Alright guys, here's me predicament. I have all of the necessary equipment to begin recording bands in my area, except for a good way to monitor. Now, the rooms that I monitor in are likely to be shit, due to the nature of my business. I'm moving my stuff to the bands, and not vice versa, so while I can do small things to help treat a room, it won't be anything major.

This weekend at GC, I know I can get the Sennheiser HD280 for about $80, which is as good as I'll find them anywhere. So, my question is, should I get the headphones now, and wait to get monitors, or just spring for monitors now? My budget for monitors would be relatively low at this point, maybe $300, but I figure if I make a bit of money from doing this, monitors might be one of the first things I buy.

So, suggestions, advice, etc? I know mixing with headphones isn't always the best idea, but I think they'd be the easiest way to monitor at this point. Plus, I usually use a combination of headphones and high end speakers when I actually mix, regardless.
Quote by CrossBack7
Alright guys, here's me predicament. I have all of the necessary equipment to begin recording bands in my area, except for a good way to monitor. Now, the rooms that I monitor in are likely to be shit, due to the nature of my business. I'm moving my stuff to the bands, and not vice versa, so while I can do small things to help treat a room, it won't be anything major.

This weekend at GC, I know I can get the Sennheiser HD280 for about $80, which is as good as I'll find them anywhere. So, my question is, should I get the headphones now, and wait to get monitors, or just spring for monitors now? My budget for monitors would be relatively low at this point, maybe $300, but I figure if I make a bit of money from doing this, monitors might be one of the first things I buy.

So, suggestions, advice, etc? I know mixing with headphones isn't always the best idea, but I think they'd be the easiest way to monitor at this point. Plus, I usually use a combination of headphones and high end speakers when I actually mix, regardless.

The 280's are really nice. I had a pair and loved them until I blew a driver. If you're wanting high end studio type mixes then $300 won't really buy you much as far as monitors. I'd say go for the headphones now and save up at least $700 for a nice set of mid-field monitors. I say mid-field because near-field won't give you the bass response and far-field monitors are just ridiculous IMO. Mid-field monitors will give you the best response over the most frequencies. Supplementing it with different speakers later would also be a plus
Yeah, that seemed to be the best idea at this point. Monitors are something I don't really want to half ass either. I have a decent mic set for the moment, so I think I'll probably just go for the headphones for now.

Still open to advice and suggestions though.
I can vouch for the 280 pro's. I'm pretty much in the same position as you, but I'm not really making enough money from recording to justify investing serious money in monitors at the moment. I've done some reasonable mixes using the cans and then double checked them on some nice genelecs at my college's studio, with generally pretty good results. As long as you have some reference mixes & check your mixes afterwards on your CD player, car stereo, ipod etc, using headphones should be fine.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Spend $30 more and get a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s on eBay if you want a good pair of headphones.

Normally, I'd recommend monitors, but unless you've got a dedicated mixing place, I'd rather mix on a nice pair of headphones than in an uncertain room. Obviously, the best option would to be to get the headphones for tracking, and the monitors for mixing at home, if that's possible, if not, I personally wouldn't ever spend more than $200 on a pair of used KRK Rokit 5s, because no matter how great your monitors are, if the room is shit, no pair of monitors is going to be worth more than $200 to lug around.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Spend $30 more and get a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s on eBay if you want a good pair of headphones.

Normally, I'd recommend monitors, but unless you've got a dedicated mixing place, I'd rather mix on a nice pair of headphones than in an uncertain room. Obviously, the best option would to be to get the headphones for tracking, and the monitors for mixing at home, if that's possible, if not, I personally wouldn't ever spend more than $200 on a pair of used KRK Rokit 5s, because no matter how great your monitors are, if the room is shit, no pair of monitors is going to be worth more than $200 to lug around.

Yeah, eventually, I do plan on setting up a mixing place and home and actually treating the room. But yeah, I kind of prefer headphones for tracking. And the ATH, you say? I'll look into them, though I know the Sennheisers are raved about as well.

Edit: I found the ATHs online for the same price as the HD280s, which sounds good. Can anyone tell me if this site is legit?

http://www.candysave.com/audio-technica-ear-cup-headphones-ath-m50-close-back-dynamic-studio-monitor?___store=default&___store=default
Last edited by CrossBack7 at Sep 2, 2011,
If you're after headphones (which seem logical at least as far as tracking on location goes) I'd lean towards Beyer DT100's, as they are incredibly comfortable (which matters more than you might think) and have a pretty flat spectrum, while giving quite good isolation too. Never tried the Sennheiser HD280's, but I had a much lower-level pair of that range and they suited me well for taking to uni for group classes, but did seem a bit consumer-level (hyped low end)... possibly because they were a cheaper pair in the range

Also, like NS-10s, DT100's have one of those fabled reputations so despite my approval of them, I warn you: try them out first, if you can like with anything else, because if you namedrop them while discussing possible models at a store, the assistant will almost certainly do his best to sell them to you with the 'industry standard' bo!!ocks (think Pro Tools, Shure dynamics, Bose home cinema etc.) that they think will guarantee a sale that day.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 2, 2011,
The dt100's are a bit expensive for now, so I'm looking between the ATH M50s or HD280s. Reviews on both are great, but a few people have said the ATHs have slightly recessed mids.

Edit:Also read that the 280s have poor bass impact and a problem with the headband breaking often. They seem great for isolation though.
Last edited by CrossBack7 at Sep 2, 2011,
ATH-M50s are much better than Sennheiser HD280s IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com