the one who put the period in, that won't get its own asterisk.
*No period = run-on sentence
*You need a 'that' to separate the two clauses.
*http://thingsmycathates.tumblr.com/post/8506431870/quotationmarks
*OH MY ****ING GOD, WHAT'S WITH THE ELLIPSIS MARKS!? DO YOU WANT ME TO SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK YOU, BECAUSE GOD DAMMIT I WILL SCHOOL HOUSE ****ING ROCK YOU.
*TWICE IN ONE SENTENCE? REALLY? I didn't want to have to do this, but you've forced my hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo
*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHpJ45_zwM
*Exclamation marks go after sentences with a lot of emotion.
*Reviled means, "to subject to verbal abuse." I'm not sure what word you were going for here, but it shouldn't have been reviled. Perhaps you meant revealed, but that's still not 100% correct. Or maybe you did mean reviled in that they were told certain information and you find that information stupid. Any way you slice it though, you're wrong. Though with that last one, at least the prepositional phrase following makes sense.
*http://thingsmycathates.tumblr.com/post/8506431870/quotationmarks
*CONJUNCTION JUNCTION, WHAT'S YOUR FUNCTION? HOOKIN' UP WORDS AND PHRASES AND CLAUSES.
*INTERJECTIONS BITCH! THEY WORK LIKE THAT! Actually, with an adverb it may not be an interjection, but if it isn't I don't know the correct term.
*I'm going to find you and punch three times for every time you improperly use ellipsis marks.
*I've been over that one.
*Once again, quotation marks. Also, the overuse of punctuation doesn't make up for your previous lack of it. In fact, it makes it worse.

Can I just do this instead of English homework?

TL;DR TS's grammar is shit.
Quote by SKArface McDank
The fact that we know who wrote this scifi religion.

Just because we don't know who wrote the bible doesn't mean that there was no author.
He was alive in our time

So in a couple of generations, Scientology can be considered a 'serious' religion?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Page 1 of 2