Hey everyone!

I just wanted to ask for some advice- I was wondering how to get a "solid" guitar tone for when I record my songs. I mean I really want to have the same guitar tone as Children of Bodom (from their newest album Relentless Reckless Forever), but anything good sounding would be awesome. I use a Guitarport, and Gearbox. If anyone has a good tone for Gearbox could they possibly send it to me in a way, or something?

Also one more favor- if you could check out my profile and listen to my song "Turn the Volume Up" and give me some constructive criticism for the tone in that song, it would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Quote by systasis
I really want to have the same guitar tone as Children of Bodom (from their newest album Relentless Reckless Forever)

Then go and buy the same equipment they use. Problem solved. You can't have those pro tones with virtual software. You can get good tones but nowhere as good as like having ex. tube guitar head or combo.
Gear

Schecter Hellraiser C-1
ENGL Thunder 50 E322
Blackstar HT-50
Framus 2x12 Cab
Yamaha HS50M

Founder of Opeth Fans Group
Do you think if the EQ matches, that you can call it the same tone?
Gear

Schecter Hellraiser C-1
ENGL Thunder 50 E322
Blackstar HT-50
Framus 2x12 Cab
Yamaha HS50M

Founder of Opeth Fans Group
You want less gain than you'd expect and more mids than normal.

That's the basic secret to any metal recording tone.

If you're using Gearbox I'd recommend the Cali Diamond Plate then in the Speaker set up switch to the 67 Condenser and take out all the room. Maybe shove a Tubescreamer at the front. Turn gain up to around 50% and make subtle EQ changes to taste.

Quote by Hypetreme
Then go and buy the same equipment they use. Problem solved. You can't have those pro tones with virtual software. You can get good tones but nowhere as good as like having ex. tube guitar head or combo.

Ever heard of Joey Sturgis? He uses Pod Farm, and he's a big name in the metalcore production scene. He gets paid to do it; thus he is a professional.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by systasis
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to ask for some advice- I was wondering how to get a "solid" guitar tone for when I record my songs. I mean I really want to have the same guitar tone as Children of Bodom (from their newest album Relentless Reckless Forever), but anything good sounding would be awesome. I use a Guitarport, and Gearbox. If anyone has a good tone for Gearbox could they possibly send it to me in a way, or something?

Also one more favor- if you could check out my profile and listen to my song "Turn the Volume Up" and give me some constructive criticism for the tone in that song, it would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

You should take your time and experiment. Guitar tone is one of the hardest things to "Fix in the Mix"
Quote by brain-hammer
Yes !

No, you can't. If you EQ a clean tone and a distorted tone exactly the same it's NOT going to be the same tone. Stop ****ing trolling.
Quote by Sympho

Now that I'm able to take the time to watch the links you are on about, I see it does involve individual elements so it's a very nice trick... but only useful for songs where the instrument you want to mimic is playing alone, and without any effects on it.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I'd suggest trying some of the LePou plugins such as LeGion, Le456 and LeCto with the Guitar Hacks impulses. Seriously under-rated stuff and it's all free. Also, TSE 808 if you want a boost.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Now that I'm able to take the time to watch the links you are on about, I see it does involve individual elements so it's a very nice trick... but only useful for songs where the instrument you want to mimic is playing alone, and without any effects on it.

Thats pretty much what I'm thinking. I do a lot of Alt Rock and pretty much everything has FX or is layered in.

Neat trick but prob nothing I'm going to use
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
generally u could add more mids cut some highs and bass, that gives alot of body and note definition, I use a cube 30 original for recording alot of my songs and covers...

for example, This song was recorded with mids all the way up (of course post editing changed tone as well) https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477898
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You've kinda got the idea, but it's horribly fizzy.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!