I was restringing my hellraiser and the nut came off, is it ok to try to just have the pressure of the strings hold it in place? Or do I need to have it repaired?
Just super glue it and make sure that you position the nut right its not that hard. Just Make sure that htere isn't any space around the nut and then if there is sand or file off the old glue. Simple.
Yes. They're all cheap..... unless they mention a specific nut on the website like graphtech, or earvana.
Lance Armstrong
Quote by christfudge
Joe Satriani + Kirk Hammett = Joe Satriani

Quote by Vornik
I got really drunk, dropped some acid and found myself about 12 feet away from a black bear. Though you should know.
Usually all you have to do is super glue it back in place. That happened to my Talman a few years ago, glues it back on and now there are no problems.

You could get a new nut if you wanted (graphtech makes some nice ones) but most of the time that requires filing the nut slots to the correct size and then cutting/shimming the nut to fit.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
white glue it back on.

dont superglue it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
My older schecter..[hellraiser fr when they first came out] never has this problem...but i guess thats because it came with a legit ofr...not the ones they come with now.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
My older schecter..[hellraiser fr when they first came out] never has this problem...but i guess thats because it came with a legit ofr...not the ones they come with now.

ok well that's got nothing to do with this thread, so don't try to sell your guitar while pretending to help, ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Super glue it??? Why do you people have an Internet connection?

Don't super glue it! Use weak glue, just enough to hold it in place, the pressure of the strings will do the rest.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius

Don't super glue it! Use weak glue, just enough to hold it in place, the pressure of the strings will do the rest.

mad marius no need to be so mad about it.

i already said white glue, it's been addressed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
mad marius no need to be so mad about it.

i already said white glue, it's been addressed.

Gotta live up to the username, right?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Gotta live up to the username, right?

tru dat.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Mad Marius

This. Even wood glue will do. If you ever have to take the nut off for replacement, that shit will never come off.

Also, glue it on and let it dry for some time. Don't start putting strings back on as the tension of the wound strings will just pull the nut off and you'll have to basically fight to keep it on just right. Just let it dry a good 10 minutes and it'll be good to go. And don't over-do the glue. Have Q-tips and a soft cloth to clean up any excess glue.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I'm 23 years old, the title of this thread shouldn't make me laugh. And yet...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Quote by Wakko444
Lance Armstrong

You are terrible.

Super glue the nut back in place, and make sure that it's set correctly
You can leave the nut as is, just line it up center, and the string pressure will keep it on there, just, any really good bends, or if it gets knocked around will throw it off center, but no biggy.

I'd just glue it down with carpenters glue, works great.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
is that sloppy nut comon to every schecter? my omen 6 did that too.

A loose nut is not necessarily a sign of poor craftsmanship. It is better to have a nut with not enough glue that can be popped back into place than it is to have one that cannot be removed without a screwdriver and a hammer. And if the nut was installed in higher humidity than the local humidity the slot may have been a lot tighter to begin with.