Hi folks 8D So I'm thinking of changing my strings soon, and it will be the first time I've changed strings, so after looking around on the internet I've found that some places say to take the strings off and replace them one at a time because of the tension thing unless you're a professional, and others say its okay to take them all off at once.

My issue is, I'm one of those weird people who clean their guitars semi-often, and it's full time now to clean my fretboard, and my frets because they're starting to tarnish; for that I'd have to take off all the strings at once, correct? My own sense tells me that it would be okay for me to take all the strings off since it would only be for a short time, and no radical warping or something is gonna happen in that half-or-whatever-hour to seriously mess up my guitar..... right? I'm also paranoid about that. XD

So basically I just want to check first what's the popular consensus among you guys, being more experienced with this than I am. Go for it? Don't do it?
go for it
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by 0orangez
My own sense tells me that it would be okay for me to take all the strings off since it would only be for a short time.

If you have a trem make sure to jam something under it so it dosent fall out.
perfectly fine, no need to rush much either.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by DimebagZappa
If you have a trem make sure to jam something under it so it dosent fall out.

Yup, as long as you keep spring tension you should be okay.

clean the frets with #0000 steel wool and a toothbrush, just make sure to use masking tape to tape off the fretboard beforehand so you don't scratch the finish (on maple or finished necks) or get wool fragments in the grain of the wood (on rosewood or unfinished fretboards).

You can condition an unfinished fretboard with some lemon oil, but avoid that finished boards like maple because it can dry them out. For those, I would use some lighter fluid and buff everything out, maybe some tung oil too.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Yep, your guitar will be just fine as long as you dont take off like, half the strings and leave it there.
The only issue with taking all the strings off is the reklief in your neck will most likely change. The Truss Rod in a well setup guitar is adjusted to counteract the pull of the strings on the neck. When you remove the strings there's only one force left (not two opposing ones) and the neck often quickly moves towards straight or over bow. Then you put the strings back on but with 2 forces now at work again, the neck can take significantly longer to come back to where it was in the beginning (it will eventually though as long as the strings gauge and pitch are the same & you don't f**k with the truss rod). Sometimes it can take a couple of days. This means you may get some buzzing till the neck returns. People often mistakenly blame the new strings instead for this buzz. Anyway you can take them all off and be prepared for a day ot two of buzz, replace one at a time or if yu're confident in setups, pre-loosen the truss rod a bit before removing the strings then re-adjust when finished.
Moving on.....
Dont worry about it, I always take all my strings offf at once so I can clean the fretboard and whatnot.
Woohoo! Thanks for the insight everyone! I think my strings do still have a little life left in them, though there's tarnish and tiny rust marks on some parts of the lower strings, so I'm not changing them immediately per se but I think the time is coming rather sooner than later (maybe within the next 3 or so weeks)... I've already got my 3-pack of strings bought lol.

Also I have an Epi LP Special II so I don't have any tremolo to worry about.

@stonyman65 With regards to cleaning, I got the Dunlop System 65 kit a while back that I've been using to clean the body so I'm all set with cleaning solutions/materials

@KenG Okay! Thanks for the heads up! Knowing me I would prolly try to adjust the bridge height or something XD; (Not quite pro/brave enough to even think about truss rod..) I adjusted the action on my own for the first time back when it got warm, after about two weeks without playing... yeah it didn't sound good at all. 8| Fixing it was a pain in the a** but fun at the same time XD (Dunno if my idea was right.. but whatever I did worked lol)
Last edited by 0orangez at Sep 2, 2011,
Dude strings aren't tires, they don't "lose their meat", the reason you change them often is because the become rusty and lose tone and sustain. And there's a special sound if the first days after replacing strings so that's another reason.
If you have the same strings you got from the factory you should have replaced them when you just got the guitar, they most probably spent too much time already even though no one played them.
BTW the action never changes unless you manually change it
Quote by gnr_tb
Dude strings aren't tires, they don't "lose their meat", the reason you change them often is because the become rusty and lose tone and sustain. And there's a special sound if the first days after replacing strings so that's another reason.
If you have the same strings you got from the factory you should have replaced them when you just got the guitar, they most probably spent too much time already even though no one played them.
BTW the action never changes unless you manually change it

If he has a TOM the lack of strings on it often make the thumb wheels so loose they move very easily on their own when manipulating the guitar. Many will put rubber bands on the bridge to keep it in position till the strings are back on (see P Balmer's Book on the Gibson guitar).
If you're refering to the truss rod (which is relief, not action, but some mess the two up as well) yeah it does change when the strings are off, when gauges are changed up or down or tunings are changed.
Moving on.....
Quote by 0orangez
Woohoo! Thanks for the insight everyone! I think my strings do still have a little life left in them, though there's tarnish and tiny rust marks on some parts of the lower strings, so I'm not changing them immediately per se but I think the time is coming rather sooner than later (maybe within the next 3 or so weeks)... I've already got my 3-pack of strings bought lol.

Also I have an Epi LP Special II so I don't have any tremolo to worry about.

@stonyman65 With regards to cleaning, I got the Dunlop System 65 kit a while back that I've been using to clean the body so I'm all set with cleaning solutions/materials

@KenG Okay! Thanks for the heads up! Knowing me I would prolly try to adjust the bridge height or something XD; (Not quite pro/brave enough to even think about truss rod..) I adjusted the action on my own for the first time back when it got warm, after about two weeks without playing... yeah it didn't sound good at all. 8| Fixing it was a pain in the a** but fun at the same time XD (Dunno if my idea was right.. but whatever I did worked lol)

How long have you had the strings on??
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Since I got it in February. Is it still too soon? D: (Or am I way overdue? lol) I was thinking it was soon time because of how they look, and they're not all that smooth to slide on anymore in the most worn parts, unless I put on some string cleaner...

I used to play everyday for the first couple months but after that I got a bit busy so now it's down to about 1-3 times a week or so, if that makes any difference....
Last edited by 0orangez at Sep 2, 2011,
You are WAAAAYYYY overdue. Strings should should be changed like... Every month or so.
@gnr_tb Yeah they're the factory strings ^^; I guess I have no excuse not to change them now XD; And I'm not quite sure what happened.. but when I picked it back up after that long while, I was getting a buzz on 1st fret along with 2nd on some strings... either way that was months ago and it's all good now, lol
Quote by Somekid94
You are WAAAAYYYY overdue. Strings should should be changed like... Every month or so.

I barely play more than a few times a week now though.. And no more than an hour. Even so?
I recommend looking up ElixerStringsMedia up on youtube. As you can plainly see, it's some guys from the company that makes Elixer strings, and they show you some very good tips and ways to clean and maintain your guitar, including how to change strings properly. They helped me out recently, and the way they show the process and how to do it is really easy and simple to follow
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater