Around a year and a half ago I got my first guitar for about $200 (a cheap Ibanez starter kit thing) that came with an amp. Now that I've been playing for a while I decided to get a new guitar, which I recently did. I got a Jackson WRMG Warrior. For a while now, though, I've also been wanting a new amp, but to be honest I don't know a huge amount about them, so I figured I'd post and ask people for thoughts or suggestions. Right now I mostly use either the small practice amp that came with my first guitar or a smallish Fender modelling amp a friend temporarily lent me.

My budget is from around $200 to $500 or a bit more if I'm willing to wait maybe 2 months. I like music from several genres, particularly several types of metal, classic rock, and blues. For preference I'd like a new amp so I can be sure it will work decently and everything, but I'd be open to a used amp. It would mostly be for practice at home or maybe with friends. I'm in a small, shitty town in KY so closest big city would be either Knoxville, TN or Lexington KY.
Any ideas would be awesome.
You might be able to find a used Peavey 6505 for that price - it's pretty versatile and can play most of the genres you do.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
A 6505 would be overkill for home practice.
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Check out the Peavey Vypyr series, there are some tube and modelling amps in it. and you can get a ton of different tones. I have the Vypyr 75W, and it's what I got after my first amp. it's plenty loud for small gigs and jamming with friends. all of the amps in the Vypyr series can imitate several famous amps, including the 6505, but can play at lower volumes than the ordinary amps
Last edited by asmithgdci at Sep 1, 2011,
Vox VT+ series?
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Roland Cube 40XL.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
used peavey jsx or ultra combo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ma_tt11
You might be able to find a used Peavey 6505 for that price - it's pretty versatile and can play most of the genres you do.

Would that be combo amp or just a head? I did a search and came up with a lot of results.
Jet City 20watt Great versatility and can be had at great prices, all tube and loud enough for both practice and small gigs.
DAS BOOT!!!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The vox vt series is superb(ly cheap)(and has a spiffy 12ax7 preamp)! Normally I think a modeling amp is a bad idea but if you're not real sure what you wanna sound like its a great way to find out. You could get a good one used, take care of it, then sell it when you know what you want and put the money towards it.
Quote by JKHC
60w is still overkill

A guy who owns an 100 watt practice amp shouldnt really be going around calling overkill on amps...

Anyways +1 to gregs.
im currently in the process of selling my Line 6 Flextone III. 75w, 1x12. enough to jam with a drummer and keep up in a band...really kick ass practice amp, and ive upgraded the speaker.....not trying to sound like im pitching something, if u want more info just reply
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by JKHC
60w is still overkill

Thats what thevmaster volume is for....
You can look at Kustom Defender amps. not expencive, versatile things, but it's better to use 'em with some distortion pedal for metal sound)
im supprised no one mentioned the orange tiny terror or vox night train
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects