I'm wiring some DiMarzio pickups into this project of mine, hit a bit of a wall when I reached the capacitor part. I understand it's a matter of taste, and how many mFds the capacitor has will affect the rate at which treble is cut. DiMarzio recommended me a .022 mFd capacitor, but I understand there's also different types of capacitors. Which ones do what/are best?

Myself, I have two spare capacitors from the old electronics, they are green squarish blobs with 2A223K written on them, which, I suppose, means they have .022 mFd. Or am I assuming wrong?

I've read somewhere else that we should use orange drop capacitors for guitars (or whatever they're called) but it worked with the green goo...

Any help for a beginner?
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Basically, any type of capacitor works. Many people say that poly' caps are the best "for tone" - whatever that might mean, but when it comes to a double blind test - those bunch of guys quickly disappears.

So pick anything from 8 to 47nF and try it out.

223 means 22*10^3pF

1nF = 1000pF
1uF = 1000nF
i would use the recommended capacitors just because the pickups are designed to be used with them. but, a capacitor stores electrical energy to regulate the flow. the smaller the capacitance, the less good they do, so i would try a larger one. but i would also recommend using the orange style ceramic caps because some of them have really long leads, which helps with the installation as long as you keep the unshielded ground that's on the pickups away from the leads of the caps. those little green disk capacitors are small and somewhat hard to install. i had one of my ibanez and it was grounded to the tone pot, but when i followed Seymour duncans schematics and used the recommended cap, the tone changed completely for the better. so try the recommended and see if you like it then go from there.
Quote by Grassyknolls
i would use the recommended capacitors just because the pickups are designed to be used with them. but, a capacitor stores electrical energy to regulate the flow. the smaller the capacitance, the less good they do...

What "good" are we talking about? The bigger the capacitance - the lower the frequencies it will short to the ground so they don't make it into the amp.

Capacitor in a guitar forms a low-pass filter which has a so-called rolloff frequency - the frequency at which the filter starts to attenuate energy. The bigger the cap the lower the frequency at which the tone pot starts to take effect.
Thanks a lot for the replies. Now, off to find somewhere to buy some of those :P
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
i like ceramic caps the most. and i've done blind tests to find that out for sure.

there's a vintagey/gritty edge to the tone, and at the same time it also has some creamyness.
My favorite LP has the tone pot bypassed, straight to the switch, with an ANCIENT Seymour JB model (back when he was doing these by order only) for the bridge pickup. Supposedly, paper in oil caps are the best, but I agree with 00 hns 00, ceramic ones really do have that kind of tone. It also makes a difference in how you wire it. I looked up wiring for an LP jr, and got 2 different ways, but this is what I got, and now I do everything like this. I also like the .047 caps. If you go 22-47, you are in the ballpark, and you might like something else better. If you use this wiring, it's easier to change.
Attachments:
50sWiringJunior.jpg
"Life's too short for bad tone"-Rev. Billy Gibbons
Can you use electrolytic capacitors for guitar tone pots? That's all they sell at the local electronics store near my place.
as far as i'm aware, yes, but its a rule of thumb to stay betwen .022 and .047 uf just so you know.

but it doesn't cost much to get ceramic caps. they sell for like 3 bucks for a pack of 10.
Yes you can, the type of capacitor doesn't make any noticeable difference on the tone.
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
Quote by rickygarcia90
Yes you can, the type of capacitor doesn't make any noticeable difference on the tone.

It might be a little difficult to find electrolytic caps smaller than 1uF...

I don't believe in the super awesome $50 caps inside guitars, I just use generic made in Thailand (or somewher in south east Asia) green blob capacitors. I am a fan of .047uF in strats, and .022uF in humbucker equipped guitars.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard