So, a couple months ago I made the decision that my next guitar shape would be a V. I love holding one while standing up. I love how the neck feels in the highest frets. I also love how its feels against you waist as you stand up. But anyway, when telling everyone around what kind of music I like (70s-80s Heavy/Classic Metal), everyone suggested a Gibson Flying V, ESP V, or a Jackson Rhoads. And every store that sells guitars, doesnt have the ones im looking for (they have the lowest end ESP and Jacksons). So, im not looking to purchase one yet, but I would like to make a decision. I dont know if I want a Floyd Rose on it, or it I want 22 or 24 frets. I love the feel of the ESP necks, and I dont want a bolt-on neck. So, um, how does this go about? I dont want to order it to the store, and not buy it.. kind of a dickish move..
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Whats wrong with bolt-ons? Steve Vai plays bolt ons.
Go play a few with floyds to make that choice. Same for # of frets/ scale.
If you like Esp necks just order a decent Esp V.
If you cant find something half decent to compare to: ??
Order it to a store you dont like so much just in case.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Sep 1, 2011,
Step 1: Order it.

Step 2: Take it home.

Step 3:Play it.

Step 4: If it's not what you want, or you're not ready to decide, take advantage of the 30-day return policy almost all music stores have, and repeat with next guitar, at least then they'll have that guitar on their wall for others to try.

That's the action plan I would take. And don't worry about looking like a dick. Not only do they not know you, but it is their job to help you get what you need, and make a sale.
If the store gives you the option to order it in and try before you buy, then do it. That's what the facility is there for.
Quote by MidniteHaze
So, a couple months ago I made the decision that my next guitar shape would be a V. I love holding one while standing up. I love how the neck feels in the highest frets. I also love how its feels against you waist as you stand up. But anyway, when telling everyone around what kind of music I like (70s-80s Heavy/Classic Metal), everyone suggested a Gibson Flying V, ESP V, or a Jackson Rhoads. And every store that sells guitars, doesnt have the ones im looking for (they have the lowest end ESP and Jacksons). So, im not looking to purchase one yet, but I would like to make a decision. I dont know if I want a Floyd Rose on it, or it I want 22 or 24 frets. I love the feel of the ESP necks, and I dont want a bolt-on neck. So, um, how does this go about? I dont want to order it to the store, and not buy it.. kind of a dickish move..

Go to the store and ask if you can return anything you order. Normally it's not an "all sales are final" type of deal. If you order a guitar and are not happy with it, you shouldn't be stuck with it. If you do happen to be stuck with it, just put it up on CraigsList or something and sell it.

I purchased my ESP Eclipse II online never having played it or heard it. I just looked over the specs a million times and decided that it had all that I wanted and I was willing to buy it.

I did buy a Jackson RR1T once online and didn't care for it, so I sold it on eBay. I ordered an LTD JH-600 through a Sam Ash store, didn't care for the Floyd, and they took it back. They can always put it on the shelf and sell it for the brand new price. Good luck.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I know what you mean, I live out in the middle of nowhere, the nearest store is over 2 hours away and I'm left handed. I'm fairly certain that if you were to go to a store and want to order a guitar, you'd probably have to put down a non refundable deposit on it. If you order it and don't buy, they'll be out money because it's a hard market. I usually just end up buying them sight unseen and have them set up.

My advice to you is to play ones that are similar to those that you're looking at. Logically, you'll be able to sort out what you want by trying that. Maybe see if you can find someone who has one of those to let you try it out. Otherwise you just might have to go all in.
To be honest, all good advice is above, but I STRONGLY recommend the ESP V-300/401. I have the V-300 and after a nice TonePro Bridge upgrade, it is easily my favorite guitar. You might want to get a different neck pickup, BUT the 81 that is in it does what you will need to do well enough.
Carvin makes some awesome V shaped guitars, I would say better than most guitars you would be able to buy in a store. They are a bit pricey, but they are essentially custom guitars for a high-end production guitar price.

As for your question, try a bunch of guitars, not necessarily V shapes, but ones with different bridges and number of frets and neck shapes, and then get a V that replicates those features that you like.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Somekid94
To be honest, all good advice is above, but I STRONGLY recommend the ESP V-300/401. I have the V-300 and after a nice TonePro Bridge upgrade, it is easily my favorite guitar. You might want to get a different neck pickup, BUT the 81 that is in it does what you will need to do well enough.

i love you for quoting me.
OT: i recommend 24 frets, it can never hinder. The floyd is good if you mainly play in one tuning/ use multiple guitars.
in my experience, ESP is the way to go, i have the Alexi 600 and its great. I played a friend's ESP hardtailed V and it was godly...but, on the other hand, i haven't played a high end Jackson.
I know musiciansfriend lets you return stuff, guitar center probably does too.
This is ll grat advice, but I didnt want a 'which guitar' thread.. I want to try them out, because i dont know:
If I want a Floyd Rose on my V.. I have one on my ESP, and I abuse the heck out of it, and maybe I want to get out of the habit? or not?
If I want 22 or 24 frets on a V.. I need help perfecting my bends, and Ive always heard of how 24 frets is a priviledge (ive always had 24). And with easy access to the higher frets, is 24 easier?
Each V has its unique body aspect (cut-aways, size, sharpness of horns, symmetry, etc). I need to know which fits me most.

I just wanted to know how to try the guitar when its never in stock in any stores. But thanks for the advice so far! Ill look for the stores 'order to store' status.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Last edited by MidniteHaze at Sep 1, 2011,
Well, when I was interested in buying an RR5, I went into stored and played the RR24M. I knew based on specs and overall build quality/pricing that they'd feel like pretty similar guitars other than the FR and lack of neck pickup. I then bought an RR5 online, having never played it before. And was quite satisfied. If I wasn't, I would just re-sell it. No big deal really.
Quote by MidniteHaze
This is ll grat advice, but I didnt want a 'which guitar' thread.. I want to try them out, because i dont know:
If I want a Floyd Rose on my V.. I have one on my ESP, and I abuse the heck out of it, and maybe I want to get out of the habit? or not?
If I want 22 or 24 frets on a V.. I need help perfecting my bends, and Ive always heard of how 24 frets is a priviledge (ive always had 24). And with easy access to the higher frets, is 24 easier?
Each V has its unique body aspect (cut-aways, size, sharpness of horns, symmetry, etc). I need to know which fits me most.

I just wanted to know how to try the guitar when its never in stock in any stores. But thanks for the advice so far! Ill look for the stores 'order to store' status.

That's what I said in my comment.
Just go in there, order the V, and if you don't like it take it back. When I'm looking at a new guitar, I'll buy it to see how it tests up to my rig. If you don't know how it's gonna sound without taking it home and hooking up your pedals and amps to it with your sounds, then how do you truly know if you'll like it when you end up buying it.
Find out exactly what you want out of a guitar, find out which brand you prefer, read reviews, and order from a website that offers a 30 day return policy.

Really, if you do your research, you should know exactly what to expect from the guitar before you order it. And you also have to remember, people are more adaptive than one would think. Even though you may have a preference that you are dead set on keeping without exception, you can adapt to slight changes quite painlessly. For instance, if you were dead-set on an Ibanez thin neck, you could easily adapt to a Jackson thin, or ESP thin neck, if you are willing to adapt.

You may or may not be buying a guitar for life, only time will tell, so you just have to get what seems best at the time and just go from there.
I own 10 guitars, only 2 of which I got to try first.

All those who posted about tryouts & return policies are dead on:

Remember, the better retailers want your REPEAT business, so they tend to try to help satisfy you as opposed to dicking you over. My first electric was a Dean Time Capsule Caddy that I had my FLMS order (as a merchant doing a business to business transaction, they had more options about problematic orders). When it arrived, it was a beauty...but it was the wrong one (black, not flamed burst; 2 HB not 3 HB). They contacted Dean, who promptly shipped the correct one.

When my FLMS contacted me that it had arrived, they said I needed to come in that day. So I went there...and was greeted by a senior Dean sales exec, who personally apologized to me for the error. He then told me he'd also like to give me a special deal on the previous one so they wouldn't have to take it back.

I told him I couldn't afford a second TC Caddy for a price even approaching mfg. costs- I'd had to save for the one I wanted- so I told him to give me a hat. The FLMS kept the black one...and have since become one of the biggest Dean sellers in Texas.

Most of the he rest of mine were from luthiers, and my buddies play Carvins, Larrivees and so forth- all would rather you be happy than make a sale to an unhappy customer.

So as long as you stick to a reputable brand or work with a good music store, you really don't need to worry about ordering an instrument without trying it first.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i have gone through around 50 guitars, probably bought 20 without trying, the others came in trades, buying and selling from craigslist over forums, etc.

i don't see what the big deal is about a guitar fitting your hands out of the box. you learn to adapt to it.

i think that playing a wider variety of gear is a good thing, in case at a gig where your guitar fails and you have to use a friends, you will be able to play it, and not be like "OMG baseball bat thick neck i can't play it" and wreck your set.

i on a regular basis play pretty much at the same level on my Gibson with a 50's profile as i do on my Ibanez Prestige 3550MZ which obviously has a very thin neck. i can go back and forth, it really isn't a big deal.

i guess my point is a guitar feeling different isn't feeling bad or inferior, its something else you are used to.

i am probably the exception though.

and get what you want and like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/