Hey everyone, it's been a while since I was last here, my bass is dusty and my fingers are rusty but I'm going to try playing with a band and see how that goes. They're country, apparently just starting off doing covers of pop country like Taylor Swift, Brad Paisley, The Band Perry, Luke Perry, etc...

The thing is, I've never really played bass on a serious, regimented basis with a group. I usually just practiced a few basslines from what I listened to and improv'd the rest in the privacy of my own room (so melody, timing, etc... weren't really all that important since I was just playing for fun). I don't know when we're getting started with our first jam, but does anyone have some pointers or basics I should get started learning?

I mostly listen to rock, punk, a bit of folk, and have a basic sense of rhythm, but chord structures and theory stuff are like greek to me. I've read a key part of classic country bass is playing 5ths and roots, but think I only have a vague understanding of it. Can you guys offer any help, advice, or resources?

Thanks
Quote by Trickycindy
You're a f*cking wanker.

Quote by JC13
@Prole... Magnificent...

Quote by ZanasCross
Thanks sir. Unbanned.
Roots and 5ths are really it, they usually work best one after the other in half notes following the chords.
Another thing that works to change it up are passing notes between chords, such as going from say D to G, sticking an F# inbetween adds some.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Degitech BP-80
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
DOD FX91 OD
Traynor Dynabass 200
This is all I have to say about pop country.

OT:
If they're just doing covers for now, you can just learn the songs they're covering and then apply what you learn to originals later.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Sep 1, 2011,
yea, learn the covers and watch what the bass does.

but mostly its the root 5 approach.
root, 5, root, 5, root ,5 lol

country the bass isnt aloud to step out of that box all that much

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Country 2, which is the 5th as youve said, and walking bass lines, mostly based around major and blues scales IIRC, very simple stuff, few runs here and there. Wear a cowboy hat.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
You're trippin' man. Hank 3 is awesome.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Dotted quarter, eighth.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
The root fifth technique is really dated for country. Some bands who stick to that old groove will still use it but many modern country bassists have changed with the times and do more of a pop-rock style line with basically straight eighths/quarters on the root with a passing-tone between chords. Still really simple though. And the more comfortable you get with the charts the more you can improvise on it

And when the song deems it suitable you can use a swing bass line (walking) which like was mentioned above will either be a major scale if on a major chord or minor pentatonic for a minor chord.
Quote by gilly_90
You're trippin' man. Hank 3 is awesome.

Your keyboard appears to be acting up, or you just hit the wrong key, we know you meant Hank 2.
Quote by Bulldoxide
Your keyboard appears to be acting up, or you just hit the wrong key, we know you meant Hank 2.

Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid