I ve played guitar for a few years play some songs scales etc and I really enjoy making up my own riffs.
Hwever, I never understood timing or rhthym or basically how the guiitar works with the drum beat.
I have tried and tried and tried to ask this question to instructors, guys in stores that can play etc. nobody can really give me an answer. this totally baffles me. My theroy is very weak but I know several guys that dont know theory but know how to jam with drums easy.

here is an example ( think almost creeping death fast for this riff 185bpm)
E
B
G
D 2 2 2 2
A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 / 5/ 7
E 5 /3/ 5..................

so here is my questiion. How do I play along with drums using this riff. how do I know im in time or out of time?

I had a guy at work listen to it and he thinks he understands what Im trying to do. Im just not sure how to know its right. I can put it on the website here if anyone wants to hear what Ive got. Ive never put any audio on here before.
Thanks
I believe there is no theory to jam with drums, the most "theory" is about placing the root in the downbeats and modal notes (or blues, or the 7th) in the upbeats

for this aspect of music I just trust my ear
Opus Pocus =]
Listen to your favorite songs and see how the guitar fits into the drum beat. I learned to keep time by playing along with my favorites. It also helps to understand how to count beats. In a 4/4 like most rock/metal the first beat has a very strong emphasis, and the 3rd one has emphasis but not as strong as the first. Maybe somebody else can explain this better than me, I really need a song and face to face contact to explain it.

After you have the basics of keeping time it comes fast and fairly easy. I would also recommend that you start learning on a basic 4/4 meter, it is the easiest and most common.
Quote by Art Vandalay
I learned to keep time by playing along with my favorites.

Have you tried this?

I'm assuming you have a basic understand of beats and rhythm, but just have trouble fitting the guitar notes into this beat.

Start listening to the music that you like closely. Where are the guitar notes landing on? Remember how this feels, then try and replicate it initially. There should be a major difference between playing in beat and, well, not playing in beat.

Your tab is very messy. Try using monospaced fonts, such as Courier New (notice all the alphabets are of the same space) to organise it.

I'll try working on your tab just based on your open A.

A 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 / 5/ 7
...^.........^..........^.........^

The ^ represents the beat. It seems like a riff without any complex rhythm or anything to me, so one way of playing it would be to play 4 notes every beat.

Edit: Not sure if it works for you, but you can try coming up with some guitar riff or lick in your head. I don't know about you, but I subconsciously emphasize notes that are played on the beat. Those emphasized notes could simply be your drums.
Last edited by triface at Sep 1, 2011,
If there is a drummer playing a beat, it should be pretty intuitive to note where the accents are. A simple route would be to emphasize the accents with the drummer. So, for a random simple example, suppose the drummer is accenting like this (bolds for accents): 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. You can easily come up with a part by playing chords or individual notes on the emphasized beats.

Otherwise, I really have no idea how anyone can possibly tell you how to have a sense of rythm. A drummer sets a pulse and tempo, and you just lock in with that and go from there. No amount of music theory can teach you to be rythmic. Rythm is just an inherent part of music. I suspect the reason why noone has given you an answer that you want is because you're essentially asking, in an abstract way, "how do I have a sense of rythm?".
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by Brainpolice2
If there is a drummer playing a beat, it should be pretty intuitive to note where the accents are. A simple route would be to emphasize the accents with the drummer. So, for a random simple example, suppose the drummer is accenting like this (bolds for accents): 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. You can easily come up with a part by playing chords or individual notes on the emphasized beats.

Otherwise, I really have no idea how anyone can possibly tell you how to have a sense of rythm. A drummer sets a pulse and tempo, and you just lock in with that and go from there. No amount of music theory can teach you to be rythmic. Rythm is just an inherent part of music. I suspect the reason why noone has given you an answer that you want is because you're essentially asking, in an abstract way, "how do I have a sense of rythm?".

Let's take an easy song like dirty deeds. What are the accents the drummer is putting in? Snare, hihat, bass drum? And what guise part is being played on the accented beat?

Like mentioned above I basically have trouble figuring out where the guitar notes fit in.

I can play creeping death( not perfect but for the most part) and I can play a toute la monde. Creeping death is almost easier because I just play it really fast, a tour le monde is tough because it's so slow I always end up playing it too fast.
Not sure if that helps...
Quote by shotclock
I can play creeping death( not perfect but for the most part) and I can play a toute la monde. Creeping death is almost easier because I just play it really fast, a tour le monde is tough because it's so slow I always end up playing it too fast.
Not sure if that helps...

Have you tried playing along to the actual song? I believe I built up my sense of rhythm from repeatedly playing along with the songs.

If you're doing that, but are still playing it too fast, why don't you just try hitting the notes at the same time? It seems you may be too focused on trying to find the actual rhythm and playing to the rhythm, not the song.
A metronome is your friend, no matter how many other guitarists glare at you when you put it on or use it
An rhythm is your life line , everything is equally as important but less important than rhythm and melody =D